Used 1998 Buick Regal LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Buick Regal - Consumer Reviews

1998 Buick Regal

View reviews for a specific Regal model:

'98 Regal- Great!
By Cole

1998 Buick Regal LS 4dr Sedan

I'm 18, so you don't see many people my age driving this car. However, I needed something with more legroom than my Camry that I had. I've owned it for 8 months,and other than the window regulator needing replaced, no problems. Just took it on a 600 mile trip and the car does not have a single rattle or shake anywhere, cruise control and comfort of the seats on that long trip were amazing. This car still drives like a new one, and Buick has made a lifelong customer out of me, don't miss the Toyota at all, this car is just better in all aspects. MPG is not bad for a car of this size, about 28 on the highway.

Favorite Features

Leg room, power, steering wheel controls, keyless entry, mute button (great if you get a phone call), tone adjuster for different types of music, looks.

Suggested Improvements

Put a trunk release inside the car, power seat for passenger, CD player should have been standard for '98 in my opinion. A year ago I would have said bring the Regal back, but they have and the new 2011 looks better than ever.

Great
By cole

1998 Buick Regal LS 4dr Sedan

I'm only 18, so I know I'm not the typical Buick driver. I had a 98 Toyota Camry, but it was too small and was starting to have problems, so I was looking for something both larger and American made. I found a great deal on this car, with only 53,000 miles on it. Its black, it looks great, I love all the room, it performs well, and it does awesome in the snow. I really like the car, and would pick it over the Camry any day, and because they're the same year, I feel like I could do a pretty good comparison. 3800 is a great engine, my next car will be a Buick.

Favorite Features

Looks, room, steering wheel controls, keyless entry, 3800 engine, all things the Toyota didn't have

Suggested Improvements

Bring it back... they are this spring, so NONE!!!!

Meets expectations
By wkb

1998 Buick Regal LS 4dr Sedan

I bought my Regal LS with 17,000 miles on it - previously owned by an elderly couple that rarely drove it very far. Since then I have put 100,000 mostly hwy miles on it and had only two costly repairs: replace valve gaskets @104,000 and replace starter moter @111,000. I try to keep my cars forever and 'over maintain' them, but 10 years is about the limit for a 90s GM car, unfortunately. Little things start adding up: sealed headlights are starting to fog up as moisture gets into them, trunk seals are failing somewhere letting rain in, plastic exterior trim pieces are starting to show their age and lack of quality. Too bad - I think the engine will run forever.

Favorite Features

What I like is the responsive wheel and great gas mileage (I can get 30mpg highway - this is not the turbo- charged model).

Suggested Improvements

What I don't like is the plastic interior (the cup holder broke a long time ago), and the lack of lower back support in the seats.

Automotive comfort food....perfect !
By Jeff in Ohio

1998 Buick Regal LS 4dr Sedan

I simply cannot say enough in favour of this great car. I had a Cutlass Ciera before this and the Regal way outclasses that as you might expect. I wanted a cruising-type ride as I have a long freeway commute every day, and something that would handle IT tech calls to businesses with comfort and classy style. Back then "Government Motors" could sure build 'em. 96K miles and routine maintenance only. This is a tank-- solid and safe and substantial in every way. Not sportscar handling, but that's what Pontiacs (were) for. This will float you down the interstate in a plush cocoon, and deliver you calm and relaxed. It's automotive comfort food, nearly perfect. Ps. Look for Canadian-built.

Favorite Features

V-6 power ! A real road-trip cruiser. Soothing ride. Quiet cabin. Power everything. CD stereo sounds great. Comfy seats--for a "42 Short" the 6- way adjustment is welcome--you sit up higher than in most cars. The styling is refined, and doesn't attract tickets. Sometimes the "old man" knows best !

Suggested Improvements

Do something about the annoying pop-up cupholders. Flimsy and always in the way, a sour note in an otherwise sweet and mellow car.

Good car, but expensive to fix
By Shadow

1998 Buick Regal LS 4dr Sedan

I bought my car in 2007 and at the time of buying I did not know it had all the problems it does. I have to get the turn signal switch fixed ($700), brighter headlights ($100), sway bar (200) and an alighment ($70). And now I'm having another problem where sometimes it stalls out and yesterday it wouldn't start for me and when I did get it started I had to turn off the radio and the security light was on. Many problems but an overall good car.

Favorite Features

The power

Suggested Improvements

The headlight design and more durable parts that don't cost an arm and a leg to buy.