Used 1998 Buick Regal Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Buick Regal - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Regal model:

19998 buick regal will last forever
By justintawney

1998 Buick Regal Sedan 25th Anniversary 4dr Sedan

I am 20 got this beast when I was 1 got it at 230,000 miles it now has 273.000 miles on it haven't changed the oil in about 20,000 miles.. getting bad but will soon and just took two trips 250miles away and made it perfectly!! seats are ripping up changed the speakers all banged up ive been off roading in it sort of. never got stuck only problem was the thermostat went out and the mass air flow sensor went out. other then that I should get well over 300,000 miles soon. and hopefully more to come!! ive gone through so much with this car im running this tank to the ground!!!! oh yeah I bought it for 500 bucks.

Favorite Features

its a fucking tank!! and lasts a lifetime and more!!

Suggested Improvements

new stereo subs window tinting and your good to go (;

Loved this car!
By laeli_

1998 Buick Regal Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

Got this car from a relative at 100,000 miles. It was by far my favorite car that I've owned. It was well maintained, and never gave me any problems at all. The driver window motor did eventually go out, but that was really the only problem I ever had. It felt like a luxury car, and the supercharger made it really fun to drive. I put 30,000 miles on it in a year, but it drove like brand new. It got pretty good mileage (I averaged about 23 MPG) It was a safe car too, someone rear-ended me on the freeway doing 50 and pushed me into the car ahead of me. Unfortunately, this totalled my car, but my passenger and I walked away without a scratch. I'd buy this car again in a heartbeat.

Favorite Features

Supercharger, dual front A/C and heat, size, pickup, roomy interior, comfortable, and of course, it looked really nice. (:

1998 Regal GS
By vamadman

1998 Buick Regal Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

We bought this car new in 1998 at a dealership in Phoenix and it is loaded. We liked the styling and comfort along with the sporty feeling it has. Over the years we have had to replace the alternator, plugs, wires, HVAC head, front rotors twice, blower motor and steering rack. These items are minor to me and do not sway how I feel about this classic cruiser. Love the supercharger and handling. It is in the body shop right now getting a new paint job as the water based paint from factory was peeling off on all of the horizontal surfaces. Can't wait to get our rocketship home again. It is worth putting the money into fixing as new car payments are outrageous. Great road car.

Favorite Features

Best things about this car is performance and styling. We installed custom woodgrain dash kit to match power window button surfaces which jazzed up the interior. Grey leather interior has held up well and looks new after 15 years. Handling and comfort along with good highway mileage are some of the things we like about our GS.

Suggested Improvements

GM should abandon use of water based enamel paints on vehicles. Paint lets loose from the primer and comes off in sheets.

'98 Regal- Great!
By Cole

1998 Buick Regal Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I'm 18, so you don't see many people my age driving this car. However, I needed something with more legroom than my Camry that I had. I've owned it for 8 months,and other than the window regulator needing replaced, no problems. Just took it on a 600 mile trip and the car does not have a single rattle or shake anywhere, cruise control and comfort of the seats on that long trip were amazing. This car still drives like a new one, and Buick has made a lifelong customer out of me, don't miss the Toyota at all, this car is just better in all aspects. MPG is not bad for a car of this size, about 28 on the highway.

Favorite Features

Leg room, power, steering wheel controls, keyless entry, mute button (great if you get a phone call), tone adjuster for different types of music, looks.

Suggested Improvements

Put a trunk release inside the car, power seat for passenger, CD player should have been standard for '98 in my opinion. A year ago I would have said bring the Regal back, but they have and the new 2011 looks better than ever.

Toe to Toe with Toyota
By 2 Regal owner GS/LS

1998 Buick Regal Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

Original used Toyota as benchmark. Regal matched Toyota w/o paying the premium. Have owned GS and LS. (98&99) Love the supercharger but it has added to service costs. 2X CD failures in factory radio. Change oil every 3K and service transmission + filter change every 2 years and this car will get you down the road in comfort plus tight handling (GS). LS fast enough just have to stomp on gas to get the performance. Electric Windows are the biggest weakness. I just lost my GS to freakish but major engine fire. Something shorted at firewall after my daughter got home from church. Even with freakish engine fire will likely replace this with another Regal.

Favorite Features

Radio/Cd controls on sterring wheel

Suggested Improvements

Very weak fragile cup holder design! Cup holders have broken on both my Regals. Have to wedge my coffee mug next to my hip. Needs stronger window glass clips. Can't repair and very expensive to replace whole unit.