Used 2002 Buick LeSabre Custom Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Buick LeSabre - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific LeSabre model:

My LeSabre Story
By buickowner2013

2002 Buick LeSabre Custom 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I got my LeSabre from a great-grandma who had stopped driving in 2012 and had put only 39,000 miles on it. Despite it's "fuddy duddy" image it has been a great car. Its very roomy, actually gets decent gas mileage on the highway (mid-upper 20's?) and makes for a good road tripping car. With the exception of one additional window that had to get fixed, and one that may stop working at some point, it has had no significant issues.

Smooth ride, reliability, roominess, large trunk, pretty good gas mileage on the highway

Fold down rear seats

window regulators
By hmcculloch

2002 Buick LeSabre Custom 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my buick used,in 2006 and it only had 22,000 kms on it.while ive been satisfied with the overall performance of the vehicle.I ran into problems the last two years with the window regulators.First the two rear windows went and I had them repaired at $450 each one.These windows were never used very much so they could not have worn out.This yeat the front passenger one malfunctioned and that too cost excess on $450.00.The pats alone was $278.00.For Buick to state they have had no complaints is a bald face lie.It wouldn't be so bad if they had at least reimbursed part of the repair. That will be my last buick I buy.

My 2002 LeSabre
By shadetree61

2002 Buick LeSabre Custom 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned many cars in my life, and this is definately one of the best. With just under 180K on it, I am now having to do the first major repair, an intake manifold gasket. I have read many negative reviews on this model, and would question how much care has been taken of the car. I have done regular oil changes, tuneups, brakes, etc. that any car needs, and this car has never left me stranded. I would buy another buick when I need another car without question. I wish they still made Lesabres.

I love the stylish body, comfortable interior, decent gas mileage, and the 3.8L has all the power I need. (I have pulled a LOADED camper up mountain roads with ease.) As reliable as any car on the road.

Like any FWD car, the rear bank of spark plugs are a pain in the butt to get to and change. Aomw areas under the hood are a ltlle cramped to work in, but all in all, I have worked on worse.

A Lemon
By exbuickdriver

2002 Buick LeSabre Custom 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This car was a lemon almost immediately after we bought it with 40,000 miles on it. In the first 20,000 miles the following parts needed replacement: plenum gasket,right drive bearing, and left drive bearing. All were expensive fixes costing $250-$500. Sensors wore out frequently on the motor. The MAP sensor and fuel regulator sensors were the last to go. While it rode nice, this car was poorly built and I won't buy another Buick Lesabre. I suggest reading the Edmunds reliability section before considering buying this model or any with the Series II 3.8L V-6. The garage bills far outweigh the positives on this car!!

I liked a few things about the Lesabre Custom. It got good gas mileage, 30mpg on the highway was common with this car. The 3.8 had good horsepower for passing when needed. It was a very good navigator for winter driving. The stereo with multi-band EQ was nice too. And the ride was smooth as you would expect from a Buick.

The Series II 3.8 V-6 should have been designed much better.(See reliability category). Everybody I know that has this motor has had plenum gasket replacement done. This isn't a rare problem. The drive bearings should have lasted a lot longer! Both front drive bearings going out before 60,000 miles? That's ridiculous!

Faulty window regulators
By Joe

2002 Buick LeSabre Custom 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I got a deal on this car used, one owner, only 30,000 miles; but the deal went sour after repalcing all four window units at about $600 a pop. Now my rear passenger side door will not lock or unlock (except manually) and the window will not operate. I was told it was a module that would cost around $400 to replace. I am not fixing it; I am selling the car. This well maintained car with only 66,000 miles probably has a lot of good wear left, but it is costing me money parked in my driveway most of the time. I am not going to risk spending $1,000 per door. Anyone hears of a class action, I am in!!

Comfortable ride and good gas milage.

Window regulators and modules make me reluctant to ever buy another Buick.