1998 Buick Park Avenue Sedan 3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

1998 Buick Park-avenue - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Park Avenue model:

1998 Park Avenue Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Greatest car I've ever driven!
By hardfire454

1998 Buick Park Avenue Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have driven a series of cars, but none can compare to the Park Avenue. THis car is comfortable, efficient, and most importantly comfortable. I think that's enough to be said, it is reliable, but just like any car, it has one or two flaws... But overall, if you're looking for a luxury car, this is it.

Favorite Features

Standard leather seats, large trunk, and very spacious interior with lots of headroom, even for me, and I'm 6 ft.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing to improve, best car as it is now.

Great Car Overall
By JAB1998

1998 Buick Park Avenue Sedan 4dr Sedan

Flaws are similar to other reviews. Ash tray was replaced once @ $125, but next time it was super-glued closed! This car gets over 30 mpg on road trips & about 24-26 around town. It is comfortable to drive, large trunk & back seat allow for passengers on trips. Drivers seat (leather) is coming loose at seam between front & back, but overall the interior is holding up well. With close to 180,000 miles on this 12 yr old car, I can't complain about some wear & tear. This car is loaded with features. I love radio & cruise controls on steering wheel, 2 memory power seats, & my favorite is the temperature and compass on the rear view mirror! I am sad that they are not making this model anymore...

Favorite Features

All the power features and the temperature and compass showing in the rear view mirror.

Suggested Improvements

The cheap clip that is supposed to hold the ash tray shut breaks easily, then the ash tray keeps popping open. They should have fixed that and other interior flaws mentioned by others. I've been lucky to only have the seat and ash tray problem.

Love this car
By 1998 Buick Park Ave.

1998 Buick Park Avenue Sedan 4dr Sedan

Gets 34 mpg on the road if you drive sensible. 22-25 mpg in town. Reliable, smooth handling, roomy, dependable, large trunk, great on trips, handles 5 tall or large people comfortably, plenty of leg room in the back

Favorite Features

Heated seats, ride, leg room, gas mileage for a big safe car

Suggested Improvements

Plastic arount the front seats come loose and cannot get to stay if it comes apart.

Decent not perfect
By Scott

1998 Buick Park Avenue Sedan 4dr Sedan

Overall we've enjoyed this car. 7 years now and still going. Had to replace 2 of the 3 spark modules (these replaced distributors in the mid 90's) A timing belt-no engine damage though. Plastic cooling system part got leak. No major engine work. Annoyances- rust at the bottom of the doors, gas gauge kept falling past stop peg and finally broke. Ashtray got sticky and broke in open position. Power door locks on drivers side broke. Engine developed a moderate oil leak aroung 100K. Lots of power for a big car with a V-6. 4 adults are confortable. I am a very large man so it is tight to sit 3 in the front, but can be done. Flow through door from trunk has been handy though I don't ski.

Performance and comfort
By J. Previti

1998 Buick Park Avenue Sedan 4dr Sedan

We have driven this car to Mathais WVA several times and to Myrtle beach three times and were delighted with performance and fuel economy. We got 28 mpg to and 29 from Myrtle Beach. That was driving at or slightly above the posted speed limits and short trips while there.

Very reliable Buick
By mkclancy

1998 Buick Park Avenue Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car is the best I have ever owned in my 40 years of driving. My husband, now deceased said it was my car because I liked it so much. It is beautiful and I get many compliments about it. I have kept it it good condition and have followed the Buick program for annual maintence procedures. Such as 60,000 mile check-up procedures. I most like the bench front seat which most vehicles do not have. We found it gives very good milage for this size and make auto, 25-28 miles per gal.with conservative driving practices on highway driving.

Favorite Features

Leather upholstery, power driver seatw/memory, electro: rear view mirror, rain sensing windshield wipers. audio system. Very relialbe performance.

Suggested Improvements

Better rust protection in doors.

1998 Park Avenue
By Bobby Hood

1998 Buick Park Avenue Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car has given excellent service over the last four years. It has only had two major failures both of which had to do with the plenium (intake manifold) rupturing and dumping water on the pistons. Neither instance seemed to have harmed performance in any way. The only other problem--last week the power steering unit fell off. I do not remember any specific thing I may have hit in the road that could have broken the bolts, but the car has had a couple of jolts from things which I ran over at high speed. One of which was the recap off a truck tire at night. It did warp a rim. It's cranked right away (179,000 miles) and it has been a great road car.

Favorite Features

Rides comfortably and has enough zip to get around things on the road.

Suggested Improvements

Intake manifold (plennum) needs to be redesigned. Seat upholstery could be better from a design standpoint.

Good but some flaws.
By not_another_buick

1998 Buick Park Avenue Sedan 4dr Sedan

Overall a very good car, but several things are frustrating. The ash tray will break and not stay closed due to a poor design. A new one costs $125. You can fix it yourself for free if you take it out and see the problem area. Definate flaw! Also the covers on the back of the front seats weren't attached very well. These will also break. They can be fixed for free again with a drill and a screw, but how many people will do that who drive a Buick. Shouldn't have too either.

Favorite Features

Tie for favorite 1)Rain sensing wipers and 2)Grand Touring suspension

Suggested Improvements

Fix the ashtrays for free. Especially since these were made for so many years. Admit a flaw and fix it!!! That may impress people in the long run.

I'm not old & gray but liked the Park Av
By MLMB

1998 Buick Park Avenue Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've driven my Pk Ave for 6 yrs, and enjoyed the comfort ride, many perks, fuel economy and size. Wrecked it and got good front end protection (I totaled the full sized pickup truck I hit!). Large trunk is great. Didn't like the suspension - the bottom drops hard in some cases. Also huge expense at 120,000 miles for repairing the plastic intake manifold $1300!! Common problem according to the mechanic, and they no longer use plastic, he says. Only selling it to get a car large enough to handle our dog kennel!

perfect cruiser
By Garrett M. Benson

1998 Buick Park Avenue Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is the perfect car for any occasion. It is comfortable and gets incredible fuel miledge for the size of this interstate cruiser. I am only 24 years old, and I know that this is typically an older man's car, but I, and my friends my age, are very impressed. I clocked in on our last vacation a 500 miles tank of fuel and averaged 34.4 Miles Per Gallon!! That is truley amazing! Garrett

Suggested Improvements

None, perfect!