Used 1992 Buick Regal Gran Sport Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Buick Regal - Consumer Reviews

1992 Buick Regal Sedan

View reviews for a specific Regal model:

Older, but don't want to give up motor
By kaylynn10

1992 Buick Regal Sedan Gran Sport 4dr Sedan

Purchaed in 2/1992 and have had to only replace water pump and turning signal box. I live in Texas so the heat has wrecked paint job, leather seats in front. Last 3 months though radiator sprung leak, power steering and some basic electrical (1 power window, sunroof off and on again. It doesn't look great, but afraid to get rid of it. I've left many cars in the dust with speed of take-off (fast motor). Fuel injected if that makes a difference. Wish I knew if engine could be stabbed into another car. I would do that in a heartbeat. Oh year, when A/C worked it froze you out, even in 100+degrees. Love this car(and when I bought it I thought it was a granny car) No way.

Favorite Features

Handling, engine speed, durability, few repairs (hope to get A/C fixed by next summer. Dependability and the windshield wipers directionals are cool.

Suggested Improvements

Better paint job, no floating gas gauge,better placement of windshield fluid tank.Used to automatically lock all doors when I got in and closed the door...that was a pain, but no more, guess that's broken too.

My first love.
By MERKURxr4i

1992 Buick Regal Sedan Gran Sport 4dr Sedan

How many 20 year old males do you know, that are dying to own a Buick Regal Gran Sport? This was me, every day, asking my neighbor lady to sell me her car. One day she came home with a new car, & told me where I could find her 92 Regal. For 5K I drove home in my very first car. I've had that Buick for almost 4 years now, and the only complaint I have is the brakes. All 4 calipers, rotors, lines, & the booster have been replaced. The brake pads wear out every year just like clockwork. No matter what, the brakes always feel weak. Other than brakes & routine mantainence, I've had no major problems with the car. 126K & still running like a top.

Favorite Features

*Don't laugh, but it's the windshield wipers that go opposite directions. They remind me of old cars from the 50's. Too bad GM doesn't do this on the new Regal. I love driving this car in the rain! *I'm convinced that the 3800 V6 is one of the best engines GM has ever made!

Suggested Improvements

*Brake system needs serious help. *Larger gauges *"pump-set" parking brake is stupid *oil filter is a pain to change

not bad for a granny car
By David Jones

1992 Buick Regal Sedan Gran Sport 4dr Sedan

ive been driving this car since 5/03 has 137k mi. but still feels tight and generally drives like new. brakes just got done and stop well though take some warm up time 3.8 has good torque off the line. steering is tight esp. for a buick and the suspension though somewhat harsh in town has plenty of travel and smooths out on hgwy. a good solid car with a great engine and wont make you feel like youve come right out of the retirement community (i'm 20)

Favorite Features

3.8L torque, 16" rims, interior materials wear well

Suggested Improvements

cheesy fake wood inside, cheap leather, paint discoloration, tranny upshifts too soon, too hesitant to downshift

After the ninth year
By mace

1992 Buick Regal Sedan Gran Sport 4dr Sedan

The first ten years I had no problems except for the poor paint job. At the middle of year ten, I had to buy 3 alternators, and now the transmission is gone out. the electric antennae has been replaced 3 times and still does not work. My 2 wireless entry work but cannot fit a keychain. Dealer service poor in FL and NC. Spent $1500 and car returned in worst shape.

Favorite Features

power, appearance, longevity

Suggested Improvements

Brakes, rotors transmission, warranty and wireless entry connectors strenthened or more reasonable to replace holders so it can be fit to keychain

1992 buick regal gs
By fkcz

1992 Buick Regal Sedan Gran Sport 4dr Sedan

Bought new 1992,overall good car,comfortable on long trips.I have had several maint.issues, but it has never stranded me.I have replaced alternator twice, front brake pads 4 times,front rotors once, water pump once.All the rest was normal main.,tires,battery

Favorite Features

killer a/c even at 100 plus outside temp.

Suggested Improvements

autotrans reluctant to shift down out of o.d.with slight throttle must press hard,then shifts abruptly but only at lower speeds 45-50/60 at higher speeds it's OK