Used 1996 Buick LeSabre Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Buick Lesabre - Consumer Reviews

1996 Buick LeSabre

View reviews for a specific LeSabre model:

Immortal engine
By jjtoob

1996 Buick LeSabre Custom 4dr Sedan

I bought mine from a friend when it had 180k miles, but sadly, it already had a lot of wear, so I can't be sure, but I think it was just driven really hard. I've had to replace many parts, including the radiator and transmission, but the engine just keeps on going. Unfortunately, it still has a few different leak problems that I don't feel like spending money to fix, so I'm driving it to the ground and getting another car.

Favorite Features

It is comfortable, although unfortunately, my driver seat was warped. I don't know, the previous owner was very tall, not fat, but still heavy, so I sat with my right shoulder slightly behind my left shoulder like a gangster lol. I also liked the center console because I got used to resting my right arm on it, too bad that broke too and I had to remove it. I also liked that when it was installed, I could easily move it out of the way, so I could easily slide over to the passenger side and make out with my girlfriend haha.

Suggested Improvements

I think some of this has been already improved in some newer models, but I don't like the extended section on the driver seat because I can't put a regular seat cover on it, it has to be custom-made. I hope newer models don't have an engine mount in the way of replacing the serpentine belt, it makes such a routine job unnecessarily difficult. The power steering fluid cap is hard to reach/see, some models did have it extended upwards, but not mine. I hope any new models don't have that problem.

Old girl still has it!
By ipman501

1996 Buick LeSabre Limited 4dr Sedan

This car has been great. I have about 135k miles so far and no really major problems (except one, which I will talk about later). I have gotten 31mpg on the highway and I usually get around 21mpg city. Had a problem where the car was mis-firing up hills and when the engine was under load. Did some research and figured out it was a bad spark plug cable. Replaced all the spark plugs and cables and now she purrs like a kitten. My A/C compressor clutch died about a year ago now and makes a grinding noise every once in a while, but that doesn't hurt anything or effect the car in any way (although no air conditioning, obviously). Driver power window just died a week ago. It's an old car, though...

Favorite Features

With 205HP, this baby moves when you want her to. I can easily put people into the seat when getting on the highway. But with all that power, I still get great gas mileage for the size of the vehicle. Everyone who rides in my car comments on how comfortable it is.

Suggested Improvements

One big design flaw in this car is that the subframe cradle mount retainers rust away and fail completely, letting the engine drop right out of the car. It happened with my sister's car and it would have happened to mine if I had not caught it in time. Just went online and bought genuine GM parts to replace the retainers and now problem is solved (just go to youtube and search for "The creaky lesabre" posted by bah53 and fast forward to 1:03 to see the retainer)

I's a keeper.
By juanosanti

1996 Buick LeSabre Limited 4dr Sedan

I've had this car over 3 years now and I love it. I got the car with 70,000 miles, now it has 101,000. I just had to change the O2 sensor. It's not a looker but sure is a champion.

Boring old person's car
By kretara

1996 Buick LeSabre Limited 4dr Sedan

I drive this car 7,500 miles/year and I'm glad I don't have to spend any more time in it. The leather seats are uncomfortable after more than 1 hour. At 60k the transmission started to hesitate on 1-2 shits. Trans. still working at 86k, but wondering how much life is left. Have been plagued by constant A/C issues. Some stupid little plastic part that controls where the "air" comes from is now on its 3rd replacement. Nothing like having the drivers side getting A/C and the passengers side getting heat. I have now replaced all 4 power window regulators...twice. Gas mileage is not great. 14 city/21 highway. My Crown Victoria was a much better car.

Favorite Features

audio and A/C controls on steering wheel. Big trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Quality build and quality materials. The car just feels cheap and cheaply put together. Dealer service has been perhaps the worst that I have ever experienced.

Not the sharpest, but good to my wallet!
By JC

1996 Buick LeSabre Limited 4dr Sedan

I bought this car a few months back from a friend. It has 189,000 miles on it. I bought it with the intentions of putting a new motor in since this was neglected. 20,000+ on oil, 30,000+ on filter and 3 quarts over full!! I decided to drain the oil, give it an oil change and filter change, drive about 50 miles and redo it again. This car is great. 29 MPH on interstate and no check engine lights so far. I have to tell you, with that much neglect and the thing still gets great gas mileage and never fails to start...there is nothing that I can do to that engine that will harm it!

Favorite Features

Never cared for the look of the "grandpa" car. , I am 29 and never seen myself driving one. But with that kinda gas mileage and power, I know now why they are popular cars. I have back problems and a 200 mile trip in that car was great. Very comfortable and smooth ride. Very big trunk!!

Suggested Improvements

Rather noisy air pump for dynaride. Could be due to age and mileage. Glove Box is kinda small. Power steering fill is kinda hard to get to. But this is pretty much any post 1990 car. Other than that, this car is just...well..perfect!