Used 1998 Buick LeSabre Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Buick Lesabre - Consumer Reviews

1998 Buick LeSabre

View reviews for a specific LeSabre model:

what a nightmare
By fed up

1998 Buick LeSabre Custom 4dr Sedan

Ran fine for a year. Six months ago the plenium cracked and broke, head damage, $1,000 to fix. A month ago, explosion, crunch and a piston connecting rod was shattered (it's about an inch thick of solid steel - imagine the force of that explosion!,) pieces through the engine-$1200 estimated to fix. My husband decided to tackle it - car was entirely apart when we got the recall from Buick that fuel adjustment guage was defective. We found fuel in the vacuum lines & that little part caused this. Since car is apart & we bought $500 in parts to fix, don't want to tow it to Buick. RUN SCREAMING from this vehicle.

Favorite Features

comfortable ride - when it rides.

Suggested Improvements

Serpentine belt was designed by a nut job-have to take the motor mounts off. There's a diagram in owner's manual after you've spent hours trying to figure it out.

Member of the $1,000 Club!
By Iamnotabuicklover!

1998 Buick LeSabre Custom 4dr Sedan

The WORST car I have ever owned, even beating my first vehicle, the 1980 Chevy Silverado Big 10! Bought 2004 Repear costs $1,000.00 average break down every 6 months other than normal maintenance repairs! Replaced:Senors- Fuel Cap/Engine,Alternator,Serpentine Belts(4),Brake Light bulbs(5),Water Pump and Belt Pulleys/Assembly,plenumn failed, now at 114k cruise contrl will not work, AC/Blower is not blowing out the vents, paint and plastic on steering wheel is flaking off(chrome as well)I have not mentioned normal ownership costs and maintenance, and lastly the worst A V6 GETTING 19 MPG both hwy and in city! My V6 thinks it is a V8! I have had my last BUICK!!!!!!!

Favorite Features

I hate to admit, the ride is smooth, plenty of room, handles wind like a ice breaker-rock solid, not subject to crime who could afford to keep it running! Leather seats, auto headlights

Suggested Improvements

Stop making them! Copy Honda or Toyota production quality and standards, make the drive belt easy to replace since they last only 50K! Better MPG! Reduce repaire costs of parts and labor!!!

Hoping for a new home
By Robert Hoffman

1998 Buick LeSabre Custom 4dr Sedan

My wife inherited this car from her Father's estate and absolutely loves the thing. We have had the common intake maniford issue which cost several hunderd dollars to repair. I am waiting for a reprise of this problem because the replacement is also plastic. I find the ride to be the equivalent of steering a whale. Our Honda is far superior in all respects. I cannot believe the mileage I see in other reviews. We have been lucky to get 19-20 miles per gallon -- even on flat highways. I would trade this thing in a minute, but in interest of domestic tranquility that is not likely to happen.

Favorite Features

None that I can think of.

Suggested Improvements

Hold GM responsible for the poor quality design of the intake manifold This is obviously a major flaw the the company should correct. Fat chance.

problem after problem
By 1998 buick Lesabre

1998 Buick LeSabre Custom 4dr Sedan

Dealership told me whole engine was blown replaced re built engine for 2,000 dollars. tire rods, brakes, sway bar links and now as of today at 133,00 miles my positioner shaftsensor is out still dont know cost..adding on to that bushings and bearings and possible engiine mount due to transmission..i love this car with all my heart but put in as much money as the same price i actually paid for it..unless u know about cars i would not recommend this car to anybody unless u are willing to put that much time and money into this car

Favorite Features

good radio, heat excellent, cozy, big..very nice wood grain dash board

Suggested Improvements

everything

OK car, but don't pay much for it
By Take your chances

1998 Buick LeSabre Limited 4dr Sedan

This is maybe a good car if you live in a warm climate. Up here in the north, it has some serious flaws. The Lesabre is poorly designed for corrosion resistance. The left and right rocker panels have rusted completely through. The body shop manager said this happens on every Lesabre he sees. He attributes it to poor body design. The tires throw slush and salt into the rocker panels. The salt water can't drain easily, so it stays and causes rust. The inner wheel wells have the same problem. The front anti-sway bar often breaks in this model. Salt water accumulates at several points, causing it to weaken from rust. Mine was broken on both sides! The A/C compressor doesn't last long.

Favorite Features

Comfortable interior, strong engine, smooth ride,

Suggested Improvements

Better body design. More attention to corrosion resistance. Stronger anti-sway bars.