First car and boy do I miss it
By dperry25 on
1996 Buick Regal Gran Sport 4dr Sedan
My father bought this car back in 2005 with around 90,000 miles or so. We had to have the transmission rebuilt by AAMCO because some little piece inside of it broke and it had trouble starting and going into reverse. the AAMCO tech said the problem is so rare he guarantees it won't happen again. And it did not! not only that, but we never had any more issues out of the car. It was turned over to me in 2011 with 122k. At 130k, I lost control of the car while making a turn and slid into a curb at 55 mph. The car's frame had twisted and the car was totaled. I shed a few tears when I heard this. What a great car. Was looking for another...but hard to find, everyone who has one loves it!
Favorite Features
everything. this car was fully loaded. it also was in great shape and looked very good for an "ugly" car :p. It was super reliable and great on gas for it's size/age. it's a bit of a pain to work on, even simple things such as spark plugs...I had to take to my mechanic because the 3800 engine has to be tilted to access the back plugs. After the spark plug change, my mileage went from 18 mpg highway to 27 mpg. even got 30 on a long drive once. it was fast, i can't tell you how many unsuspecting people in riced out civics I've left behind at stoplights. Step on the gas and it'll spin tires.
Suggested Improvements
The car is amazing as it is. the only slight annoyance with this car was the fuel gauge would float. When the tank was full, it would be still, but after a few gallons were burned, the gauge would float around turns, when braking, and when accelerating. it was still pretty accurate despite this. I guess it was kind of helpful because the gauge also stopped floating when it was on E...that told me to get gas ASAP! lol. apparently a new sending unit isn't the fix, as this is normal for this car. it even said it in my manual. I LOVED this car. no improvements needed!