1997 Buick Park Avenue - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Park Avenue model:
Grandpa Car is Awesome
By Chase on 04/16/10 08:58 AM (PDT)

1997 Buick Park Avenue 4dr Sedan

Excellent car! I'll drive it till it turns to dust. very good gas mileage and extremely comfortable. Excellent functions and features. Only thing missing is cup holders and a power sunroof.

Top car
By Tom Janes on 03/11/10 11:38 AM (PST)

1997 Buick Park Avenue 4dr Sedan

Purchased used in 05 $4500 never regretted having a Buick. Best mileage 38 average 27 on long trips. We like the 8 way seats and all the gadgets that came with the car. We have another Park Ave a 92 and what a nice car this is our fifth Buick all Park Avenues. Today it has 155,000 miles and we expect another 100,000 plus miles.

comfortable but waiting for long run
By janetb on 02/06/10 10:44 AM (PST)

1997 Buick Park Avenue 4dr Sedan

I just got this car from my dad who couldn't drive it anymore, reviews are helpful... Gas gauge dances all over the place, windshield wiper stopped in the middle of windshield on off position, door lock button and window button fell into door.. But its 12 years old. Engine runs great, smooth on the highway and very very comfortable. Cup holder folding into armrest is annoying. Love the safe feeling of the car, will ride it till the wheels fall off, changing oil to keep it going! Janet

same as above and below
By donny87 on 09/16/09 20:18 PM (PDT)

1997 Buick Park Avenue 4dr Sedan

Same problems everybody else had, manifold melted oil and anti freeze mixed trahed engine found out when we replaced motor sensors were glued back on after being snapped , ,Nice, paint peeling off the trunk spreading like cancer the bug shield plastic wrap crap on the hood peeling, sunroof warped closes 1/4" lower on one side, control pad on both seats hang out, yup glad to know I'm not alone lol

happy with ole Bessie
By toquinn55 on 09/15/09 16:51 PM (PDT)

1997 Buick Park Avenue 4dr Sedan

We bought this car from our neighbor. He had bought it used. I love this car. It drives like a dream. I has given me very little trouble. (Battery, plugs, tires, etc.) The only complaint that I have is the paint on the trunk has flaked off. Other than this, I love it.

Good Car
By davermon on 11/13/08 16:52 PM (PST)

1997 Buick Park Avenue 4dr Sedan

Very good car with amazing gas mileage for the size and build. My Father and Grandmother both have Buicks, (Dad's is a 92 Park Ave and Grandma's is a 89 Century). They both got great gas mileage, but not as good as mine! I get 34 highway and 26 city. It is a good heavy car that holds the road when driving and is good on ice with the automatic traction control option. The previous owner had the melted plastic piece on the manifold, but his warranty covered it and he told me if it happened again he would cover it personally. Haven't had one major problem with it and the former owner only had the plastic piece problem. 157,000 with only one problem isn't bad.

Shame on GM!
By Gidge on 08/03/08 06:41 AM (PDT)

1997 Buick Park Avenue 4dr Sedan

Sharp car but GM refuses to make good on all the 3800 engines damaged by plastic intake manifolds (class action lawsuit only gives you $50 or so unless the entire engine is replaced & then what you get won't cover it.) (GM wonders why people are buying other brands?) Replaced alternator, battery, pwr st. pump, transmission parts, warped rotors, Intake manifold, I/M gaskets separately (which are now leaking again for 3rd time) ashtray replaced psgr seat controls replaced, wipers very erratic, Rear air shocks, front strut mounts bad, had to pull engine mount just to replace serpentine belt, repeated problems with rough upshift, (dealer says" no code, no problem") Gets 30-4o mpg highway. Nice ride.

Dependable luxury
By buickfan on 06/28/08 19:53 PM (PDT)

1997 Buick Park Avenue 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car when it was 4 years old for a mere $10,500! At the time it had 71,000 miles and was in a very good shape. This car turned me into strong Buick fan and I don't want to part with it as long as possible. In the last 7 years I had some issues, but they were not serious enough to cost a lot of money. I was seriously considering buying another Park Avenue.

Five years.... 208K and counting
By turbochris on 03/09/08 12:16 PM (PDT)

1997 Buick Park Avenue 4dr Sedan

I bought this car over five years ago for 1000 dollars because it had 152000 miles on it. Now it has 208000 and still going strong. I put rear shocks on it because my wife thinks it's a truck. It's been on countless long trips, with no problems other than a blown tire after I ran over a bungie cord (hardly the cars fault) Rides smooth and I average 21 MPG in the city and 32 MPG on long trips. Been paid for and awesome. Yeah, it's an old mans car, but no monthly payments and pure realiabilty make up for that!

Never again
By LD on 12/01/07 18:36 PM (PST)

1997 Buick Park Avenue 4dr Sedan

This car is absolutely terrible. Everything except the transmission and radiator has been replaced at least once and many components are the third or fourth generation. The trunk leaks, the headlights are as worthless as candles, 3 alternators, 2 steering pumps, 3 fuel pumps, 4 fuel senders, one PLASTIC INTAKE MANIFOLD, one water pump, multiple dash realys, air conditioning controls four times, and a myriad of other componenets. Currently, the rear defogger doesn't work and the fuel guage is out again. Not worth it, even if its given to you.