Used 2004 Buick Rainier SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Buick Rainier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rainier model:

Not your average College Student's Car!
By mannyr5653

2004 Buick Rainier SUV CXL AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Being only 19, this isn't car most college guys have. Im the only one on campus with one of these! Ever since I bought my Rainier, It has been nothing but good to me. It has proved to be a reliable, luxurious, and all around great vehicle. Only repairs I've done are oil changes and new brake pads. This truck is extremely comfortable and surprisingly easy to drive. The V8 is very powerful, and can get up and go. Highway driving is awesome, the rear air suspension really makes the ride a million times better. The AWD is awesome when driving in snow and rain, it has kept me out of a lot of trouble. It really is a hit or miss with the rainier, either you get a good one or you get a lemon.

Favorite Features

Heated seats are a good thing to have in the winter time, really help warm me up fast in the morning on my drive to work. XM satellite radio keeps my drive less boring and the Bose sound system is pretty good. Steering wheel controls are nice feature to have. Exterior wise I like the fact that it has a light on the side of the front bumper that turns on when blinkers are turned on, it helps see what's around the corner a little better, and I think it's kinda cool!

Suggested Improvements

Painted plastic over radio peels easily, it should have been the same soft touch materials that the dash is mostly made of. Also wish mpg's were better, but hey, it's an SUV! Everything else about the Rainier is good!

Don't bother with this one...
By rknack

2004 Buick Rainier SUV CXL AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

My Rainier is a piece of garbage. Parts are expensive, and labor even more so unless you are like me and do your own repairs - and even then, it is so poorly designed that it is a major undertaking to repair. As an example, the front differential blew up recently and I had to remove the steering rack, axles, AND the engine oil pan (the passenger side axle goes THROUGH the oil pan!) to remove it. Many of the bolts are difficult to get at. It would have cost me $2500 in labor alone to have a shop repair it for me, plus parts cost. I will NEVER willingly own another vehicle in this series again, and if I could afford to buy another vehicle I would. At least it's fully paid for...

Favorite Features

It gets me where I need to go (when I'm not busy fixing something that has broken on it...)

Suggested Improvements

Re-design the whole thing so it isn't so labor-intensive to repair!

Buick Rainer V-8
By shadav

2004 Buick Rainier SUV CXL Plus AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned several Buick's and this is by far the worst one I have owned. The one I traded in had 143,000 miles on it and was still running perfectly. With the Rainier, I began have trouble around 60,000 miles. The instrument panel had to be replaced, then the air conditioner blew hot air on the passenger side. Then it was the transfer case, then the air bags used in the suspension area began leaking. At this very moment, it is parked in my garage with a broken water pump. I haven't driven it in 4 months. Instead, I bought a used vehicle that I paid cash for to get around town in. It has been much more reliable than the Buick.

Favorite Features

I like the fact that the body is metal and not plastic like the Rendezvous was. AWD is great. Lots of room for tall people. Love the towing package. The handling is fantastic like all previous Buick's I have owned.

Suggested Improvements

This Buick has so many problems, I do not know where to begin. The plastic coating around the stereo started peeling off early on. It looks really ugly now. Then all the other mechanical problems that exist. That is probably why Buick no longer builds them. It definitely did not retain its value at all. At present, with repairs and purchase price, I have spent $45,000 on this vehicle. Even though my uncle is a GM dealer, I will probably never buy another Buick again. This vehicle is very unreliable. You never know when you are going to be left walking with this vehicle. With my past experience with Buick, this vehicle is lacking in quality from every direction.

More Electrical Problems
By brassones

2004 Buick Rainier SUV CXL AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

My Rainer has had soo many electrical problems. 1. No speedometer for over 2 yrs 2. No gas gauge for 1 yr 3. The ambient temp sensor was knocked loose because the water pump dislodged it causing the A/C to quit working. So its 100 degrees outside and the rad out says its -14. Cost me $600 to repair 4. And not to mention every once in a while when you hit a bump wrong at night, the headlights will just quit. And I have checked connections. Anyone else have ideas or comments.

Favorite Features

None

terror on the road
By terror on the road

2004 Buick Rainier SUV CXL Plus AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I started having problems a week ago with the check engine light coming on. I took it to the buick daler here in selma, they found no problem. I was advised to go to larry puckett in prattville. I live about 50mins. from prattville.Anyway, halfway there my truck caught on fire from behind,which I was unaware of until I heard a noise like a blown out tire. To my surprise,when I got out with my teenager daughter and a set of twins; the rear of the truck was on fire.By te time I picked up the kids and ran, the entire rainier was engulfed in flames.The fire was so intense it consumed the entire under carrage,air stablizer,the complete motor,the stepping bar,and two tires, it could have exploxed

Favorite Features

gps system and on star

Suggested Improvements

make sure any recalls are made very care as well as any other concerns the manufacture my hav