Used 2004 Buick Rainier SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Buick Rainier SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rainier model:

Long Rides Enjoyable
By James Jenkins

2004 Buick Rainier SUV CXL AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I travel a lot. I have found the Rainier a pleasure to drive for hours at a time. My partner also shares in the driving and I sleep quite comfortably in the reclining passenger seat, although I would prefer the seats to have a little more of a bucket-seat form to provide a more settled feel into the seat. Overall, this ride feels and handles more like my older Buick Park Avenue than an SUV. I luv it, just what I was looking for!

Quietness and smooth ride. Seating is comfortable. Being able to turn on the seat back heater provides relief for those of us with constant back pain.

Higher quality knobs and more luxury in style needed, improve the front seats to help keep from sliding left and right, add real wood trim and more of it.

An Excellent Choice
By C. Jones

2004 Buick Rainier SUV CXL Plus Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have been very surprised at the performance of this vehicle. No return visits to fix problems, and it just is excellent to have. Quiet, comfortable, handles good, with better than expected gas mileage. I bought it 3 months ago and went across the states from south to north and then from east to west coast. I really love it. Has the goodies on it, but they came standard, not at added expense. I had a Mercury Grand Marquis before and this vehicle lives up to the comfort and ease of driving that the Mercury has, besides having the luxury items that a Mercury spoils you with. They are hard to find, but well worth the trouble and time spent.

Comfortable seats with position controls and automatic recognition of drivers. Quiet, handles with ease, lots of power with the V-8 but you feel none of the bumps of the road. All controls are within comfortable reach and easily identified. Lots of space in back seat and storage areas.

Work on getting SUV's better gas mileage.

Surprisingly Good
By rainer owner

2004 Buick Rainier SUV CXL Plus AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This is my first GM product in many, many years. With 13,000 miles on the odometer, the vehicle has been completely reliable. The only visits to the dealer have been for oil changes. It rides very well and is extremely quiet, much better than a Pathfinder that I owned in the past. I am pleasantly suprised.

1. XM radio! 2. Personalized electronic settings, i.e. power seat positioning, lighting preferences, radio presets are all set before I enter the vehicle by pressing the remote. 3. The ride and the quiet interior .

Improved gas mileage, improved traction in the snow and some classier interior trim pieces. Some appear more appropriate for a Chevy.

A joy to me, my SUV
By dmcd

2004 Buick Rainier SUV CXL Plus AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Overall, very happy with Ranier. Recently returned from 5000 mile driving vacation, so put it to the comfort test. Our report is we enjoyed the ride and comfort, we did not get tired though some days included lots of miles. Lots of Christmas presents, golf clubs, luggage were stored well with back seat down. Window tinting makes it difficult to see cargo area contents, providing some sense of security. Very windy days produced excessive noise around the passenger front window. Styling of car got many stares from interstate travelers. Averaged over 19 mpg for entire trip, including city driving. XM radio made this a delightful trip, as well. Our first SUV, maybe a hybrid in 5 years??

XM radio (already extended this past the dealer paid intro), heated seats, great lumbar support on front seats, driver seat position as well as radio sets and mirrors are memorized for 2 drivers, V8 was very responsive and smooth, AWD was nice in snowy conditions in mountains.

Dealer service says wind noise around front passenger window is common problem. They improved it, but it is still annoying, but only when in substantial wind conditions (25+ mph). Some of the usual GM less than attractive plastic on interior aspects, but not as much as on the Envoy.

Buick Rainier
By Talltom58

2004 Buick Rainier SUV CXL Plus AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle is the most fun of any I have ever owned. My fourth Buick, this is my first SUV. The ride is comfortable, and with plenty of leg and head room for a 6'6" guy. It handles well on the road and I have tested it in urban and rural, flat and mountain terrain. In the winter snow, on hills, it never hesitated to give a feeling of full control. Sight lines are good. Fuel mileage is good for a vehicle of this type.

The XM Sattelite radio is GREAT.

The cup holders in the front are in an awkward position relative to the stick shift. One is always available, but depending on the position of the stick, the other is a little harder to get to.

• SUV