Used 1997 Buick Regal GS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Buick Regal - Consumer Reviews

1997 Buick Regal Sedan

View reviews for a specific Regal model:

I love my Regal
By GWilson

1997 Buick Regal Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

Got my Regal GS back in September. I have been very pleased with this $1900 in every aspect except the fuel usage (of 93 no less). I get an averaged combined of 16 mpg. Its up from the 14.5 I got before I changed the fuel filter, air filter, and added injector cleaner @1500 miles ago. But that is unacceptable considering its rated at 19mpg combined. Also the rear windows dont work. The seats are not particularly comfy and the ac blows heat sometimes. BUUUUUTTT its fast for a big ol granpa sedan. Also its very reliable.

Favorite Features

Engine, Steering wheel controls,

Suggested Improvements

Well the new Regal looks like quite the improvement. But realistically the LaCrosse is the real successor (size and price are more similar)

Started Off Bad, Ended Up Great!
By Kevin Hoffman

1997 Buick Regal Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

I bought my Regal GS used with 58,000 miles. I chose the GS over the LS because of it's sharper handling. Less than a month after my purchase, the supercharger went bad and the car wouldn't start! But it was repaired in less than a week. Shortly after, the front passenger footwell began filling with water after a hard rain. It took the dealership two weeks to remedy that problem. But from then on I had no problems. The car's accelleration is great and ride comfort is excellent. Fuel ecomony with the supercharger isn't great, but could be worse. The stereo system has great sound. Leather seats held up very well. Despite my problems, I would still reccomend the Regal,

Favorite Features

Great accelleration and ride comfort. Good legroom front and back. Large trunk. Fairly sporty looks. Very quiet engine, even with the supercharger whine! Good instrumentation. Large digital clock.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy could be better. Averaged 19 mpg at start but by adjusting my driving habits I was soon up to 21 mpg. Interior materials (cupholders and armrest storage lid are very flimsy.

Let me tell you a little secret...
By Eric

1997 Buick Regal Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

After exhausting research for a third round vehicle (~100K, well maintained, clean), I decided to go with the Buick GS. For $4300, I stole this car. (Which, by the way was the private party value). Fully loaded and fast as heck, I couldn't be happier. Read these reviews, they are true. For a 1997 that has the same styling as a 2004, I have what others think is a newer car, 36mpg at 55mph, 240HP on tap, incredibly comfortable seating, and a record of superior reliability and safety. I turned down Camrys, Accords, Volvos, and countless others. I pay $298/year for 250/500 insurance in NY (no collision), and found this to be the most cost effective, fun to drive foreign or domestic vehicle

Favorite Features

Power, economy, comfort, standard options, soft quiet ride, safety, reliability of the 3800 II supercharged engine, and the tight, aggressive (perf shift on) or silky smooth (perf shift off) transmission. People think its a grandpa car (Buick stigma). This helped me to afford it!! new = $28,000

Suggested Improvements

Cupholder is designed by James Bond wannabe and is as functional as a swing for an elephant. Radio is mediocre in this year. Monsoon available in 1999, and is not interchangeable. Sunroof can't be opened unless ignition is on. My wife thinks it's a grandpa car and doesn't want to be seen in it.

Bought another
By Happy GS

1997 Buick Regal Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

After selling our last (97), not my choice, I have purchased another. The car is great to drive always bringing a smile. Comfortable on long trips with good mpg. The only maintence I needed was the normal, belts, brakes, etc. The only other sedan I compare it to is my Cad Seville. For the money it's a really good all around car. My only complant is the drink holder. Now that is cheap.

Favorite Features

Lots of power and fun to drive. Comfortable on long trips. Lack of maintence issues. Good mpg.

Suggested Improvements

Interior could have been designed a little better.

4 years later...
By Nick D

1997 Buick Regal Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

Posted previous review on 5/15/03. Four years after purchasing w/56K mi I've come to appreciate my GS more. Now has 130K mi and since 12/01 my GS has had no mechanical problems except for 2 pwr window motors going out. Only needed tires, belts, and fluids. Amazing, really. Brake noise still there; looks not too appealing (like another reviewer said, looks like a Buick); interior just ok. But an extremely reliable car. Wife wants a BMW 525. I want another GS!

Favorite Features

Supercharged engine. Reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes; improved interior leather; pwr windows.