1997 Buick Regal - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Regal model:
Good ole 3800's
By teleport on 11/27/13 10:25 AM (PST)

1997 Buick Regal LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in October 2012 with 160K miles on it for 1300 dollars. It's beat up, neglected, and been abused by it's previous teenage owners. The engine is 16 years old and has never let me down. I replaced the water pump and two faulty coolant elbows. All four struts were pretty shot, and I replaced the rear ones. I did pads and rotors all around. Total spent for parts is under 500 bucks including oil changes. I'm getting close to 170K and haven't touched it since I did the original work when I bought it. I'll do plugs/filters in the spring and let that carry me to 200K. The 3800 series II is easy to work on - I have little mechanical experience.

200,000+ miles, still going strong
By ihanson on 01/02/13 14:56 PM (PST)

1997 Buick Regal LS 4dr Sedan

I inherited this car from my parents as they moved on to a newer vehicle (Volvo S60). We've had it in our family for about 10 years now and it's served us well - I just ticked over 201,000 miles this week and the car still runs great. Even though the car is 15 years old, it still has most of what I want in a car: smooth ride, nice pick-up when needed, reasonable MPG (25 combined, 27-28 hwy), leather, sunroof, premium audio (aftermarket), seat warmer (aftermarket) and nice handling in winter weather. One funny note was that I recently visited the junk yard to look for a spare part (armrest) and all of the Regals were newer than mine (1997), hehe. Guess they last if you take care of them!

Dangerous
By George Connor on 02/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Buick Regal LS 4dr Sedan

In the last 3 months our steering went out on my family twice putting us in a very dangerous position. Did GMC stand behing there product-"no" my vin identification is not within the range of the federal recall. Please do not buy a GMC product if you value your safety. I have my car waiting for its second repair, but i refuse to put my family behind the wheel(or lack of) again. I have a useless Car.