Used 1996 Buick Regal Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Buick Regal - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Regal model:

First car and boy do I miss it
By dperry25

1996 Buick Regal Gran Sport 4dr Sedan

My father bought this car back in 2005 with around 90,000 miles or so. We had to have the transmission rebuilt by AAMCO because some little piece inside of it broke and it had trouble starting and going into reverse. the AAMCO tech said the problem is so rare he guarantees it won't happen again. And it did not! not only that, but we never had any more issues out of the car. It was turned over to me in 2011 with 122k. At 130k, I lost control of the car while making a turn and slid into a curb at 55 mph. The car's frame had twisted and the car was totaled. I shed a few tears when I heard this. What a great car. Was looking for another...but hard to find, everyone who has one loves it!

Favorite Features

everything. this car was fully loaded. it also was in great shape and looked very good for an "ugly" car :p. It was super reliable and great on gas for it's size/age. it's a bit of a pain to work on, even simple things such as spark plugs...I had to take to my mechanic because the 3800 engine has to be tilted to access the back plugs. After the spark plug change, my mileage went from 18 mpg highway to 27 mpg. even got 30 on a long drive once. it was fast, i can't tell you how many unsuspecting people in riced out civics I've left behind at stoplights. Step on the gas and it'll spin tires.

Suggested Improvements

The car is amazing as it is. the only slight annoyance with this car was the fuel gauge would float. When the tank was full, it would be still, but after a few gallons were burned, the gauge would float around turns, when braking, and when accelerating. it was still pretty accurate despite this. I guess it was kind of helpful because the gauge also stopped floating when it was on E...that told me to get gas ASAP! lol. apparently a new sending unit isn't the fix, as this is normal for this car. it even said it in my manual. I LOVED this car. no improvements needed!

p.o.s
By jmac420

1996 Buick Regal Custom 4dr Sedan

i got a 96 regal 4 door and i paid 2400 for it and its been nothing but a nightmare first had to put struts on it in the back then a belt then both front wheel berings and now my tranny

Favorite Features

my custom system in trunk

Suggested Improvements

more power less breaking down

Loved My Regal, Great Car!
By Tizzy

1996 Buick Regal Custom 4dr Sedan

Owned this car for 5 years and it has been very good to me. I was a college student when I first purchased it, so I did a lot of commuting home and back to school. 168,000 mi and still going strong! Smooth ride, good gas mileage, very few issues, never left me stranded!I was never the best about routine maintenance, that being said, I've still never had any major issues and my car has always started up every single day. Would recommend to anyone looking for reliability and durability. Excellent 1st, 2nd or 3rd car.

Favorite Features

Dummy lights, Ice cold A/C, Automatic door lock/unlock upon gear shift, Turn signal reminder/bell

Suggested Improvements

Improve coolant system

buick
By kenny

1996 Buick Regal Custom 4dr Sedan

I've this car just 2 weeks and cant believe the gas mileage went 480 miles on a full tank of gas wow my care is awesome so far great in town driving too.

Favorite Features

cruise and radio control

Interior light & door locks
By Lou C

1996 Buick Regal Gran Sport 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 61,000 on it.Now 116,000. Drives great, good mileage, Body good. Skylight does not work and the door locks clicks off and on. The interior lights will not go off. Mechanic tells me parts to repair are no longer available. If any one knows how to get parts would be most helpful.

Favorite Features

Easy to drive . Power steering great. Seats are comfortable. had to replace stereo, radiator, alternator .

Suggested Improvements

Moving power steering fill to the front where it can be reached.