1997 Buick Regal - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Regal model:
I love my Regal
By GWilson on 04/24/10 15:43 PM (PDT)

1997 Buick Regal GS 4dr Sedan

Got my Regal GS back in September. I have been very pleased with this $1900 in every aspect except the fuel usage (of 93 no less). I get an averaged combined of 16 mpg. Its up from the 14.5 I got before I changed the fuel filter, air filter, and added injector cleaner @1500 miles ago. But that is unacceptable considering its rated at 19mpg combined. Also the rear windows dont work. The seats are not particularly comfy and the ac blows heat sometimes. BUUUUUTTT its fast for a big ol granpa sedan. Also its very reliable.

Started Off Bad, Ended Up Great!
By Kevin Hoffman on 01/21/10 21:53 PM (PST)

1997 Buick Regal GS 4dr Sedan

I bought my Regal GS used with 58,000 miles. I chose the GS over the LS because of it's sharper handling. Less than a month after my purchase, the supercharger went bad and the car wouldn't start! But it was repaired in less than a week. Shortly after, the front passenger footwell began filling with water after a hard rain. It took the dealership two weeks to remedy that problem. But from then on I had no problems. The car's accelleration is great and ride comfort is excellent. Fuel ecomony with the supercharger isn't great, but could be worse. The stereo system has great sound. Leather seats held up very well. Despite my problems, I would still reccomend the Regal,

Let me tell you a little secret...
By Eric on 05/12/06 19:22 PM (PDT)

1997 Buick Regal GS 4dr Sedan

After exhausting research for a third round vehicle (~100K, well maintained, clean), I decided to go with the Buick GS. For $4300, I stole this car. (Which, by the way was the private party value). Fully loaded and fast as heck, I couldn't be happier. Read these reviews, they are true. For a 1997 that has the same styling as a 2004, I have what others think is a newer car, 36mpg at 55mph, 240HP on tap, incredibly comfortable seating, and a record of superior reliability and safety. I turned down Camrys, Accords, Volvos, and countless others. I pay $298/year for 250/500 insurance in NY (no collision), and found this to be the most cost effective, fun to drive foreign or domestic vehicle

Bought another
By Happy GS on 03/07/06 23:28 PM (PST)

1997 Buick Regal GS 4dr Sedan

After selling our last (97), not my choice, I have purchased another. The car is great to drive always bringing a smile. Comfortable on long trips with good mpg. The only maintence I needed was the normal, belts, brakes, etc. The only other sedan I compare it to is my Cad Seville. For the money it's a really good all around car. My only complant is the drink holder. Now that is cheap.

4 years later...
By Nick D on 01/05/06 23:56 PM (PST)

1997 Buick Regal GS 4dr Sedan

Posted previous review on 5/15/03. Four years after purchasing w/56K mi I've come to appreciate my GS more. Now has 130K mi and since 12/01 my GS has had no mechanical problems except for 2 pwr window motors going out. Only needed tires, belts, and fluids. Amazing, really. Brake noise still there; looks not too appealing (like another reviewer said, looks like a Buick); interior just ok. But an extremely reliable car. Wife wants a BMW 525. I want another GS!

Tiger in sheep's clothing
By Art on 11/25/05 02:29 AM (PST)

1997 Buick Regal GS 4dr Sedan

Bought this car for my high school- bound son. We test drove it and he immediately asked me to buy it for him. Good student, good grades etc.. so I purchased the vehicle. Fast and comfortable, his friends are now wanting to purchase one. Wish I had purchased for myself and wife as she prefers to drive it more than her 2005 GTO, says it is more roomy and comfortable.

Best I've had
By Harry on 05/24/05 15:52 PM (PDT)

1997 Buick Regal GS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 40K miles on it from a local dealer. I've only had 2 problems with it that required a shop's intervention and it hasn't left us stranded. With over 93000 miles on it, I've only noticed 1 intermittent squeek or rattle, the doors still click closed, the engine still starts with just a touch of the key and I couldn't be happier with it. The supercharger adds that extra kick and the engine isn't hard to modify for those who want some extra HP.

I love it so much I'm getting another on
By happywithmybuick on 05/24/05 09:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Buick Regal GS 4dr Sedan

We ordered this car new in '97, put 140,000 miles on it with NO problems. We sold it to our neighbor for his college bound daughter and we just bought a used 2004 with 14,000 miles on it. They discontinued the car so I couldn't find a new one. I could not find a car that performed like this one in its price range. I was even willing to spend more and drove the Acura TL. I didn't like the ride nor the performance as well as the Buick. I feel so strongly about this car I had to let people know what a great find it is. Buick did a poor job of marketing it or they would have sold more. Even Consumer Report rates it high. That's unheard of for an American car.

Overall Best GM Before 2000
By BuickEnthst on 01/05/05 00:11 AM (PST)

1997 Buick Regal GS 4dr Sedan

Bought this vehicle after owning an 85 Buick. This car provides me with generous torque and really moves around town when the super kicks in. I was expecting a little bit softer ride from a Buick, but the comfortable seats compensate well. This car is no light kitty in the corners but the wide tires stick incredibly well on on/off ramps and in long sweepers. I'm gradually developing small quibbles over the traditional American build quality, but nothing that taints my overall happiness with this vehicle. Mileage could be better, but the supercharged power is worth the sacrifice. These cars are hard to find used with low miles, but if you can find one jump on it immediately!

I love this car!!!!!!
By Tony,WI on 05/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Buick Regal GS 4dr Sedan

What a sleeper and a great find. We bought this car new and it now has 120,000 miles on it. The only repair was a waterpump at 95K. Buick is making a big mistake by taking this car off the market. They should have done a better job marketing the GS. It's a power house. I wish I could buy another new one. If you like performance and comfort. This is the car.