1998 Buick LeSabre Custom Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Buick LeSabre - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific LeSabre model:
First car I've owned that I Love
By cluchs8 on 04/12/15 09:59 AM (PDT)

1998 Buick LeSabre Limited 4dr Sedan

I bought my car with 140k miles and fixed brake lines (400) and valve cover gasket (150)leaks. The serpentine belt has started to squeak, but it doesn't matter, because the factory stereo is incredible for a 98. I love the ride, It's supple yet competent, more so than I expected from a boat. The torque and passing power is actually pretty impressive for the HP output. It wafts from 40-75 like it's nothing, and with cruise on at 60 i get 29 mpg. I get about 17-20 in the city,and it's awesome on snow w/ all seasons. I feel safer in it than i do my 2010 dodge ram. brakes don't really cut it, you have to pay attention, sudden stops aren't its favorite.I named mine Victor.Best grand i ever spent

Excellent from an economic perspective.
By esasllc on 09/27/12 19:39 PM (PDT)

1998 Buick LeSabre Custom 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in February of 09 with 83K for approx. $2,900. An older gentlemen owned it and it was garaged and well maintained. Prior to this I owned an 04 Ford Expedition EB edition that was costing $600.00/month. I got rid of the gas guzzling money pit and since I have owned the Lesabre, I have spent less than $800 in total in almost 4 years. I'm amazed that when I drive 235 miles to visit my mother, it gets around 27-28 mpg and about 21-22 around town, but best of all, no car payments, fits 3 baby seats and keeps plenty of money in my pocket. At 135K, it has some quirks, but nothing major.

I adored the buick boat
By stimely1987 on 04/10/12 16:58 PM (PDT)

1998 Buick LeSabre Custom 4dr Sedan

Bought the car 5 years ago from a family member.. had 113,000 now has 156,000.. Absolutely a tough car.. in five years i've only replaced a few sensors nothing over 50 bucks. Had to replace brake lines twice due to one garage being shady.. Water pump which was an easy fix. Muffler but PA winters are horrible and the biggest fix was the security system locked up. but it only cost 150 bucks.. Instead of paying 2 grand for GM to fix it, I had a good mechanic bypass the security system by cutting a few wires and regrounding them down with cheap resistors from Radio Shack.. No regrets having the buick I love it.. But she's getting old so it's time for a new one soon...

Most comfortable car in the world.....at a price
By bigboatlover on 04/16/11 20:24 PM (PDT)

1998 Buick LeSabre Limited 4dr Sedan

I bought the car with 218000kms, fully loaded and aside from some surface rust on the usual LeSabre spots(near rocker panels) the car was immaculate. Now the car is at 236000km and the car has giving me the following grief: starter, left ball joint, serpentine belt, belt tensioner, and now a main seal oil leak at 236000kms! The car is worth the same at the repair job for the oil leak, i'm sorry by in 18000kms I have shoveled way too much into this car, the car has given me too much trouble after being perfectly fine 9 months ago.

A great car for the money
By Terrific Automobile on 08/29/10 13:15 PM (PDT)

1998 Buick LeSabre Custom 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car from a BMW dealer who had taken it as a trade in for a new BMW from a older lady. When I purchased it, it only had 27,000 miles. It now has just under 90,000 miles and has never had a major problem. It gets fantastic mileage. On one road trop to Branson I average nearly 34 miles to the gallon. It uses regular unleaded and yet has great performance. It has sleek styling, great comfort, and the luxuary touches you would expect from a much more expensive make. I would recomend this car to anyone seeking a reliable car, at an affordable price, with good performance and great gas mileage. I would definitely buy another Le Sabre. No wonder they hold their value so well.

1998 Buick LeSabre Custom Review
By cccp726 on 04/20/10 19:49 PM (PDT)

1998 Buick LeSabre Custom 4dr Sedan

Bought car new in June, 1998. The first major problem was the intake manifold at 96K. $1700 later, I was back on the road. Great highway ride and very stingy with gas avg 24-25 mpg. Trans gave way at 212K had it replaced for $1400. Then I decided to have the rusted out d/s rocker replaced for $300. P/S rocker has only a little rust. Had several other issues obviously, but nothing over $700. Thankfully, I have an honest mechanic who performs service only when needed. Engine still running great at 226K with mostly highway miles. Security light came on..not worth it to fix. Left turn signal indicator needs to be manually turned off. Minor problem. Change own oil at 3-4K. Drive it easy.

Another GM Mistake
By Fred on 04/14/10 19:06 PM (PDT)

1998 Buick LeSabre Custom 4dr Sedan

Has 2 piece plastic intake manifold, which cracked at 138,000 ( I later learned they all do after 125,000 miles) leaked coolant into engine spinning main bearing. No trunk lamp, know who wants a vehicle without a trunk? DUH Tensioner pulley disintegrated at 80,000 miles, more plastic crap. Seats are made of cheap soft foam you sink into the seat. Drivers window regulator failed at 78,000 miles cheap electronics. Battery failed at 60,000 miles 7 years old. Cheap center cup holder. Brake lines burst at 125,000 miles from corrosion, they were not properly coated with protection material and placement at left front of engine compartment exposed them to elements

Old school road trip king
By luvoldschoolroad on 01/11/10 13:22 PM (PST)

1998 Buick LeSabre Limited 4dr Sedan

30 plus MPG at 70 MPH on x-press way and quiet as a library...floats a little but smooth ride...handles better at lower speeds but just a great cruiser at 65 plus. * way power seats and tilt wheel in your lap for the best 1 finger road tripper to date.

Can Buicks come back
By fishin09 on 12/25/09 10:10 AM (PST)

1998 Buick LeSabre Limited 4dr Sedan

Buicks seem to be a great handling car. I've owned the 93 Buick Lesabre with leather seats.. had plastic intake problem and tranny giving up around 180k. Hub lock key a headache. 98 Buick Lesabre nice ride but motor went around 85k with head gasket gone. Replaced motor now 40k. Dashboard sensor engine lights on Buicks seem to be problem. My mom has same problem with 96 Skylark. They ride great. Hard to believe GM can't stand up with the Asian cars.Have had bad luck with GMC Truck auto transmissions as well. American automakers becoming kings of junk.

problem after problem
By 1998 buick Lesabre on 11/10/09 15:57 PM (PST)

1998 Buick LeSabre Custom 4dr Sedan

Dealership told me whole engine was blown replaced re built engine for 2,000 dollars. tire rods, brakes, sway bar links and now as of today at 133,00 miles my positioner shaftsensor is out still dont know cost..adding on to that bushings and bearings and possible engiine mount due to transmission..i love this car with all my heart but put in as much money as the same price i actually paid for it..unless u know about cars i would not recommend this car to anybody unless u are willing to put that much time and money into this car