Used 2005 Buick Rainier Consumer Reviews - 63 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Buick Rainier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rainier model:

Our Ranier
By jim & Lou

2005 Buick Rainier CXL AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Just completed a 6,000 mile trip with this vehicle. My husband and I both remarked how easy the SUV was to drive. As though it just glided along the hiway. With the air supension in it no matter how we packed the stuff in it, it always evened itself out and was the most comfortable ride we have ever had. We traveled thru mountains, deserts, plains, large cities, small cities, 4 lanes, 2 lanes, and every type of road imaginable and the vehicle just seemed to adjust to the road and conditions by itself. My husband is 6 foot tall and this is the first vehicle that we have purchased that his head does not touch the top of the car and he has plenty of room for his legs also. We are happy with the Rainier.

The ease of getting in and out of the car. The self explanatory dash. The radio. The navigation system. The DVD movie center. The leather seats.

Better gas milage would be nice and keyless entry.

Had to buy 2 of them
By Ed Kildoyle

2005 Buick Rainier CXL AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought one for myself and my wife liked it so much she wanted one of her own so we now own two of them. We both love our Rainiers as they give us the luxury comforts and the features of a mid sized SUV. They are very quiet with a comfortable ride especially on long trips. I have the V8 so the pickup is very good and unless you take turns at 80 miles an hour the handling and performance is more than satisfactory. I wish it had the rainsense wipers I had on my Cadillac as well as the backup warning system. Other than that we love our Buick Rainiers.

Quiet smooth ride, XM satellite radio, navigation system, OnStar system. and air compressor system for external use.

Add Rainsense wipers and backup warning system.

Not perfect but very good
By LWhitmer

2005 Buick Rainier CXL AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I've now had the car for 2 months and still find it very nice to drive - very quiet and smooth. It does have some problems though. The transmission does not downshift smoothly, ever. The AWD system is rather poor in snow - too much torque goes to the rear wheels making hills a real challenge that my previous Blazer ate up like butter. I find the braking and handling are quite good for an SUV even in emergency manuevers. All in all, a very good highway cruiser.

Quiet Tuning really works. The tire roar on rough pavement is nill. The air suspension eats up large bumps and rough roads well. The 6 cyl engine has plenty of power at all speeds. The heated seats and lumbar adjust help with my bad back.

Fix the AWD system! Fix the auto transmission shifting problems! Put in the double extendable visor system used on other GM vehicles. Re-think the whole center console. The arm rest is too short and the 2 cupholders are not enough. Add more storage compartments like an overhead console/storage.

Best SUV We Test Drove & Bought
By Mark Ayers

2005 Buick Rainier CXL Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This is an elegant SUV that handles like a dream, with all the creature comforts you would want in a luxury SUV. It drives well, has great acceleration, and feels like it is floating. Some have criticized the rear suspension, but we have not found that to be an issue. We test drove other SUV's, even imported models, and for the money and accessories, it won.

Heated seats, automatic right mirror downturn for backing up, satellite radio, OnStar, memory seat settings, driver information center, spacious back seat with separate climate controls and headphone jack (2), turn headlight illumination, air compressor built into rear storage wall.

Standard side impact bags would be nice; more cup holders for front seat; sunvisor extensions!

Ambivilent
By Disappointed in PA

2005 Buick Rainier CXL AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Replaced my Lexus RX300 with an American car. Love the drive, size of cargo space but disappointed with the navigation system. Had 3 other cars with navigation previous to this. This car I have to replace my CD with the Nav disk. What a pain. The sticker said it had a 6 CD changer but when I checked it out the navigation system had replaced the 6 CD changer. How dispointing. Then the Nav system requires you change areas (NJ and PA are not in the same districts). Shame on you GM. DON'T BUY THE NAVIGATION SYSTEM. It is not worth it. Get an external one if you must have it. Can't believe we got ripped off but love the car and only drive it around town luckily.

The ride and the room, memory seats I have the 8 cyliner. Plenty of power

Navigation system like the Cadillac No changing screens, really hard to use.