2006 Buick Rainier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rainier model:
Love my Buick!
By missmegs702 on 08/15/13 10:24 AM (PDT)

2006 Buick Rainier CXL 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

After owning many other cars, incl. a Mercedes C230, my Buick Rainier is by far my favorite car, maybe ever. I'm in my early 30's, and a few years ago I probably would have scoffed at driving a Buick. In 2011 we were looking for a work SUV for my hubby (trailblazer, etc) and came across it at a dealership and got it for a steal. The next year he bought a truck, and I happily took over the Rainier. It is so comfortable, air ride is fantastic and it drives great. We got an extended warranty and had to have some of the suspension fixed (airbags and sensors) right after we bought it, but really no issues since. Have taken it on several long trips and it's just so comfortable! Really a great SUV.

Problems
By Ken on 07/21/10 10:30 AM (PDT)

2006 Buick Rainier CXL 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

My grandmother bought this car used for me. She purchased the v8. Of course mpg is terrible. Great power and acceleration. Not enough storage room inside car though. Have had many problems and it has been in the shop for about 2 weeks with some sort of engine problem. ugh!

Truly useful
By Bill on 10/30/09 12:05 PM (PDT)

2006 Buick Rainier CXL 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this former short-term rental vehicle with 13k miles on it in Dec '06. Now with 65k miles on it, the only thing that has malfunctioned was a headlight relay, quickly replaced under warranty. It's dead reliable, smooth, comfortable, great in snow and good at towing a 4k lbs, 26ft sailboat. Milage average is 19 mpg with mostly highway driving. Quality of materials and assembly is very high - the leather upholstery is actually better than that in my '04 Mercedes.

sharp ride
By keith on 08/19/09 13:19 PM (PDT)

2006 Buick Rainier CXL 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Bought suv to replace 2002 saturn. Drove the rainer beause it had options like the SL 300 saturn.The mileage at 41000 was 19.7 now meaning 10 months later mileage 16.7.All is far better in safety and road control with this vehicle.Sharp and great ride.

Impressive
By Rainer on 06/26/09 09:47 AM (PDT)

2006 Buick Rainier CXL 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Great driving, it does not feel like I'm riding in a truck! - The look of the vehicle is what I love the most.

AWD Issues
By Michelle on 12/26/08 09:05 AM (PST)

2006 Buick Rainier CXL 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

From week one, the Rainier has attempted to shift into AWD when in reverse. The shuddering that results makes it very difficult to back out of a parking space. Changing the rear differential fluid ($125) didn't help. Now the bearings in the front differential just burned up. Thankfully, the Buick dealer covered it even though I am 4,000 miles out of warranty. I am considering dumping this vehicle as I drive 30,000 miles per year and can't afford to be towed to the dealer on a regular basis.

Best Car I ever drove
By Frank on 11/15/08 12:01 PM (PST)

2006 Buick Rainier CXL 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

After driving a Ford Explorer for almost 200,000 miles, my Buick Rainer has been a pleasure to drive. The ride and features are great--especially air adjustable load levelers. Great car.

Great mid-sized SUV
By Richard on 10/01/08 09:02 AM (PDT)

2006 Buick Rainier CXL 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Really like this vehicle. It's super quiet and smooth riding. Has a classy look to the exterior and the interior is quite comfortable. Absolutely no problems in a little over 33,000 miles. Gas mileage over the long run is 18.2 mpg in 95% city driving - very few freeway miles. Not bad for the size and comfort of this vehicle. Back seat passengers don't have much legroom, but it's not designed to be a full-size SUV. Cupholders are a little quirky, but only a minor concern.

Few Suspension and Transmission Concerns
By Cindy on 07/22/08 15:05 PM (PDT)

2006 Buick Rainier CXL 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I purchase my used Rainier in December of 2007. For the most part I am very satisfied. I have had ongoing stabiltrack issues, and the driver's window keeps coming out of the track. My most recent problem was that the shift sensor, wiring harness and valve body went out at 40,600 miles. I am thankful for the 50,000 mile warranty. I was told that there is nothing that can be done about the window. "Don't roll it down while going down the road". GM and the dealership refused to do a transmission service after my transmission got hot. They had it pulled apart and had the filter in their hand. I love the vehicle, but can't say that I will buy GM because of the service.

Glad I Found This One
By JB on 05/05/07 22:10 PM (PDT)

2006 Buick Rainier CXL 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I love this vehicle. I've owned several autos in the past, including two Toyotas and a Chevy Trailblazer ('04). I usually go pretty basic on them, then look at the owner's manual later and realize all the goodies I didn't have on mine. All that has changed with buying the Rainier. If this truck were a movie, it would truly be a "sleeper." I don't know why more people haven't discovered all the virtues of this vehicle.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.