Used 1996 Buick Regal Gran Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Buick Regal - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Regal model:

First car and boy do I miss it
By dperry25

1996 Buick Regal Gran Sport 4dr Sedan

My father bought this car back in 2005 with around 90,000 miles or so. We had to have the transmission rebuilt by AAMCO because some little piece inside of it broke and it had trouble starting and going into reverse. the AAMCO tech said the problem is so rare he guarantees it won't happen again. And it did not! not only that, but we never had any more issues out of the car. It was turned over to me in 2011 with 122k. At 130k, I lost control of the car while making a turn and slid into a curb at 55 mph. The car's frame had twisted and the car was totaled. I shed a few tears when I heard this. What a great car. Was looking for another...but hard to find, everyone who has one loves it!

everything. this car was fully loaded. it also was in great shape and looked very good for an "ugly" car :p. It was super reliable and great on gas for it's size/age. it's a bit of a pain to work on, even simple things such as spark plugs...I had to take to my mechanic because the 3800 engine has to be tilted to access the back plugs. After the spark plug change, my mileage went from 18 mpg highway to 27 mpg. even got 30 on a long drive once. it was fast, i can't tell you how many unsuspecting people in riced out civics I've left behind at stoplights. Step on the gas and it'll spin tires.

The car is amazing as it is. the only slight annoyance with this car was the fuel gauge would float. When the tank was full, it would be still, but after a few gallons were burned, the gauge would float around turns, when braking, and when accelerating. it was still pretty accurate despite this. I guess it was kind of helpful because the gauge also stopped floating when it was on E...that told me to get gas ASAP! lol. apparently a new sending unit isn't the fix, as this is normal for this car. it even said it in my manual. I LOVED this car. no improvements needed!

Interior light & door locks
By Lou C

1996 Buick Regal Gran Sport 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 61,000 on it.Now 116,000. Drives great, good mileage, Body good. Skylight does not work and the door locks clicks off and on. The interior lights will not go off. Mechanic tells me parts to repair are no longer available. If any one knows how to get parts would be most helpful.

Easy to drive . Power steering great. Seats are comfortable. had to replace stereo, radiator, alternator .

Moving power steering fill to the front where it can be reached.

96 Regal GS
By SoBig

1996 Buick Regal Gran Sport 4dr Sedan

I've owned my 96 Regal GS for 3 years now and it's been a joy to own and drive. The only major fix was replacing the fuel pump a few years ago but, other than that, have just performed regular maint. It's got good power and performance with great gas mileage for the vehicle type. Even with it being 9 years old, it's still in excellent condition and looks better than the newer Buicks on the road.

The engine; the full leather interior; the chrome rims

Didn't come with a supercharger this year. Only wish that it had.

Solid, strong car
By SleeStaK911

1996 Buick Regal Gran Sport 4dr Sedan

Bought this as a program car with 19k on it. Lots of power, nice anemities and handling. Huge, comfy back seat. Bad lumbar support, though. Only replaced water pump and alternator during life of car! Hate to sell it, but the floormats are all wore out!...

Good power, braking, handling for such a tall, FWD car.

Needs better lumbar support. Plastic trim parts were too thin on steering wheel radio control. Eventually all cracked.