Used 1997 Buick Park Avenue Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Park Avenue model:

Good Car
By davermon

1997 Buick Park Avenue 4dr Sedan

Very good car with amazing gas mileage for the size and build. My Father and Grandmother both have Buicks, (Dad's is a 92 Park Ave and Grandma's is a 89 Century). They both got great gas mileage, but not as good as mine! I get 34 highway and 26 city. It is a good heavy car that holds the road when driving and is good on ice with the automatic traction control option. The previous owner had the melted plastic piece on the manifold, but his warranty covered it and he told me if it happened again he would cover it personally. Haven't had one major problem with it and the former owner only had the plastic piece problem. 157,000 with only one problem isn't bad.

Automatic wipers, steering wheel controls, DIC, leather seats, automatic traction control.

Shame on GM!
By Gidge

1997 Buick Park Avenue 4dr Sedan

Sharp car but GM refuses to make good on all the 3800 engines damaged by plastic intake manifolds (class action lawsuit only gives you $50 or so unless the entire engine is replaced & then what you get won't cover it.) (GM wonders why people are buying other brands?) Replaced alternator, battery, pwr st. pump, transmission parts, warped rotors, Intake manifold, I/M gaskets separately (which are now leaking again for 3rd time) ashtray replaced psgr seat controls replaced, wipers very erratic, Rear air shocks, front strut mounts bad, had to pull engine mount just to replace serpentine belt, repeated problems with rough upshift, (dealer says" no code, no problem") Gets 30-4o mpg highway. Nice ride.

Radio/heater controls in steering wheel, driver 1 & 2 memory, exceptional interior & trunk room, quiet comfortable ride. exceptional highway mileage for big luxury car

GM must stop lying that there is no problem with their 3800 engines intake manifold! My husbands Bonneville has same engine and had to replace it due to same problem! Too unreliable! My mechanic pulled out the DEXCOOL antifreeze.

Dependable luxury
By buickfan

1997 Buick Park Avenue 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car when it was 4 years old for a mere $10,500! At the time it had 71,000 miles and was in a very good shape. This car turned me into strong Buick fan and I don't want to part with it as long as possible. In the last 7 years I had some issues, but they were not serious enough to cost a lot of money. I was seriously considering buying another Park Avenue.

Comfort - great for long trips. Fuel economy - outstanding. I am averaging 26-27 mpg, personal record is 31.8 mpg on a 340 highway miles trip). Good quality. Interior ergonomics is the best of any car I have ever driven. No central console

These things drive me crazy at times: Automatic windshield wipers - no control over their speed whatsoever. Uncomfortable headrests

Five years.... 208K and counting
By turbochris

1997 Buick Park Avenue 4dr Sedan

I bought this car over five years ago for 1000 dollars because it had 152000 miles on it. Now it has 208000 and still going strong. I put rear shocks on it because my wife thinks it's a truck. It's been on countless long trips, with no problems other than a blown tire after I ran over a bungie cord (hardly the cars fault) Rides smooth and I average 21 MPG in the city and 32 MPG on long trips. Been paid for and awesome. Yeah, it's an old mans car, but no monthly payments and pure realiabilty make up for that!

Heated seats, in dash navigation (added) with sirius radio, automatic HVAC, lights, windows, seats, mirrors, wipers. electronic ride, memory seats, plenty of room.

Bring it back into production!

Never again
By LD

1997 Buick Park Avenue 4dr Sedan

This car is absolutely terrible. Everything except the transmission and radiator has been replaced at least once and many components are the third or fourth generation. The trunk leaks, the headlights are as worthless as candles, 3 alternators, 2 steering pumps, 3 fuel pumps, 4 fuel senders, one PLASTIC INTAKE MANIFOLD, one water pump, multiple dash realys, air conditioning controls four times, and a myriad of other componenets. Currently, the rear defogger doesn't work and the fuel guage is out again. Not worth it, even if its given to you.

Someday getting rid of it, and, it has decent winter traction with snow tires.

Learn from Toyota or Honda how to build a car.