Used 2009 Buick Lucerne CXL Special Edition Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Buick Lucerne - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lucerne model:

Most Helpful|
Underrated beauty
By unklray

2009 Buick Lucerne CXL Special Edition 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car from the dealer with 5000 miles on it, it was used as a customer service vehicle. It has every option I can think of since it is the special edition. plenty of power, comfort. Gas mileage consistantly exceeds rating. My wife averages 23.5 in town and we get 28 on trips to Arizona or Chicago. Quiet and smooth is the keyword here

Favorite Features

Quiet, handling, gas mileage, blind spot radar (almost a necessity with this model), styling

Suggested Improvements

I have one complaint. I hate the seats. they don't go up high enough (I feel my butt is on the highway) and they are hard(leather). However My wife likes it and it is her car. We are going to have an upholsterer work on the seats however. add padding and lift. a small price to pay for a great car

Much better than the pros rate it
By unklray

2009 Buick Lucerne CXL Special Edition 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

We have only owned this car a month but it was a service rental and had 5300 miles on it. At that point it had averaged 20.7 miles per gal. My wife drove it locally a week and it went to 20.8. We drove it 125 miles mostly freeway at 70 mph and got 30.2 mpg. This car drives so smooth, quiet. Plenty of pickup and power. It has everything but the kitchen sink for options. I can't believe all the criticism I see when the pros rate it. Definitely recommend it if you want a great ride and value in a luxury sedan.

Favorite Features

The drivers seat goes back when you take the key out of the ignition and memory seat puts it back when you get in. Good mileage and power side scan radar to warn you if someone is in your blind spot.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the drivers seat would raise a little higher for me. More color choices. Otherwise perfect.

The Down Side of Safety Equipment
By Mike

2009 Buick Lucerne CXL Special Edition 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

In general, we like the car. It has good safety ratings, but some of this safety comes from thicker roof pillars and side and curtain air bags. The side and rear window size has also been reduced compared to older cars, probably for styling purposes. The result is reduction in safety due to big blind spots, especially at both the front and back of the door pillars. Unlke the car we replaced, the front mirrors don't have adequate range of motion to see into the side blind spots . Buick has side blind zone alert avaialble as an option. We don't have it, but would not buy this car again without it. The design of this and other modern cars makes this type of system almost a necessity.

Favorite Features

Satellite radio, heated memory seats, quiet, good ride, good leg room, excellent build quality

Suggested Improvements

It is a little sluggish which might be improved with a 6 speed transmission, better visablity and ease of entry, number the speedometer every 10 MPH instead of every 20 MPH. Make fog lights and dual exhaust outlets standard to please the crowd that really wanted another Bonneville.