1998 Buick LeSabre Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific LeSabre model:
Excellent from an economic perspective.
By esasllc on 09/27/12 19:39 PM (PDT)

1998 Buick LeSabre Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in February of 09 with 83K for approx. $2,900. An older gentlemen owned it and it was garaged and well maintained. Prior to this I owned an 04 Ford Expedition EB edition that was costing $600.00/month. I got rid of the gas guzzling money pit and since I have owned the Lesabre, I have spent less than $800 in total in almost 4 years. I'm amazed that when I drive 235 miles to visit my mother, it gets around 27-28 mpg and about 21-22 around town, but best of all, no car payments, fits 3 baby seats and keeps plenty of money in my pocket. At 135K, it has some quirks, but nothing major.

I adored the buick boat
By stimely1987 on 04/10/12 16:58 PM (PDT)

1998 Buick LeSabre Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

Bought the car 5 years ago from a family member.. had 113,000 now has 156,000.. Absolutely a tough car.. in five years i've only replaced a few sensors nothing over 50 bucks. Had to replace brake lines twice due to one garage being shady.. Water pump which was an easy fix. Muffler but PA winters are horrible and the biggest fix was the security system locked up. but it only cost 150 bucks.. Instead of paying 2 grand for GM to fix it, I had a good mechanic bypass the security system by cutting a few wires and regrounding them down with cheap resistors from Radio Shack.. No regrets having the buick I love it.. But she's getting old so it's time for a new one soon...

A great car for the money
By Terrific Automobile on 08/29/10 13:15 PM (PDT)

1998 Buick LeSabre Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car from a BMW dealer who had taken it as a trade in for a new BMW from a older lady. When I purchased it, it only had 27,000 miles. It now has just under 90,000 miles and has never had a major problem. It gets fantastic mileage. On one road trop to Branson I average nearly 34 miles to the gallon. It uses regular unleaded and yet has great performance. It has sleek styling, great comfort, and the luxuary touches you would expect from a much more expensive make. I would recomend this car to anyone seeking a reliable car, at an affordable price, with good performance and great gas mileage. I would definitely buy another Le Sabre. No wonder they hold their value so well.

1998 Buick LeSabre Custom Review
By cccp726 on 04/20/10 19:49 PM (PDT)

1998 Buick LeSabre Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

Bought car new in June, 1998. The first major problem was the intake manifold at 96K. $1700 later, I was back on the road. Great highway ride and very stingy with gas avg 24-25 mpg. Trans gave way at 212K had it replaced for $1400. Then I decided to have the rusted out d/s rocker replaced for $300. P/S rocker has only a little rust. Had several other issues obviously, but nothing over $700. Thankfully, I have an honest mechanic who performs service only when needed. Engine still running great at 226K with mostly highway miles. Security light came on..not worth it to fix. Left turn signal indicator needs to be manually turned off. Minor problem. Change own oil at 3-4K. Drive it easy.

Another GM Mistake
By Fred on 04/14/10 19:06 PM (PDT)

1998 Buick LeSabre Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

Has 2 piece plastic intake manifold, which cracked at 138,000 ( I later learned they all do after 125,000 miles) leaked coolant into engine spinning main bearing. No trunk lamp, know who wants a vehicle without a trunk? DUH Tensioner pulley disintegrated at 80,000 miles, more plastic crap. Seats are made of cheap soft foam you sink into the seat. Drivers window regulator failed at 78,000 miles cheap electronics. Battery failed at 60,000 miles 7 years old. Cheap center cup holder. Brake lines burst at 125,000 miles from corrosion, they were not properly coated with protection material and placement at left front of engine compartment exposed them to elements

problem after problem
By 1998 buick Lesabre on 11/10/09 15:57 PM (PST)

1998 Buick LeSabre Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

Dealership told me whole engine was blown replaced re built engine for 2,000 dollars. tire rods, brakes, sway bar links and now as of today at 133,00 miles my positioner shaftsensor is out still dont know cost..adding on to that bushings and bearings and possible engiine mount due to transmission..i love this car with all my heart but put in as much money as the same price i actually paid for it..unless u know about cars i would not recommend this car to anybody unless u are willing to put that much time and money into this car

Not the best looking, but great to own
By Marc on 09/27/09 05:44 AM (PDT)

1998 Buick LeSabre Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

I recently was going through tough economic times and sold my 04 EB Expedition and bought a 98 Lesabre Custom with 83K. I am an auto technician so I performed all of the basic maintance(drive belt, run Mobil One, transmission filter and fluid to Amsoil, belt tensioner, tune-up, etc). The previous owner replaced the upper intake, brakes, struts & A/C compressor. The car has saved me a great deal of money from lack of monthly payments and getting great gas mileage. A drive to Grandma's(approx 235 miles) and the fuel mileage was 28-29 mpg. Mixed driving I get about 22-24 mpg which beats 11-12 mpg for the Expedition.

i cannot complain
By love_my_lesabre on 09/24/09 01:58 AM (PDT)

1998 Buick LeSabre Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

i bought this car 3 yeas and 8 months ago. it was used and had a little over 100,000 miles on it. i presently have over 153,000 miles on it. since i have owned it, i had replaced the brake shoes, air filter a few times, tires, have yet to tune it up but it is getting to the point where it could benefit from new plugs. it still gets decent gas mileage, when i first got it, i got 29-30 mpg, now probably about 28mpg on hwy. i am looking for another one and keep this one as a spare car. i hope my next lesabre is as reliable as this one has been.

Member of the $1,000 Club!
By Iamnotabuicklover! on 07/20/09 22:57 PM (PDT)

1998 Buick LeSabre Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

The WORST car I have ever owned, even beating my first vehicle, the 1980 Chevy Silverado Big 10! Bought 2004 Repear costs $1,000.00 average break down every 6 months other than normal maintenance repairs! Replaced:Senors- Fuel Cap/Engine,Alternator,Serpentine Belts(4),Brake Light bulbs(5),Water Pump and Belt Pulleys/Assembly,plenumn failed, now at 114k cruise contrl will not work, AC/Blower is not blowing out the vents, paint and plastic on steering wheel is flaking off(chrome as well)I have not mentioned normal ownership costs and maintenance, and lastly the worst A V6 GETTING 19 MPG both hwy and in city! My V6 thinks it is a V8! I have had my last BUICK!!!!!!!

Luv my buick
By desertjaws on 07/08/09 09:17 AM (PDT)

1998 Buick LeSabre Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

This is probably one of the best cars I have ever owned and my first Buick (1998). Had 57K miles when purchased (2005), currently has 135K miles. Has not been completely problem free but any problems have been minor. I do love this car and will purchase another soon.