1998 Buick LeSabre Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific LeSabre model:
Most comfortable car in the world.....at a price
By bigboatlover on 04/16/11 20:24 PM (PDT)

1998 Buick LeSabre Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan

I bought the car with 218000kms, fully loaded and aside from some surface rust on the usual LeSabre spots(near rocker panels) the car was immaculate. Now the car is at 236000km and the car has giving me the following grief: starter, left ball joint, serpentine belt, belt tensioner, and now a main seal oil leak at 236000kms! The car is worth the same at the repair job for the oil leak, i'm sorry by in 18000kms I have shoveled way too much into this car, the car has given me too much trouble after being perfectly fine 9 months ago.

Old school road trip king
By luvoldschoolroad on 01/11/10 13:22 PM (PST)

1998 Buick LeSabre Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan

30 plus MPG at 70 MPH on x-press way and quiet as a library...floats a little but smooth ride...handles better at lower speeds but just a great cruiser at 65 plus. * way power seats and tilt wheel in your lap for the best 1 finger road tripper to date.

Can Buicks come back
By fishin09 on 12/25/09 10:10 AM (PST)

1998 Buick LeSabre Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan

Buicks seem to be a great handling car. I've owned the 93 Buick Lesabre with leather seats.. had plastic intake problem and tranny giving up around 180k. Hub lock key a headache. 98 Buick Lesabre nice ride but motor went around 85k with head gasket gone. Replaced motor now 40k. Dashboard sensor engine lights on Buicks seem to be problem. My mom has same problem with 96 Skylark. They ride great. Hard to believe GM can't stand up with the Asian cars.Have had bad luck with GMC Truck auto transmissions as well. American automakers becoming kings of junk.

OK car, but don't pay much for it
By Take your chances on 10/13/09 15:57 PM (PDT)

1998 Buick LeSabre Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan

This is maybe a good car if you live in a warm climate. Up here in the north, it has some serious flaws. The Lesabre is poorly designed for corrosion resistance. The left and right rocker panels have rusted completely through. The body shop manager said this happens on every Lesabre he sees. He attributes it to poor body design. The tires throw slush and salt into the rocker panels. The salt water can't drain easily, so it stays and causes rust. The inner wheel wells have the same problem. The front anti-sway bar often breaks in this model. Salt water accumulates at several points, causing it to weaken from rust. Mine was broken on both sides! The A/C compressor doesn't last long.

I loved my buick
By ckohley on 05/07/09 11:34 AM (PDT)

1998 Buick LeSabre Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from my father inlaw for 3000 with only 68,000 miles on it. Car was the best i've ever had. I've never had to put any work into it, and it still got me home (150 miles) after hitting a deer at 75 mph. The car engine finally gave out at 198,000 miles. Much sadness.

Toying with the Past
By Shunteezy on 04/17/09 09:38 AM (PDT)

1998 Buick LeSabre Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan

I was really scepitical about this car because of age and size. I really am fond of foreign whips as far as cars go. I am a domestic truck girl though! I was really super surprised with the fuel economy of this full-sized sedan. It gets nearly 30 mpg on the highway and 23-25 mpg in the city. This car has been rated the safest car in history and I see why; it holds the road very well and its sleek exterior design looks and feels safe.

The best for the money
By NYDogBoy on 08/24/08 17:46 PM (PDT)

1998 Buick LeSabre Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan

This is a problem-free car. In the past 8 years all I've done is replace two tires, and the typical brake and oil change stuff. I get 26-28 mpg hwy, overall about 23.5. Plus, this is a gutsy car. We cruise about 70mph and have plenty left for passing. The 3.8 engine is one of the best engines ever designed. The features on the Ltd. are outstanding; auto-dimming mirrors, suto headlight, outside temp, keyless entry, and many other features. I can't imagine a time when I will get rid of this ten year old car.

Pile of GM Junk
By John on 11/29/05 20:09 PM (PST)

1998 Buick LeSabre Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan

There was a year we had to fix it every month. Water pump, fuel pump, oil pump, starter. Pieces fell off. Once we drove over something that fell off and we blew a tire and damaged the oil pan. Back end made a creaking noise, dealer couldn't figure out why. Once in a while wouldn't start, dealer couldn't figure out why. Rear windows wouldn't roll down unless I sprayed with WD-40. Seat, radio, cigarette lighter broke. Inside fell off passenger door. Interior surfaces peeled off. Recalled twice. Battery bracket broke, battery fell down and cracked, nearly new battery had to be replaced. Engine blew at 99,000 miles. What a pile of crap. Don't walk, RUN from this piece of GM junk.

OK Car
By dave on 11/11/05 21:10 PM (PST)

1998 Buick LeSabre Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan

This vehicle has bullet proof GM 3800 engine. But the accessory drive components are so so. After I fixed all problems, this vehicle runs great. I am expecting no major repair untill it reachs 200,000 miles (at least engine and transmission)

reliable US full size car
By fang on 01/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Buick LeSabre Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan

the advantages are: cheaper than Japanese ones (avalon), very comfortable to ride, clean interior design and very fuel efficient GM engine: 3800. But the overall vehicle reliability is so so. I experienced lots of troubles from 53000 to 86000 miles range (ABS, trans solonoid valve, engine gasket, ignition wires and coils, AC blower resitor, etc.)