1997 Buick Park Avenue - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Park Avenue model:
1997 Buick Park Avenue 4 Dr STD Sedan
By randy on 08/19/07 07:21 AM (PDT)

1997 Buick Park Avenue 4dr Sedan

With 3 children we needed room but didn't want a minivan. Bought this car with 86000 miles. Numerous problems that weren't major but irritating. The accuators on the a/c went out and would not blow through the vents $500. Window switch broke $200. Radiator leaked $250. Harmonic balancer went out $175. We like the comfort of this car. It was made to drive long distances. Good gas mileage and power.

97 Park Avenue Ultra
By topnotch36580 on 01/10/07 14:18 PM (PST)

1997 Buick Park Avenue Ultra 4dr Sedan

This has been a very reliable car and is very comfortable to drive and is user friendly.

Big car, great gas mileage
By TMM on 07/20/05 11:06 AM (PDT)

1997 Buick Park Avenue Ultra 4dr Sedan

I bought this so I could have a big luxury car, yet also wanted to be able to get wife and all 4 of my kids in if necessary. Great on cruising interstates, and pretty good on curvy roads as well. It's very roomy and comfortable with a large trunk. Surprisingly great gas mileage, around 27-30 on highway. It has served my purposes well as a luxury car for business driving, yet it's good for family trips. It's reliable with no mechanical or engine problems, and gets good gas mileage for a car of this size to boot.

Broken Buick
By Joe R on 06/05/05 22:11 PM (PDT)

1997 Buick Park Avenue 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from the original owner when it was 3 years old. The car has a pretty good ride and is comfortable. The biggest problem with this car is that many things have gone wrong with it and were expensive to fix. There was a problem with a plastic piece by the manifold that melted and filled the crankcase with antifreeze ($900). Water pump ($300) Some timing sensors ($550). Alternator, battery, serpentine. ($500). Starter ($300). Wipers won't return.

Disappointment
By BootsyClay on 11/16/04 21:01 PM (PST)

1997 Buick Park Avenue 4dr Sedan

We bought this used from a reliable friend mechanic. In no time the paint was fading and peeling, the plastic manifold broke & quite a big repair bill even fixing it ourselves & buying parts on the net. Air conditioning went & had to replace condensor etc, The front power seat mechanism works, but is popped out of the seat. Seatbuckles broke. Something has happened to the struts. We've nearly always owned GM since my husband retired from there. Owned an Olds that went almost 300K miles until hit when stopped. Only one time failed to start when the timing chain needed replacing at way over 100K. We have lost a bundle on this Buick. Really a shame and sorrowful!

AVOID AVOID AVOID
By jim kirk on 10/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Buick Park Avenue 4dr Sedan

This is the worst car I have ever owned in my life. Poor engineering, poor build quality, terrible reliability. Every time I get in it, I wonder if it will end up on the tow truck again. My plastic intake manifold cracked, the coolant mixed with the oil and destroyed the engine. Cost 4,000 plus for a used engine. Other problems include 10" of water in trunk, failed steering rack, warped brake rotors, cracked leather, failed heated seat, constant electrical problems, broken door handle, door lock switch fell into door, burned out (and irreplaceable) dash lights. AC compressor bearing grinding, water pump, wonkie transmission. I rate this car a ZERO, but the scale doesn't go that low

Good decision
By jam4568 on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Buick Park Avenue 4dr Sedan

I am very happy to have purchased this vehicle. Because of it's high depreciation, I got a real bargain. It is a loaded luxurious sedan in perfect condition with low milage for a great price.

Cruising Machine
By avcad on 04/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Buick Park Avenue Ultra 4dr Sedan

Large, comfortable, powerful automobile. Very good servicability except for belts. Excellent reliability through 143,000 miles.

Love My Ultra
By JrRidge on 02/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Buick Park Avenue Ultra 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Ultra in Woodbridge Virginia with 74,500 miles and it has been a great car. I like the size of the car and it rides like a limo on the highway. The only problems I've had was with getting the fan, supercharger belts and water pump replaced at 125,000 miles for over $700. I've also had the front brake roters replaced twice due to warpage. The car runs great still and I now have over 144,000 miles on it. I believe I'll get over 200,000 on it like the Olds Regency I still own with over 211,000 miles on it which my son crashed it for me.

1997 Disaster
By Judd on 12/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Buick Park Avenue 4dr Sedan

I purchased this low milage car just recently from a person I know well. He took painstaking care of it. It looks brand new inside and out. Within two months the door lock button popped inside the door. The transmission failed and cost $1975 to rebuild. The ash tray broke and won't stay closed. The volume button on the steering wheel functions some of the time. The self- leveling feature has failed and I shudder to think what that will cost to fix. This could be a wonderful car if it was better built. I have had many GM cars over the years most of them purchased new (I still have my 84 El Camino) but this is the last one.