2004 Buick Rainier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rainier model:
Not your average College Student's Car!
By mannyr5653 on 12/30/13 02:16 AM (PST)

2004 Buick Rainier CXL AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Being only 19, this isn't car most college guys have. Im the only one on campus with one of these! Ever since I bought my Rainier, It has been nothing but good to me. It has proved to be a reliable, luxurious, and all around great vehicle. Only repairs I've done are oil changes and new brake pads. This truck is extremely comfortable and surprisingly easy to drive. The V8 is very powerful, and can get up and go. Highway driving is awesome, the rear air suspension really makes the ride a million times better. The AWD is awesome when driving in snow and rain, it has kept me out of a lot of trouble. It really is a hit or miss with the rainier, either you get a good one or you get a lemon.

Don't bother with this one...
By rknack on 10/18/13 11:52 AM (PDT)

2004 Buick Rainier CXL AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

My Rainier is a piece of garbage. Parts are expensive, and labor even more so unless you are like me and do your own repairs - and even then, it is so poorly designed that it is a major undertaking to repair. As an example, the front differential blew up recently and I had to remove the steering rack, axles, AND the engine oil pan (the passenger side axle goes THROUGH the oil pan!) to remove it. Many of the bolts are difficult to get at. It would have cost me $2500 in labor alone to have a shop repair it for me, plus parts cost. I will NEVER willingly own another vehicle in this series again, and if I could afford to buy another vehicle I would. At least it's fully paid for...

Buick Rainer V-8
By shadav on 12/10/11 19:25 PM (PST)

2004 Buick Rainier CXL Plus AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned several Buick's and this is by far the worst one I have owned. The one I traded in had 143,000 miles on it and was still running perfectly. With the Rainier, I began have trouble around 60,000 miles. The instrument panel had to be replaced, then the air conditioner blew hot air on the passenger side. Then it was the transfer case, then the air bags used in the suspension area began leaking. At this very moment, it is parked in my garage with a broken water pump. I haven't driven it in 4 months. Instead, I bought a used vehicle that I paid cash for to get around town in. It has been much more reliable than the Buick.

More Electrical Problems
By brassones on 07/29/11 22:50 PM (PDT)

2004 Buick Rainier CXL AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

My Rainer has had soo many electrical problems. 1. No speedometer for over 2 yrs 2. No gas gauge for 1 yr 3. The ambient temp sensor was knocked loose because the water pump dislodged it causing the A/C to quit working. So its 100 degrees outside and the rad out says its -14. Cost me $600 to repair 4. And not to mention every once in a while when you hit a bump wrong at night, the headlights will just quit. And I have checked connections. Anyone else have ideas or comments.

terror on the road
By terror on the road on 10/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Buick Rainier CXL Plus AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I started having problems a week ago with the check engine light coming on. I took it to the buick daler here in selma, they found no problem. I was advised to go to larry puckett in prattville. I live about 50mins. from prattville.Anyway, halfway there my truck caught on fire from behind,which I was unaware of until I heard a noise like a blown out tire. To my surprise,when I got out with my teenager daughter and a set of twins; the rear of the truck was on fire.By te time I picked up the kids and ran, the entire rainier was engulfed in flames.The fire was so intense it consumed the entire under carrage,air stablizer,the complete motor,the stepping bar,and two tires, it could have exploxed

Air conditioning
By tcharles on 05/28/10 21:04 PM (PDT)

2004 Buick Rainier CXL AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

The air conditioning just went on me. It actually works but it will not blow out of the top vents. It blows out of the bottom and through the defrost areas. Was told by a dealer that it'll cost me over $3000 to repair it because of where the vent is located. Has anyone else had this problem?

Best I've ever had
By Gort on 03/08/10 09:23 AM (PST)

2004 Buick Rainier CXL Plus AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned a lot of vehicles and this is by far the best. Great performance, I feel like a King driving this. All the options you could ask for. Quite smooth ride. You just cannot beat this SUV. I stumbled upon it by accident and will never buy anything other than a Buick SUV again. People need to stop complaining about the mpg. Its an SUV if you want better than 25 mpg get a geo metro. I get 15-16 in city and 18- 21 highway. So impressed I wish I could write more in this space. Perfect SUV for a family looking for performance, reliability, safety, room, comfort, options, quite smooth ride, good looks inside and out, not to mention you will be driving something that not everyone else drives.

Bitter Sweet
By Tony1234 on 02/22/10 05:52 AM (PST)

2004 Buick Rainier CXL AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This 2004 AWD Rainier has major ongoing issues. Starting at 80,000 miles its one repair after another. I love the features, style and ride. I don't tow, off road or plow. I just drive like any normal person. All scheduled normal lube maintenance has been practiced as recommended by manufacture manual yet the AWD never seems to work. I replaced the transfer case, transmission, front differential, axles, 4 decoder motors, wiring harness and 2 front wheel sensors($9,000+)and the front wheels still don't work. This whole vehicle should have been recalled in my opinion. Oh! The speedometer is brke

Okay for my first SUV. But I love Buick.
By Neeka on 07/20/09 11:36 AM (PDT)

2004 Buick Rainier CXL AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I brought my Buick Rainier last June. I needed to get an up to date buick I had a 93 lesabre, the air went last summer. Thats when I knew it was time to get a new car, or a new used one. Thats when I did my research, I wanted a car buick but when I seen the rainier I said thats what I want. Guess what I hav I got it too.The only problem I had was with the CD Player. I hav to get a new radio in there any way. My CD's got stuck in them. I am just going to get one put in there myself. Otherwise the vechicle is okay. I had a recnt problem with the AWD, but the dealership where I went to go buy it from fixed, it was still under warranty. That was a plus.

Rainier - Top Marks
By ellenob on 06/20/09 08:18 AM (PDT)

2004 Buick Rainier CXL AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This car's performance has been strong and repair history has been light, equal to my previous Hondas. I'm very satisfied and will keep it.