1996 Buick LeSabre Consumer Review: Old girl still has it!

1996 Buick LeSabre - Consumer Review

Limited Sedan (3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic)

Old girl still has it!
By ipman501 on

1996 Buick LeSabre Limited 4dr Sedan

This car has been great. I have about 135k miles so far and no really major problems (except one, which I will talk about later). I have gotten 31mpg on the highway and I usually get around 21mpg city. Had a problem where the car was mis-firing up hills and when the engine was under load. Did some research and figured out it was a bad spark plug cable. Replaced all the spark plugs and cables and now she purrs like a kitten. My A/C compressor clutch died about a year ago now and makes a grinding noise every once in a while, but that doesn't hurt anything or effect the car in any way (although no air conditioning, obviously). Driver power window just died a week ago. It's an old car, though...

With 205HP, this baby moves when you want her to. I can easily put people into the seat when getting on the highway. But with all that power, I still get great gas mileage for the size of the vehicle. Everyone who rides in my car comments on how comfortable it is.

One big design flaw in this car is that the subframe cradle mount retainers rust away and fail completely, letting the engine drop right out of the car. It happened with my sister's car and it would have happened to mine if I had not caught it in time. Just went online and bought genuine GM parts to replace the retainers and now problem is solved (just go to youtube and search for "The creaky lesabre" posted by bah53 and fast forward to 1:03 to see the retainer)