Used 1996 Buick LeSabre Limited Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Buick Lesabre - Consumer Reviews

1996 Buick LeSabre Sedan

View reviews for a specific LeSabre model:

Old girl still has it!
By ipman501

1996 Buick LeSabre Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan

This car has been great. I have about 135k miles so far and no really major problems (except one, which I will talk about later). I have gotten 31mpg on the highway and I usually get around 21mpg city. Had a problem where the car was mis-firing up hills and when the engine was under load. Did some research and figured out it was a bad spark plug cable. Replaced all the spark plugs and cables and now she purrs like a kitten. My A/C compressor clutch died about a year ago now and makes a grinding noise every once in a while, but that doesn't hurt anything or effect the car in any way (although no air conditioning, obviously). Driver power window just died a week ago. It's an old car, though...

Favorite Features

With 205HP, this baby moves when you want her to. I can easily put people into the seat when getting on the highway. But with all that power, I still get great gas mileage for the size of the vehicle. Everyone who rides in my car comments on how comfortable it is.

Suggested Improvements

One big design flaw in this car is that the subframe cradle mount retainers rust away and fail completely, letting the engine drop right out of the car. It happened with my sister's car and it would have happened to mine if I had not caught it in time. Just went online and bought genuine GM parts to replace the retainers and now problem is solved (just go to youtube and search for "The creaky lesabre" posted by bah53 and fast forward to 1:03 to see the retainer)

I's a keeper.
By juanosanti

1996 Buick LeSabre Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan

I've had this car over 3 years now and I love it. I got the car with 70,000 miles, now it has 101,000. I just had to change the O2 sensor. It's not a looker but sure is a champion.

Boring old person's car
By kretara

1996 Buick LeSabre Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan

I drive this car 7,500 miles/year and I'm glad I don't have to spend any more time in it. The leather seats are uncomfortable after more than 1 hour. At 60k the transmission started to hesitate on 1-2 shits. Trans. still working at 86k, but wondering how much life is left. Have been plagued by constant A/C issues. Some stupid little plastic part that controls where the "air" comes from is now on its 3rd replacement. Nothing like having the drivers side getting A/C and the passengers side getting heat. I have now replaced all 4 power window regulators...twice. Gas mileage is not great. 14 city/21 highway. My Crown Victoria was a much better car.

Favorite Features

audio and A/C controls on steering wheel. Big trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Quality build and quality materials. The car just feels cheap and cheaply put together. Dealer service has been perhaps the worst that I have ever experienced.

Not the sharpest, but good to my wallet!
By JC

1996 Buick LeSabre Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan

I bought this car a few months back from a friend. It has 189,000 miles on it. I bought it with the intentions of putting a new motor in since this was neglected. 20,000+ on oil, 30,000+ on filter and 3 quarts over full!! I decided to drain the oil, give it an oil change and filter change, drive about 50 miles and redo it again. This car is great. 29 MPH on interstate and no check engine lights so far. I have to tell you, with that much neglect and the thing still gets great gas mileage and never fails to start...there is nothing that I can do to that engine that will harm it!

Favorite Features

Never cared for the look of the "grandpa" car. , I am 29 and never seen myself driving one. But with that kinda gas mileage and power, I know now why they are popular cars. I have back problems and a 200 mile trip in that car was great. Very comfortable and smooth ride. Very big trunk!!

Suggested Improvements

Rather noisy air pump for dynaride. Could be due to age and mileage. Glove Box is kinda small. Power steering fill is kinda hard to get to. But this is pretty much any post 1990 car. Other than that, this car is just...well..perfect!

Gets the job done
By bigpop

1996 Buick LeSabre Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan

I like this car. It is very reliable (starts and runs every time), comfortable, roomy, feels solid, and feels safe. I have not had any serious repair issues. The car has about 119K on it. Gas mileage is OK for a car of its size. Smart money drives Buick.

Favorite Features

Radio and climate controls on steering wheel, easy access to the trunk release, power seats, smooth ride.