Used 1997 Buick Regal LS Consumer Reviews - 3 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Buick Regal - Consumer Reviews

1997 Buick Regal

View reviews for a specific Regal model:

Good ole 3800's
By teleport

1997 Buick Regal LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in October 2012 with 160K miles on it for 1300 dollars. It's beat up, neglected, and been abused by it's previous teenage owners.
The engine is 16 years old and has never let me down. I replaced the water pump and two faulty coolant elbows. All four struts were pretty shot, and I replaced the rear ones. I did pads and rotors all around.
Total spent for parts is under 500 bucks including oil changes. I'm getting close to 170K and haven't touched it since I did the original work when I bought it. I'll do plugs/filters in the spring and let that carry me to 200K.
The 3800 series II is easy to work on - I have little mechanical experience.

Update: The timing chain stopped being a chain in June 2015. The engine had 201k miles on it. The only work additional work I had done to the car before it's death was regular maintenance like pads/rotors/oil change. I put a lot of miles on this car - 50+ a day commuting, and plenty of driving on the weekend. Until the day the camshaft and crankshaft stopped talking - it never failed me.

200,000+ miles, still going strong
By ihanson

1997 Buick Regal LS 4dr Sedan

I inherited this car from my parents as they moved on to a newer vehicle (Volvo S60).
We've had it in our family for about 10 years now and it's served us well - I just ticked over 201,000 miles this week and the car still runs great.
Even though the car is 15 years old, it still has most of what I want in a car: smooth ride, nice pick-up when needed, reasonable MPG (25 combined, 27-28 hwy), leather, sunroof, premium audio (aftermarket), seat warmer (aftermarket) and nice handling in winter weather.
One funny note was that I recently visited the junk yard to look for a spare part (armrest) and all of the Regals were newer than mine (1997), hehe.
Guess they last if you take care of them!

More sturdy cup holders - both of mine are broken

Dangerous
By George Connor

In the last 3 months our steering went
out on my family twice putting us in a
very dangerous position. Did GMC stand
behing there product-"no" my vin
identification is not within the range
of the federal recall. Please do not
buy a GMC product if you value your
safety. I have my car waiting for its
second repair, but i refuse to put my
family behind the wheel(or lack of)
again. I have a useless Car.

Paying the $3000.00 worth of repairs in the last 18months.

Hire a new engineering staff.