Used 2006 Buick Rainier CXL SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Buick Rainier SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rainier model:

Love my Buick!
By missmegs702

2006 Buick Rainier SUV CXL 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

After owning many other cars, incl. a Mercedes C230, my Buick Rainier is by far my favorite car, maybe ever. I'm in my early 30's, and a few years ago I probably would have scoffed at driving a Buick. In 2011 we were looking for a work SUV for my hubby (trailblazer, etc) and came across it at a dealership and got it for a steal. The next year he bought a truck, and I happily took over the Rainier. It is so comfortable, air ride is fantastic and it drives great. We got an extended warranty and had to have some of the suspension fixed (airbags and sensors) right after we bought it, but really no issues since. Have taken it on several long trips and it's just so comfortable! Really a great SUV.

Great gas mileage for an SUV, Leather Seats, Bose sound, air suspension, roomy rear cargo... I could go on and on. Reliability, this car gives me no issues and after spending a fortune maintaining a Mercedes, this really is one of my favorite things about my Buick.

Maybe a little more get up and go or improved handling, but really can't complain.

Problems
By Ken

2006 Buick Rainier SUV CXL 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

My grandmother bought this car used for me. She purchased the v8. Of course mpg is terrible. Great power and acceleration. Not enough storage room inside car though. Have had many problems and it has been in the shop for about 2 weeks with some sort of engine problem. ugh!

power, seats

gas mileage. no room

Great Vehicle--No more van!
By BKnight

2006 Buick Rainier SUV CXL 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Rainier. I have the PGA Tour edition. The only drawback is the odd cup holder and storage situation, but otherwise I am very pleased. MPG average is 17-18 (I drive on country roads to work each day.) It gets 22- 24 on the highway. I had a loaded Honda Odyssey. I'm so glad to be out of the van!

XM radio, sunroof, luxury ride

Storage/cup holder in front area

Falls Short
By Barb

2006 Buick Rainier SUV CXL 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Our Buick Ranier has plenty of interior room, and has so far been very reliable. However, the interior build quality leaves alot to be desired! Everything from the door handles, and door power panel mouldings, to side door mouldings has fallen off and the seatbelts stick. The rear end makes an "undetermined" noise and it does not handle great if you have to do any sudden "avoidance manuevers" while driving. I drive mostly highway and have never seen anywhere near the supposed 21mpg mark. I average 17.2mpg in a 2WD. It should not be in the luxury class, as it is just another mediocre GM SUV. Admittedly disappointed. Can't wait til my lease is up! Terrible resale value. GM will never listen to what buyers really want...Thats why Toyota & Honda have really taken off. They listen to concerns and work with them to build vehicles people want.

Quiet ride and XM satellite radio are great.

Why suggest any improvements if no one is listening?

Mostly satisfied
By Chelle

2006 Buick Rainier SUV CXL 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I just purchased this vehicle, but was not looking for it. Wanted an Envoy, and could not get one, so this was suggested. Overall, I am happy with the vehicle. I have always owned a minivan, so this is different. However, the sad part about this vehicle is the gas mileage, it stinks! I was not prepared for the little gas mileage that it gets, but I am keeping it and just have to get used to it. Hopefully it will not let me down.

The interior and exterior look. The memory seat.

Better gas mileage!