Used 2001 Buick LeSabre Custom Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Buick Lesabre - Consumer Reviews

2001 Buick LeSabre

View reviews for a specific LeSabre model:

2001 LeSabre Custom
By prof_turby

2001 Buick LeSabre Custom 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 01 Custom 3 years ago with 100K miles on it. I now have over 165K miles on the car. In that time I have replaced 2 fuel injectors, 1 door seal, a fuel gauge sending unit, and a transmission seal. Total costs for these repairs was under 1K. This is in addition to regular maintenance. I can say unequivocally that this is the best buy in a car that I have ever purchased. I gave 5K for it and today the car yields 23 mpg back and forth to work and 28 to 30 on trips. The 3.8 V6 is bulletproof. Oil usage is 1 qt per 4K miles with 7K interval changes. Dependable, low repair costs, and low cost of ownership. What more could a consumer want?

Update of last review
By Doug Fresh

2001 Buick LeSabre Custom 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

14 months later, and now with 250,000 miles on this beast, it has still performed without a flutter from the engine or tranny. I can't believe this car still consistently delivers such solid performance at about 22 - 24 MPG. In the last year, I had to replace the two front axles at about 230K, the lower control arms at about 240K, and the master electrical control, but what can you expect with this kind of mileage? She still turns over every day, looks great, and the interior, except for the cheap door skin pins, has held up well. Too bad they stopped making them, or I would now consider buying a 2010 when I give this one to my son in the fall for his high school commute.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, solid engine/transmission performance

Suggested Improvements

The door skins are held on with expensive cheaply-made crappy pins, the replacement window regulators are still too expensive,

Great Car for anyone
By LeSabre Custom

2001 Buick LeSabre Custom 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the car from the original owner. I have put 15k miles on it and love it. The car has 132k on it and sound brand new. The window regulators have had to be replaced but I did it my self and it only cost $75 per window. The car handles great in any weather conditions. I'm confident the car will go for 200k easy! Under the gas cap their has been some internal rust which is know for these cars. The design stinks if you are under 70. It is a definite "old people" car when you look at it but it does have some get up and go. I took a Lexus Rx 350 w/ no problem. Great Car overall

Favorite Features

Large and Roomy. Great in the snow

Suggested Improvements

Better Styling. Buick has already fixed this w/ the new Lacrosse. Window Regulators need to be engineered differently

Buick LeSabre Custom o.k.
By Nellie Pratt

2001 Buick LeSabre Custom 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Downfall of this vehicle is all four motorized windows have torn up. Transmission has to be replaced. Continually reads low tires no matter what you do, change, rotate, etc. of the tires. Body of vehicle easily dents, especially on the rear bumpers, absolutely no leaning on the vehicle. Otherwise, good driving, good gas mileage. Good for older adults.

Favorite Features

Easy riding on long distances. Good gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Better transmission. Company should use better motors in the power windows.

Nice car, except for electric windows.
By Joe H

2001 Buick LeSabre Custom 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Comfortable car, good milage for big car, 29 mpg on hiway 21 city. At 60000 miles, had issue with instrument cluster relays, would run battery down. At 65000 rear window regulators failed simultaneously. Now passenger side window does not function. Great car if you don't require fresh air. Hint- if you own a LeSare, don't roll down rear windows, good chance they won't go back up.

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride, feel safe. Rear load leveling. Very roomy.

Suggested Improvements

Fix window mechanisms. Needs fold down rear seat option.