Used 1998 Buick LeSabre Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Buick LeSabre - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific LeSabre model:

First car I've owned that I Love
By cluchs8

1998 Buick LeSabre Limited 4dr Sedan

I bought my car with 140k miles and fixed brake lines (400) and valve cover gasket (150)leaks. The serpentine belt has started to squeak, but it doesn't matter, because the factory stereo is incredible for a 98. I love the ride, It's supple yet competent, more so than I expected from a boat. The torque and passing power is actually pretty impressive for the HP output. It wafts from 40-75 like it's nothing, and with cruise on at 60 i get 29 mpg. I get about 17-20 in the city,and it's awesome on snow w/ all seasons. I feel safer in it than i do my 2010 dodge ram. brakes don't really cut it, you have to pay attention, sudden stops aren't its favorite.I named mine Victor.Best grand i ever spent

Surprisingly competent handling, good power, Highway fuel economy, trunk size, safety, durability (Was hit by a jeep in the door while he was doing 25 in reverse in a parking lot, and it literally did nothing. 2 shallow scratches, that's it.) I love the look of this years Lesabre, and they are fairly intuitive to work on, If not the most easily accessible, it is certainly doable. Parts are cheap, and the cars themselves are cheap to buy.

Brakes are a bit mushy for my taste. That and at 140k miles, these seem to need a bunch of stuff fixed at once, but the old owner was an abusive driver. I looked up the brakelines rusting through and it happened at 139k, and this is really common on GM vehicles from this year. Check them before buying. Sparks and other tune up items are a pain to access, to be expected on a larger displacement FWD engine.

Excellent from an economic perspective.
By esasllc

1998 Buick LeSabre Custom 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in February of 09 with 83K for approx. $2,900. An older gentlemen owned it and it was garaged and well maintained. Prior to this I owned an 04 Ford Expedition EB edition that was costing $600.00/month. I got rid of the gas guzzling money pit and since I have owned the Lesabre, I have spent less than $800 in total in almost 4 years. I'm amazed that when I drive 235 miles to visit my mother, it gets around 27-28 mpg and about 21-22 around town, but best of all, no car payments, fits 3 baby seats and keeps plenty of money in my pocket. At 135K, it has some quirks, but nothing major.

Quiet engine, inexpensive to maintain, good mpg for a full size car, handles well in poor weather, plenty of cabin/trunk space & comfortable.

The improvements I would have suggested were made in later years such as 4 wheel disc brakes.

I adored the buick boat
By stimely1987

1998 Buick LeSabre Custom 4dr Sedan

Bought the car 5 years ago from a family member.. had 113,000 now has 156,000.. Absolutely a tough car.. in five years i've only replaced a few sensors nothing over 50 bucks. Had to replace brake lines twice due to one garage being shady.. Water pump which was an easy fix. Muffler but PA winters are horrible and the biggest fix was the security system locked up. but it only cost 150 bucks.. Instead of paying 2 grand for GM to fix it, I had a good mechanic bypass the security system by cutting a few wires and regrounding them down with cheap resistors from Radio Shack.. No regrets having the buick I love it.. But she's getting old so it's time for a new one soon...

Captain's seat... All power in the 98 model and super comfortable.. Took it on a four hour trip and wasn't jet lagged in the least.. Passengers have complimented on how nice the ride is.. Also surprisingly easy on gas and if anything should go wrong i've had many mechanics tell me they're not hard to fix at all...

The exterior isn't extremely tough.. Rust happens quickly on rocker panels.. Few paint chips here and there also replacing brake lights and tail lights in these things are way more complicated than they should be.. Bulbs are about 50 cents but it takes awhile to replace them

Most comfortable car in the world.....at a price
By bigboatlover

1998 Buick LeSabre Limited 4dr Sedan

I bought the car with 218000kms, fully loaded and aside from some surface rust on the usual LeSabre spots(near rocker panels) the car was immaculate. Now the car is at 236000km and the car has giving me the following grief: starter, left ball joint, serpentine belt, belt tensioner, and now a main seal oil leak at 236000kms! The car is worth the same at the repair job for the oil leak, i'm sorry by in 18000kms I have shoveled way too much into this car, the car has given me too much trouble after being perfectly fine 9 months ago.

I have never, ever, sat in a more comfortable vehicle, the plushy leather seats make it like driving a lazyboy with wheels. Fullsize boat of a car with massive trunk space, and 6'0 grown men can sit in the rear seats comfortably. It its one thing this car has its comfort. The engine is the world-class 3800 Series II, a Honda mechanic will tell you this engine will go forever. No problems with the actual powertrain, the V6 does a great job as usually heavy American fullsize car have V8s, 205hp is not bad at all for a boat, the power steering is a dream. The actual body of the car is built like a tank and the suspension is like a cloud.

The rust can be attributed to poor design. Rain, snow, dust, grime, soot, even leaves can find their way down inbetween your panel and the frame, you can even see the rotting junk if you open a front door and look down the where the door hinges are.

A great car for the money
By Terrific Automobile

1998 Buick LeSabre Custom 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car from a BMW dealer who had taken it as a trade in for a new BMW from a older lady. When I purchased it, it only had 27,000 miles. It now has just under 90,000 miles and has never had a major problem. It gets fantastic mileage. On one road trop to Branson I average nearly 34 miles to the gallon. It uses regular unleaded and yet has great performance. It has sleek styling, great comfort, and the luxuary touches you would expect from a much more expensive make. I would recomend this car to anyone seeking a reliable car, at an affordable price, with good performance and great gas mileage. I would definitely buy another Le Sabre. No wonder they hold their value so well.

1. Great Gas Mileage on regular unleaded. 2. Comfortable solid ride and handling. 3. Sleek Styling and lots of luxury touches. 4. Powerful 6 cyl engine. 5. Inexpensive to maintain and nearly trouble free. 6. Holds it's value well and always in demand for a resale.

None that I can think of, but I'm sure "when better automobiles are built, Buick will build them". As for me, I'd still rather have a Buick.