Used 2005 Buick Rainier SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Buick Rainier SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rainier model:

Wow
By Melody Myers

2005 Buick Rainier SUV CXL Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have enjoyed the ownership and smoothness of the ride, great amenities, and ease of handling.

OnStar, A/C system, seats, and automatic locks.

Excellent SUV
By Theo

2005 Buick Rainier SUV CXL AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Driving this SUV is fun. Handling is supurb. The quiet inside is next to none, that is outside noise is near "0" except for very loud noises. The layout inside makes everything easy to get to. Sight line to instruments is very good. Comfort in all seats is very good and there is enough leg room in the rear for a six foot plus person. Cargo space is good. The wheel well splash guards should be put on as a standard feature and not an option. This vehicle has been built with the persnickety driver in mind. Thanks for doing such a good job on this SUV. I often forget that I am driving an SUV because it feels so much like a car. Great job!

My favorite feature is the seating area. The seats are very comfortable with the 8 way power seats and the heated seats adds extra comfort on long trips, heat eases stress on the lower back. Laminated windows make the quiet so enjoyable with less road noise. Very quiet, very quiet.

Looks outside. Dual exhaust should be added to add some flair to the styling. More than the two types of wheels should be offered. A wider wheel and tire should be added as an option just to give it a better look.

2005 Rainier
By Pat

2005 Buick Rainier SUV CXL AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have had no problems with the car so far. It's very reliable. The ride is very comfortable. It feels like you are driving a car, but you're just sitting higher up.

The engine. It is so powerful. The handling, it's very precise.

I can't really think of any improvements needed. Overall, it's a great vehicle!

Works for me -tailgates, trips, runabout
By howdydooit

2005 Buick Rainier SUV CXL AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

12 months old - replaced an aging minivan & sedan. That said, we needed a vehicle for tailgating and trips. It holds all our gear (flag pole, folding table, chairs, grill, cooler, etc & 2 or 3 people, depending on how judiciously we pack - we can get away with only folding down one back seat). The sound system is awesome, the climate controls are individualized (plus rear controls for climate/audio), and it's extemely quiet and smooth. Fuel economy is 22 - 23 hwy, 15-18 around town.

Bose sound system & XM is great! Old Time Radio Channel (Dragnet!) can suffer in audio quality with 60 yr old radio shows, so the quiet cabin really is a benefit (even closed sunroof has no wind noise). Turning radius is better than my car. This thing is nimble in tight spaces. Tilt down side mirror

If I had to change anything, it would be the forward cup holder (blocks rear wiper control & is in turn blocked by the console mounted shifter when in park). I would also jazz up the instrument cluster a bit (is a little plain) & add some utility storage. Otherwise hope GM keeps working on econ.

Best SUV Ever
By Mac

2005 Buick Rainier SUV CXL Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We have owned our 2005 Ranier CXL AWD for about 14 months. It is by bar the best overall SUV we have ever owned. The ride quality is outstanding, the handling sharp, the performance excellent, and the carrying capacity fantastic. Overall we get about 20 mpg on the highway (70 - 75 mph) and about 15 in town. My wife likes it so much that I seldom get to drive it except on trips. It is one of the quietest vehicles I have ever driven. The size, ergonomics, features, and performance are just about perfect for the two of us. Our friends enjoy very much when we take the Ranier, going out to dinner.

Power pedals -- my wife loves them. XM radio, heated / memory seats, and the moonroof.

Add the power tilt/telescope steering wheel from the Cadillac STS.