Road Car 3800cc V-6
By somerton on
1991 Buick Regal Limited 4dr Sedan
This is a "man's car" in that it is very powerful and appeals to those who like to work on their own. I purchased it in 2003 with 112,000 miles and have gone to 175,000 with numerous long distance trips to Cleveland, Jamestown (W. NY), Boston, and Beaufort, SC. Repairs: fuel pump, motor mounts, struts, rear calipers, ign coils, brake hoses, two window motors, wheel bearing, altenator, turn signal/stop light control unit, and several motor mounts. The cost of inspections, maintenance, and repairs has come to $.16/mile over 10 years. The vehicle only cost $1,200 and was not well cared for before I purchased it.
Favorite Features
Great road feel and seating position/visibility. Seats six with bench seat. Full instruments including tach, oil pressure, and voltmeter. A special green light that read "check guages" warned that the altenator had gone bad. A lot of motor (3800cc) in a mid-size. Exceptional mid-range torque/power. Great power in all ranges. Strong-built well! I drove it away after two front end collisions. I rebuilt it after both hits and it probably saved me from serious injury or death in one of them.
Suggested Improvements
Rear caliper design faulty. Front calipers do most of the work requiring new pads & rotors frequently - a simple job for a backyard mechanic. Some things failed more than once: motor/transaxle mounts, turn signal/ stop light control unit; vehicle seems to have some electrical quirks.