1999 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Buick Lesabre - Consumer Reviews

1999 LeSabre Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific LeSabre model:

Sort Reviews by

Think Buick
By johnasazi

1999 Buick LeSabre Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

The best gas mileage for a car of this size! The gas mileage is better than my sister's Chevrolet Cavalier! Although the styling and seating may seem outdated, this is a great find! If you are looking for a car that has plenty of room for passengers and their cargo, this is the car. It is not meant to be a "fun handling" car. It is meant to be a very comfortable way to get from place to place with a minimum of disruption, which is quite important to some of us who refuse to drive like we are in a NASCAR race! See the 'Buick" emblem, and leave us alone.

Suggested Improvements

Offer power lift and swivel seats for those of us who have a hard time with out joints!

Stogie, but American and Great buy
By comfortable reliable

1999 Buick LeSabre Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

Paid $15,000 in 2000. Replaced transmission at 252,000. Now has 310,000. Yep!310,000 miles on engine that has had one ignition coil and two sets of plugs and plug wires. Just made a 500 mile round trip to NC mountains and MPG was 32.8. I double checked it twice. It is not unusual to top 30 MPG on trips. Bad mouth it all you want and I will smile and wave as I go buy at 70 MPH and 30+ MPG.Most reliable car I have ever Had.

Favorite Features

reliability, comfort, and mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Eliminate wind noise around mirrors, which they have already done.

225k miles and runs like day 1
By RJR

1999 Buick LeSabre Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

I've had this vehicle from inception and only given it the routine maintenance. Regular oil changes, tire rotations and a fresh tune up every 100k miles. I had the belts and hoses checked at 215k miles and all looked fine (all original). The interior has begun to show some age, but with the vehicle running so well and averaging ~27 MPG mix between highway and city, I continue to be pleased with the vehicle. I have aspirations of running this car beyond 300k miles.

Favorite Features

3.8 L V6 offers enough pick up for my needs and the fuel economy is not much behind some of the smaller fuel efficient vehicles. Plenty of trunk space for trips as well.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any.

One of my favorite cars
By Eveland

1999 Buick LeSabre Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

This is a very simple car. It goes up and down the road and is very comfortable. It's not a quick or a new car but it's reliable and it's cheap. I found that you can eliminate most of the road noise that you get with a good set of tires. It's easily one of the best cars I've owned for taking trips.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, cheap, and quiet

Suggested Improvements

Maybe better handling but then we'd probably lose some of the comfort in the ride.

188K & still strong!!
By my4thBuick

1999 Buick LeSabre Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

Yah... It's not the most stylish car! But I drive 30,000 miles/ year & my lesabre hasn't stuck me once. Great mileage for a lead sled & comfy. It's got over 188,000 miles & I just replace the original starter. Just starting to develop an intermittent miss. If you don't care about style... & you can pick one up.... go for it. And remember, ANY car can be a lemon!

Favorite Features

27 mpg highway, Self leveling suspension & nice leather gut!

Suggested Improvements

Buick should've spent some money on style.

Great first car
By schmidtkramer

1999 Buick LeSabre Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

My dad bought this car about four years ago and I loved it right away. Eventually passed it on to me about 6 mos ago and have had few to no problems other than routine maintanance. At 161,000 miles it still drives good but starting to show signs of age but I think it can last another 10-15k miles. Until I can get a new car

Favorite Features

3800 (3.8L) V6, leather seats, fuel economy (about 25 mpg combined)

Suggested Improvements

Better stock speakers

I love it
By SM

1999 Buick LeSabre Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

Great car. Needs nothing except for the usual; tune-up, oil change, etc. Fun to drive. Surprisingly powerful. Great fuel economy 29mpg hwy. A little too comfortable. Roomy. It is very low profile .

Favorite Features

It is a solid car. Rides quiet. Will last you forever if you don't drive like an idiot.

Suggested Improvements

Console needs to be more stable.

The Plenum theory, a story of an intake
By tony b

1999 Buick LeSabre Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

I have put on 40,000 miles since buying this car. No problems, great ride etc, except two weeks ago I became stranded because of the plenum burned out and coolant was logged in the lower intake causing the piston to stop thus stopping my car in the middle of nowhere. I had to walk for miles before a gentleman stopped and offered me a ride. Why was this part (egr) made of plastic and not metal...to save $.20 on each one? Now its going to cost me over $600. to repair it.. Good engineering. One thing is for sure and that is I will stick with Japanese cars..My last was an Acura and I sold it at 181,000.miles.

Favorite Features

Interior design

Suggested Improvements

You know what to do...don't be so greedy just to enhance your profit margin.

Happy with the old man's car
By rob

1999 Buick LeSabre Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

We purchased our '99 LeSabre after enjoying our '94. After 7 years the car is still smooth, comfortable and quiet. Yes, the 3.8 V6 does get 20+ in local driving and 30 on the road, which is helpful with gas prices today. Friends with newer cars may tease me about the "old mans" car,but they like the smooth ride and the comfortable seats. The only problem has been the battery. I'm on the third one. It's best driven easy, but does have good power for a big car.

Favorite Features

Leather seats, smooth ride, steering wheel controls, gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Better handling without sacrificing the ride.

Don't buy this car it has a GM defect!
By Mike Naveau

1999 Buick LeSabre Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

I was schocked to see all the other positive reviews. This car is a ticking time bomb and GM knows it but won't do anything about it. It should have been recalled. They used a plastic plenum part in the intake manifold cover that melts. No getting around it! Possible problems include coolant leaking, head gaskets blown etc, all very labor expensive repairs that will cost in the $800 dollar range. I bought this car used at 48,000 and spent 600 dollars on that repair. Two years later at 75000 spent 800 on a head gasket. Don't buy this car unless you want to keep pouring money through the hole that will develop in the plastic part that GM won't issue a recall on.

Suggested Improvements

It's a done deal. Gm already corrected this on it's updated 2000 Lesabre Model. However, nobody, I repeat nobody should buy a LeSabre from the model years 1997-1999 unless they want to keep pouring money into fixing GM's error by using a plastic part that melts instead of metal!