Used 1996 Buick Park Avenue Sedan Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Park Avenue model:

This car was a godsend
By Justin

1996 Buick Park Avenue Sedan 4dr Sedan

I needed a decent car as my daily driver was my 2001 Dodge Ram pickup with a lift getting about 12 mpg. An acquaintance bought this car for his son and he drove it hard for 2 years. Radiator blew and replaced with a new one, only maintenance issue he had. His son told him he needed to buy him a newer cooler car. Bad mistake as he had just turned 18. My acquaintance said first person to give him $500 got the car and his son could go buy his own cool car. Best investment I have ever made. Had to replace the fuel pump and rear struts at 220k miles. I use this car for EVERYTHING. I run a small moving company and constantly use it to haul a car load of big dudes for long stretches. Equipment, pads etc on highway mpg it's never been worse than 31 mpg. I also use it every month to visit my son who lives 1300 miles away. By myself with luggage, presents etc it gets 34mpg. 34 mpg for that size, power and comfort. Don't worry I wouldn't believe me either.

I'm not sure why it gets slightly better mpg than what other people are posting. I know how to properly calculate and I swear highway is 31-34. City is 26-28. When gas was cheap I drove across the entire USA for $80.

The car is 20 years old and I get a lot of crap from my guys for it being a "grandma" car but really they love it

It rides so smooth, like a big old boat which makes the mpg even more outstanding. Ahead of it's time features like extra extra visors to keep the Sun out at all angles and passenger climate control. The buttons look clunky but it works. Also the trunk is huge. I can load 2 professional hand trucks, dozens of furniture pads, tools, equipment, suitcases, personal items etc.

The perfect combination of power, mpg and comfort was achieved 20 years ago with the 1996 Buick park Avenue. Bullet proof 380 engine still going strong at 230k miles. For $500 it's one of the best investments I've ever made. I love this car!

Excellent buy!!
By alytheia

1996 Buick Park Avenue Sedan 4dr Sedan

I love this car! It's a plus that it is HUGE and has a LOT of trunk space - not like those tiny little cars they make nowadays! Great gas mileage - 24-26 hwy - very comfortable - bought it in decent condit at 123K for $2100 and have 228K on it now, 5 1/2 yrs later. I've had to get some repairs made - tie rod, front shocks, A/C system - but that's to be expected in an older car w/ a fair amount of mileage. Love the ride, the steering, & the huge front end! I can fit this in almost any parking spot - including those that compact cars can't get into! Great for trips, & I used to regularly make 200-mile round trips to home to see family. It's also taken us on those 7-8 hr trips very comfortably!

Love the tilt steering wheel & the comfy, padded seats that can adjust for any preference (height, tilt, etc).

dependable bomb
By mail lady

1996 Buick Park Avenue Sedan 4dr Sedan

use this for a back for rual mail route rain or snow the buck will go not a 4/wd but its a tank in the snow

seats, heater, cc, at weight, trunk space room to carry large packages

not a thing like every thing about it wish it had traction control but no biggie

Superb, underappreciated vehicle
By ssgconway

1996 Buick Park Avenue Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this because I needed a more comfortable ride than the 2007 Malibu it replaced. This park was kept outside, prev . owners lived on a gravel road, and they had a shade-tree mechanic doing the maintenance. For having 167,00 miles, it was still a very cheap but. I drive around 50K/year (at 229,000 now), and have replaced the transmission and alternator, along with the battery and struts. Everything else is pretty much original. I get 27 MPG from mostly highway driving. This car even got 26 MPG (on level ground) towing a trailer to Florida recently. It was like the trailer wasn't even there. Truly one of the last of the classic highway cruisers, and good on gas, too!

3800 motor is bullet-proof and car rides like a La-Z-Boy on wheels.

Transmissions are known to last no more than about 170,000 miles, and a trans cooler isn't a standard part of the trailer package, which it should be.

Great bang for the buck - GM lives on!
By Scott

1996 Buick Park Avenue Sedan 4dr Sedan

What a great find this vehicle was. I purchased this in March 2010 with only 22,500 miles on it for $4,250! Now have approximately 26,000 miles and have had no mechanical issues. Only things done to the vehicle have been an oil change and purchase of four new tires (due to original tires being dry rotted). This car is full of creature comforts and it rides like a dream - absorbs even the harshest bumps on the road. I would highly recommend this vehicle to anyone looking for a reliable, great riding car. Gas mileage has been incredible for a car of this size - have been averaging anywhere from 23 MPG (mostly city) to 29 MPG on the highway.

Cushy ride, great gas mileage, reliability for a 14 year old vehicle.

None that I can think of.