1996 Buick Park Avenue - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Park Avenue model:
Excellent buy!!
By alytheia on 06/23/14 10:43 AM (PDT)

1996 Buick Park Avenue 4dr Sedan

I love this car! It's a plus that it is HUGE and has a LOT of trunk space - not like those tiny little cars they make nowadays! Great gas mileage - 24-26 hwy - very comfortable - bought it in decent condit at 123K for $2100 and have 228K on it now, 5 1/2 yrs later. I've had to get some repairs made - tie rod, front shocks, A/C system - but that's to be expected in an older car w/ a fair amount of mileage. Love the ride, the steering, & the huge front end! I can fit this in almost any parking spot - including those that compact cars can't get into! Great for trips, & I used to regularly make 200-mile round trips to home to see family. It's also taken us on those 7-8 hr trips very comfortably!

dependable bomb
By mail lady on 09/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Buick Park Avenue 4dr Sedan

use this for a back for rual mail route rain or snow the buck will go not a 4/wd but its a tank in the snow

Superb, underappreciated vehicle
By ssgconway on 09/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Buick Park Avenue 4dr Sedan

I bought this because I needed a more comfortable ride than the 2007 Malibu it replaced. This park was kept outside, prev . owners lived on a gravel road, and they had a shade-tree mechanic doing the maintenance. For having 167,00 miles, it was still a very cheap but. I drive around 50K/year (at 229,000 now), and have replaced the transmission and alternator, along with the battery and struts. Everything else is pretty much original. I get 27 MPG from mostly highway driving. This car even got 26 MPG (on level ground) towing a trailer to Florida recently. It was like the trailer wasn't even there. Truly one of the last of the classic highway cruisers, and good on gas, too!

Great bang for the buck - GM lives on!
By Scott on 06/07/10 09:01 AM (PDT)

1996 Buick Park Avenue 4dr Sedan

What a great find this vehicle was. I purchased this in March 2010 with only 22,500 miles on it for $4,250! Now have approximately 26,000 miles and have had no mechanical issues. Only things done to the vehicle have been an oil change and purchase of four new tires (due to original tires being dry rotted). This car is full of creature comforts and it rides like a dream - absorbs even the harshest bumps on the road. I would highly recommend this vehicle to anyone looking for a reliable, great riding car. Gas mileage has been incredible for a car of this size - have been averaging anywhere from 23 MPG (mostly city) to 29 MPG on the highway.

good for the long run
By lewis on 11/03/09 14:27 PM (PST)

1996 Buick Park Avenue 4dr Sedan

Purchased new and now have 284,000 mi. On 2nd engine and 4th transmission. Parts of my wife's Japanese car last longer, but the Buick is nicer on the highway, gets better mileage (app. 28 mpg) and is easy to maintain - and worth it. Actual cost per mile over the long run is hard to beat.

Low miles!
By Phil on 06/09/08 10:27 AM (PDT)

1996 Buick Park Avenue 4dr Sedan

This car has spent most it's life indoors & looks almost new in & out. I can't believe people paid three times for their's what I paid for mine with less than half the miles on mine. It's a one owner car I got from a guy I worked with that would of had to sell it to a dealer if not me because he was moving. I really like it to me it's like a new car except I can sell this one for more than I paided for it. I won't sell as it will go another 10 years & I work less than a mile from home so gas won't be such an issue even when it does hit $200.00 a barrel. I changed the oil & after about 900 miles it went through half a quart as I check it often. It tells you every time you start it try 10/40

Want another just like it
By DJBALD on 11/06/07 10:24 AM (PST)

1996 Buick Park Avenue 4dr Sedan

I told my husband that I would not get rid of this car till he put one in the driveway just like it. This was the most reliable, comfortable car I have ever owned. There was flaking of the paint after 11 years. We replaced the transmission at 120,000 miles. If I had not received a Yukon as a gift from my brother, I would be driving this car today.

What a steal
By Howie on 05/18/07 21:30 PM (PDT)

1996 Buick Park Avenue 4dr Sedan

Nobody wants these I guess. I paid $4400 OTD from a dealer for my unmolested '96 with 104K. Looked new inside and out pretty much. Now with almost 113K 11months later, the car has been trouble free. It's no sports car but it is smooth, quiet, and extremely comfortable to drive. Like a sofa with a steering wheel. Great seats, good power, good gas mileage, and soaks up bumps like they're nothing. Brakes aren't the best but oh well. This car is such a relaxing experience. I'll probably get another one when this one dies....if it ever does. People make fun of it and call it a "grandfather car". I could care less. It rides better than 90% of the cars on the road that cost quadruple.

Like driving a Lazy-boy chair
By Blackbird on 04/06/07 19:12 PM (PDT)

1996 Buick Park Avenue 4dr Sedan

OK, first off if you're looking for stylish sporty car, cross this one off your list. That's not its audience or intention. I was looking for a cheap car to drive primarily on the weekends when I drive to my g/fs house and take my dog with me and for trips to the grocery store, errands..etc. Otherwise I'm riding one of my 2 motorcycles. As far as value for the dollar this car is hard to beat. I paid $4400 including tax for mine with 104K on it and you could tell an old guy owned it before because it barely looked like it was worn down at all. Decent mpg (low 20s), insanely comfortable seats and ride, smooth powerful engine, power features galore, been very reliable, all for peanuts.

This Car is Ugly and Too Long!
By Victoria on 03/13/07 11:55 AM (PDT)

1996 Buick Park Avenue 4dr Sedan

This car was my parents car for many years. I always thought it was ugly and looked like a grandma car and I would never be caught dead driving it. But my parents got new cars and keep this one around for me to practice with. So I started driving it on my learner's permit in 2006 when it was 10 years old. Then I got my license in December and didn't have my own car yet. I was forced to drive it and I've been driving it for 3 months now. I hate how it looks compared to all the other kids in my school with all their small compact cars. It's so long and hard to judge how long the back is when I'm parking on the street or backing out of a parking lot. But it drives fine and has lots of features.