Used 2005 Buick Rainier SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Buick Rainier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rainier model:

Most Helpful|
I'm buying another
By skeet

2005 Buick Rainier SUV CXL Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have never owned a vehicle I have liked more. Traded a BMW and would never go back. Feel reviewers have given this vehicle a bad rap. I like everything about this vehicle and can't wait to get my new one. Also own a DTS Caddy and really would just as soon drive the Buick. Runs like a scalded dog. A/C is fantastic. Ride is wonderful. Edmunds say Toureg or 4Runner? I say pooey. 6'1 250 lbs this is one roomy vehicle. Wonderfully reliable. What more can I say? Have owned Suburban and like this much better. Turns on a dime. Easy to park.

Favorite Features

Ride, performance, and quietness.

Suggested Improvements

A/C. Seats.

Better than Lexus
By Adrian Clark

2005 Buick Rainier SUV CXL Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

A great vehicle. After experiencing the Lexus RS300, this vehicle is far superior in all aspects. The Rainier is more roomy, more solid, more fun to ride and has a much more comfortable ride than the Lexus. The Rainier is quieter and the quality is superior.

Favorite Features

Lots of bells and whistles, comfort, quietness, roomy. The vehicle is nice to drive and gives good visabilty. And it is American.

Suggested Improvements

Gas consumption is always an area that could be improved.

Awesome Ride
By Dustin

2005 Buick Rainier SUV CXL AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This car is really amazing. You can't expect more for your dollar from an American made SUV. From the powerful responsive engine, to the smooth, silent ride, to the Bose speaker system, I absolutely love this car. I have always loved the ride quality of Buicks, but the Rainier is by far the best it gets (except for the new Enclave which has replaced the Rainier).

Favorite Features

Everything about the car! Heated seats are amazing, awesome ride quality, fantastic 275 hp I6 engine (I6 vortec 4200 top ten reliable engines), Bose premium sound, sun roof, and appealing luxury appearance.

Suggested Improvements

The only bad thing about this car that I wish could be changed is the poor fuel economy. I average between 16-17 MPG, which is ok when gas is just $1.75, but if it goes back up to $4, fuel economy in the teens isn't so exciting. However, the reliability of the vehicle makes up for the cost of fuel

Best automobile I have ever owned
By uscgc

2005 Buick Rainier SUV CXL Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Most trouble free auto I have ever owned. It is quiet and handles well in curves.

Favorite Features

Love the heated seats and the Bose six cd player

Suggested Improvements

Has a tendency to road walk a little.

Money Pit
By pensketech1

2005 Buick Rainier SUV CXL AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I am the second owner of my Rainier. At 65000 miles, I had to replace my engine due to a cracked head (coolant got in the oil and wiped out my bearings). I am experiencing turning problems at low speeds and now my security light comes on and vehicle will not start. My GM rep. told me I was out of luck when the engine blew, and the repair costed me over $4000 to do myself. GM needs to actually stand behind their vehicles. I have owned GM vehicles all of my life and am no where near satisfied with this one.

Favorite Features

5.3l engine, Leather seats and air suspension

Suggested Improvements

Scrap the Buick line and bring back my Pontiacs