Used 1998 Buick Park Avenue Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Park Avenue model:

Decent not perfect
By Scott

1998 Buick Park Avenue Sedan 4dr Sedan

Overall we've enjoyed this car. 7 years now and still going. Had to replace 2 of the 3 spark modules (these replaced distributors in the mid 90's) A timing belt-no engine damage though. Plastic cooling system part got leak. No major engine work. Annoyances- rust at the bottom of the doors, gas gauge kept falling past stop peg and finally broke. Ashtray got sticky and broke in open position. Power door locks on drivers side broke. Engine developed a moderate oil leak aroung 100K. Lots of power for a big car with a V-6. 4 adults are confortable. I am a very large man so it is tight to sit 3 in the front, but can be done. Flow through door from trunk has been handy though I don't ski.

Love this car
By 1998 Buick Park Ave.

1998 Buick Park Avenue Sedan 4dr Sedan

Gets 34 mpg on the road if you drive sensible. 22-25 mpg in town. Reliable, smooth handling, roomy, dependable, large trunk, great on trips, handles 5 tall or large people comfortably, plenty of leg room in the back

Favorite Features

Heated seats, ride, leg room, gas mileage for a big safe car

Suggested Improvements

Plastic arount the front seats come loose and cannot get to stay if it comes apart.

Greatest car I've ever driven!
By hardfire454

1998 Buick Park Avenue Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have driven a series of cars, but none can compare to the Park Avenue. THis car is comfortable, efficient, and most importantly comfortable. I think that's enough to be said, it is reliable, but just like any car, it has one or two flaws... But overall, if you're looking for a luxury car, this is it.

Favorite Features

Standard leather seats, large trunk, and very spacious interior with lots of headroom, even for me, and I'm 6 ft.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing to improve, best car as it is now.

Great Car Overall
By JAB1998

1998 Buick Park Avenue Sedan 4dr Sedan

Flaws are similar to other reviews. Ash tray was replaced once @ $125, but next time it was super-glued closed! This car gets over 30 mpg on road trips & about 24-26 around town. It is comfortable to drive, large trunk & back seat allow for passengers on trips. Drivers seat (leather) is coming loose at seam between front & back, but overall the interior is holding up well. With close to 180,000 miles on this 12 yr old car, I can't complain about some wear & tear. This car is loaded with features. I love radio & cruise controls on steering wheel, 2 memory power seats, & my favorite is the temperature and compass on the rear view mirror! I am sad that they are not making this model anymore...

Favorite Features

All the power features and the temperature and compass showing in the rear view mirror.

Suggested Improvements

The cheap clip that is supposed to hold the ash tray shut breaks easily, then the ash tray keeps popping open. They should have fixed that and other interior flaws mentioned by others. I've been lucky to only have the seat and ash tray problem.

Stay away form the ultra
By Tim Rudasill

1998 Buick Park Avenue Sedan Ultra 4dr Sedan

My wife and I bought this one owner car thinking it would the best choice we could make.WRONG.After owning it for 1 year we start having transmission trouble.$1400.00,4 months,and 4 bottles of Advil extra strength later we still have the same problem.It shutters real bad when taking off from stop.And just when every wants to scream about ford transmissions,Gm aint no more better.My Mechanic Worked for ford for 22 yrs.never has seen this before.If it weren't for true, i would tell you.The car is well worth the money if GM would fix for free.Oh Yeah!I almost forgot....If you plan on changing your battery,let Gm do it.My gas hand and temp. hand don't work now.broke when i changed it myself.Good

Favorite Features

Our car has every optition except a working gas and temp hang...

Suggested Improvements

Please help me understand.With only 240hp. You can't build transmission to hold up.......