Used 1998 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Buick Lesabre - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific LeSabre model:

Excellent from an economic perspective.
By esasllc

1998 Buick LeSabre Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in February of 09 with 83K for approx. $2,900. An older gentlemen owned it and it was garaged and well maintained. Prior to this I owned an 04 Ford Expedition EB edition that was costing $600.00/month. I got rid of the gas guzzling money pit and since I have owned the Lesabre, I have spent less than $800 in total in almost 4 years. I'm amazed that when I drive 235 miles to visit my mother, it gets around 27-28 mpg and about 21-22 around town, but best of all, no car payments, fits 3 baby seats and keeps plenty of money in my pocket. At 135K, it has some quirks, but nothing major.

Favorite Features

Quiet engine, inexpensive to maintain, good mpg for a full size car, handles well in poor weather, plenty of cabin/trunk space & comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

The improvements I would have suggested were made in later years such as 4 wheel disc brakes.

I adored the buick boat
By stimely1987

1998 Buick LeSabre Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

Bought the car 5 years ago from a family member.. had 113,000 now has 156,000.. Absolutely a tough car.. in five years i've only replaced a few sensors nothing over 50 bucks. Had to replace brake lines twice due to one garage being shady.. Water pump which was an easy fix. Muffler but PA winters are horrible and the biggest fix was the security system locked up. but it only cost 150 bucks.. Instead of paying 2 grand for GM to fix it, I had a good mechanic bypass the security system by cutting a few wires and regrounding them down with cheap resistors from Radio Shack.. No regrets having the buick I love it.. But she's getting old so it's time for a new one soon...

Favorite Features

Captain's seat... All power in the 98 model and super comfortable.. Took it on a four hour trip and wasn't jet lagged in the least.. Passengers have complimented on how nice the ride is.. Also surprisingly easy on gas and if anything should go wrong i've had many mechanics tell me they're not hard to fix at all...

Suggested Improvements

The exterior isn't extremely tough.. Rust happens quickly on rocker panels.. Few paint chips here and there also replacing brake lights and tail lights in these things are way more complicated than they should be.. Bulbs are about 50 cents but it takes awhile to replace them

A great car for the money
By Terrific Automobile

1998 Buick LeSabre Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car from a BMW dealer who had taken it as a trade in for a new BMW from a older lady. When I purchased it, it only had 27,000 miles. It now has just under 90,000 miles and has never had a major problem. It gets fantastic mileage. On one road trop to Branson I average nearly 34 miles to the gallon. It uses regular unleaded and yet has great performance. It has sleek styling, great comfort, and the luxuary touches you would expect from a much more expensive make. I would recomend this car to anyone seeking a reliable car, at an affordable price, with good performance and great gas mileage. I would definitely buy another Le Sabre. No wonder they hold their value so well.

Favorite Features

1. Great Gas Mileage on regular unleaded. 2. Comfortable solid ride and handling. 3. Sleek Styling and lots of luxury touches. 4. Powerful 6 cyl engine. 5. Inexpensive to maintain and nearly trouble free. 6. Holds it's value well and always in demand for a resale.

Suggested Improvements

None that I can think of, but I'm sure "when better automobiles are built, Buick will build them". As for me, I'd still rather have a Buick.

1998 Buick LeSabre Custom Review
By cccp726

1998 Buick LeSabre Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

Bought car new in June, 1998. The first major problem was the intake manifold at 96K. $1700 later, I was back on the road. Great highway ride and very stingy with gas avg 24-25 mpg. Trans gave way at 212K had it replaced for $1400. Then I decided to have the rusted out d/s rocker replaced for $300. P/S rocker has only a little rust. Had several other issues obviously, but nothing over $700. Thankfully, I have an honest mechanic who performs service only when needed. Engine still running great at 226K with mostly highway miles. Security light came on..not worth it to fix. Left turn signal indicator needs to be manually turned off. Minor problem. Change own oil at 3-4K. Drive it easy.

Favorite Features

Easy to reach oil plug and filter. Comfy bench seat. Had foam replaced at 160K. Easy to read dash. Easy to operate radio with steering wheel buttons. All power items still working. Roomy trunk. Great ride even with load.Great mileage. Handles nimbly. Doesn't attract attention. Nice interior light.

Suggested Improvements

Intake manifold, common problem with this car. Should have been recalled. Rocker panel rust, yes! D/Seat doesn't go back far enough for tall drivers. Cup holder on elbow rest is junk, would never risk using it. Headlamps fogged up from heat, safety hazard, had to replace. $$$. Great car O/A.

Another GM Mistake
By Fred

1998 Buick LeSabre Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

Has 2 piece plastic intake manifold, which cracked at 138,000 ( I later learned they all do after 125,000 miles) leaked coolant into engine spinning main bearing. No trunk lamp, know who wants a vehicle without a trunk? DUH Tensioner pulley disintegrated at 80,000 miles, more plastic crap. Seats are made of cheap soft foam you sink into the seat. Drivers window regulator failed at 78,000 miles cheap electronics. Battery failed at 60,000 miles 7 years old. Cheap center cup holder. Brake lines burst at 125,000 miles from corrosion, they were not properly coated with protection material and placement at left front of engine compartment exposed them to elements

Favorite Features

Great road car, smooth ride, long and wide holds the road better than any car I ever drove. Great gas Mileage for 3.8 heavy car, averaged 28 mpg on country roads, got 31 mpg on hwy at 75 mph

Suggested Improvements

make a seat with better foam compound where your butt does not sink. Put a stinking lamp in the trunk so i see at in there night you cheap dummy. one piece aluminum intake manifold place brake lines and with coating to protect from elements. better tensioner pulley