Used 2005 Buick Rainier SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Buick Rainier SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rainier model:

Not perfect but very good
By LWhitmer

2005 Buick Rainier SUV CXL AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I've now had the car for 2 months and still find it very nice to drive - very quiet and smooth. It does have some problems though. The transmission does not downshift smoothly, ever. The AWD system is rather poor in snow - too much torque goes to the rear wheels making hills a real challenge that my previous Blazer ate up like butter. I find the braking and handling are quite good for an SUV even in emergency manuevers. All in all, a very good highway cruiser.

Quiet Tuning really works. The tire roar on rough pavement is nill. The air suspension eats up large bumps and rough roads well. The 6 cyl engine has plenty of power at all speeds. The heated seats and lumbar adjust help with my bad back.

Fix the AWD system! Fix the auto transmission shifting problems! Put in the double extendable visor system used on other GM vehicles. Re-think the whole center console. The arm rest is too short and the 2 cupholders are not enough. Add more storage compartments like an overhead console/storage.

Best SUV We Test Drove & Bought
By Mark Ayers

2005 Buick Rainier SUV CXL Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This is an elegant SUV that handles like a dream, with all the creature comforts you would want in a luxury SUV. It drives well, has great acceleration, and feels like it is floating. Some have criticized the rear suspension, but we have not found that to be an issue. We test drove other SUV's, even imported models, and for the money and accessories, it won.

Heated seats, automatic right mirror downturn for backing up, satellite radio, OnStar, memory seat settings, driver information center, spacious back seat with separate climate controls and headphone jack (2), turn headlight illumination, air compressor built into rear storage wall.

Standard side impact bags would be nice; more cup holders for front seat; sunvisor extensions!

Ambivilent
By Disappointed in PA

2005 Buick Rainier SUV CXL AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Replaced my Lexus RX300 with an American car. Love the drive, size of cargo space but disappointed with the navigation system. Had 3 other cars with navigation previous to this. This car I have to replace my CD with the Nav disk. What a pain. The sticker said it had a 6 CD changer but when I checked it out the navigation system had replaced the 6 CD changer. How dispointing. Then the Nav system requires you change areas (NJ and PA are not in the same districts). Shame on you GM. DON'T BUY THE NAVIGATION SYSTEM. It is not worth it. Get an external one if you must have it. Can't believe we got ripped off but love the car and only drive it around town luckily.

The ride and the room, memory seats I have the 8 cyliner. Plenty of power

Navigation system like the Cadillac No changing screens, really hard to use.

Comfy ride
By Kim

2005 Buick Rainier SUV CXL AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I haven't had it long. I had a 96 Blazer before moving up to this SUV. It is very comfortable and handles well. It has a lot of luxury features the my other SUV did not have. It is quiet. You don't hear a lot of extra road noise. It is a very smooth riding vehicle. I love it!

My favorite feature is the sunroof! OnStar is a plus as is XM satellite radio.

The cargo area could use a little more room. The rear seats that fold forward are a little awkward as well. Rear headrests obstruct view from rear view mirror.

Buick Rainier
By J Byrd

2005 Buick Rainier SUV CXL AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

The Buick Rainier that my wife and I purchased was a being driven by the owner of the dealerships wife. The car is all that we had expected at this time in our ownership of it. The ride is exceptional and has all the room that we need since our kids are away at college. The power and handling seem to be fine also. We have not had the opportunity to take the car on an extended road trip to get an accurate estimate of highway millage but local driving seems to yield around 17 mpg. In short at this point my wife loves the car so I'm happy with it also