1997 Buick Park Avenue - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Park Avenue model:
This Car Has Great Potential
By Susannah111 on 10/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Buick Park Avenue 4dr Sedan

We went from an S-class Mercedes to this car and find it much roomier, more comfortable, and far better on gas (28-29 mpg highway driving.)

I'll never buy another
By mrmark on 07/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Buick Park Avenue 4dr Sedan

This is the third Buick I have owned. The two previous ones were LeSabres. I have just spent $5100 on a new engine because the plastic manifold plenum used by GM caused my engine to fill up with water and caused major damage. The window switch has broken, the car gets water inside the passenger area when in a car wash or in the rain. The rotors have been replaced because of warpage, the water pump was replaced, the air compressor was replaced, the sensing wipers have not worked properly, the ash tray broke and will not close, the seat control panel snapped off.

not worth the money
By clayton on 03/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Buick Park Avenue 4dr Sedan

Too many problems for this price car. In less than 50,000 miles, new brakes around,new water pump,electrical problems, both power window controls broke into door,wiper control malfunction($500), traction control malfunction inspite of $500 repair to front wheel.

Costly comfort
By rcshn on 02/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Buick Park Avenue 4dr Sedan

This beautiful, luxurious, roomy Detroit turnpike-mobile has been nothing but trouble. At 37000, I needed $2700 worth of engine work. At 38000, the starter died. At 40000, I had electrical problems with the transmission. The CD player hasn't worked since 1998. I like these big boats. I've been driving them for 30 years. But my next car is going to be an Avalon, or Saab, maybe an older Lexus or Q-series Infiniti. Never buy this car without the Gran Touring suspension. Expect large repair bills early.

Beware 75,000 miles
By Jeff Wright on 02/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Buick Park Avenue 4dr Sedan

Look out if you own a '97 Park Avenue that is approaching 75,000 miles. I bought mine new, and bought an extended warranty. As soon as the warranty was up, the paint started cracking, the cruise control went out, the passenger door handle broke, the window switch broke, the door lock collapsed inside the door panel, the gas guage broke. This care sucks. I talked to Pitre Buick before the warranty was up on some of these things but got stalled. After the warranty expired, no help. I called Buick. There response: tough luck. Why not buy a new car from us? Buyers beware, Park Avenues fall apart after 75,000 miles.

The Best Car I have Ever Owned
By Marc Neal on 01/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Buick Park Avenue Ultra 4dr Sedan

This is the fourth Park Ave. that I have owned. I have 145,000 miles on this car now and I am shopping for another one just like it. It is a sporty large comfortable car. With only a few minor problems in the four years I have owned it, I would highly recommend a Park Avenue Ultra for a consumer who needs ultimate comfort and reliability, and styling.

I like my Ultra
By Cimunique on 07/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Buick Park Avenue Ultra 4dr Sedan

I bought my first Buick Ultra in 1992. I drove it until it 1997 when it was in an accident. I didn't want to get rid of it because I really liked the body style. I did not have any problems with that vehicle until until I was hit. The Ultra I have now is great like the one before. I make sure all the maintainence is done timely and it has been a job to own. It is a great vehicle. When I buy another car it will more than likely be a Buick Ultra. I don't know of a better vehicle.

W. O. Long
By W. O. Long on 06/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Buick Park Avenue 4dr Sedan

Has been an outstanding car. Gives very good milage, excellent performance, and overall fun to drive.

97 park ave
By jaamo on 05/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Buick Park Avenue 4dr Sedan

Vehicle with excellent potential. comfortable and quiet. Decent acceleration, good handling(with touring suspension) an honest 30 MPG highway and room for six -- in compfort Minuses: mechanicals not as robust as they should be. Replaced brake rotors twice from warpage, replaced a waterpump at 32000 miles (disgraceful), the power window switch has been replaced once and has failed again, the moisture sensing wipers have never worked properly -- but who needs them. Now, the oil pan gasket is leaking and it's a $375 repair, and I know three others with same engine and same oil pan problem. I'd buy another, though, as nothing else in the domstic market compares.

great car; but expensive to repair
By danny on 05/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Buick Park Avenue 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1997 buick in the spring of 2000; thank the lord I had mechanical breakdown coverage. I had to have total brake job; replaced intake manifold gasket, belt tensioner for serpentine belt, waterpump, rear defrost stopped working 165.00 to repair; wasn't covered. For such a hefty purchase price, there were quite a few problems. Now it's fixed; is now a great car to drive.