Used 2012 Buick LaCrosse Premium II Group Sedan Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Buick LaCrosse Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2012 Buick LaCrosse Sedan

View reviews for a specific LaCrosse model:

Love at first sight, and so far it's been all joy.
By Hector Lahera

2012 Buick LaCrosse Sedan Premium II Group 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought the car used with 24400 miles. It rides comfortably and drives as if it were on tracks. The 6 fyi engine delivers power on demand; and it is easy to find oneself speeding without meaning to do so. If you buy the car used, and don't like the shift points, and I didn't, reset the transmission to the factory settings. The cargo space is only addecuate. Read vision would be next to zero without the rear view camera.

2.0 Stars!
By Sam

2012 Buick LaCrosse Sedan Premium II Group 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

So updating this after almost 15000 miles on the car.

Performance: Acceleration in this is excellent, watch out for the torque steering in this. If you hammer it while even turning slightly like to pass someone it will yank the steering wheel back straight. Fastest stock V6 I have owned bar none. There are a lot of reports on transmission issues with the 2012 and surrounding years. The way this is geared it's going to shift high especially that 2nd to 3rd shift. When you go from 2nd to 3rd it will literally drop only about 500 rpm. When I bought this it was shifting 4000-5000 RPM on that shift. 3rd to 4th was only slightly lower. This was unacceptable to me. So after fighting with Buick for months (While under factory warranty.) I finally got a significant answer as to how to fix this. These are adaptive transmissions. They learn how you drive. If you take off fast it's going to learn to shift at a higher RPM, which over the long term is not healthy for the engine or the transmission. Eventually I got them to flash the Transmission Control and wipe the memory clean. It took about 2 months for the car to 'learn' my driving style but now it rarely shifts over 3000 rpm. If it does it is because I have it in Manual mode or I've got it floored. Anyone out there having "Transmission problems with their Buick Lacrosse" don't let the dealer tell you this is normal. It takes them about an hour to fix it...

In regard to comfort... If you are tall or a big guy/woman getting in and out will be uncomfortable. The way the seat sits even back as far as it goes still puts a significant amount of your legs beyond the front of the door, thus making you pull your legs back and spin in the seat before being able to put your legs on the ground. I cannot count how many times I have smacked my knees on the steering wheel "even with it adjusted as high and far into the dash as possible." The advertisement they do of Shaquille O'Neal sitting comfortably in one of these is so much BS. That said, it has a comfortable sporty ride once you are actually "IN" the car.

The interior is decent. I have noticed that some of the chrome 'coating' on some of the accents starts peeling off. I did like the LED highlights in the car, and the leather is supple, soft, and comfortable.

As others have posted, the car has some visibility safety issues. Blind spots are a HUGE issue. If you are backing out of a angled parking space, best of luck you're not going to be able to see a vehicle or person approaching. Backing up is difficult in the car period, lane changing requires a full head/body turn to see if someone is near the normal blind spot. A simple though not a thorough fix is to buy 2 stick on blind spot mirrors, and put them up in the top outside corner of your normal mirrors. This helps tremendously in traffic. If you live in the North. THIS IS NOT THE CAR FOR YOU! The traction control on this has to be the worst traction control on any vehicle I have EVER driven. Works wonders on dry pavement. Get in an inch of snow you're not moving. The traction control has a rev-limiter on it. If you can't get traction you are literally dead in the water!

Reliability is good overall. I've only had one other significant issue that so far is unresolved in this vehicle. If you read Buick forums they are famous especially during the winter for having the evaporator drain get plugged up. If it's not dealt with immediately it has the potential to get moldy. Evidently mine wasn't dealt with immediately. I've had more problems with a moldy acrid scent when running the heat, it is especially bad when run on recirculate. Once this happens there really is very little you can do. My next step will be replacing the pan itself to see if that will help.

Value is about par for the course for a mid sized sedan. The cost is a little above what I think it should have been just based on safety alone. But overall it is pretty economical.

The car is E85 capable. Running E85 I average about 22mpg on a 70 mile round trip mixed city/highway driving. On Unleaded with 10% Ethanol I average betwen 24.5 and 25 on the same trip. If you keep this car at 65mph with relatively few stops over long distance it will push out high 20's low 30's mpg.

Poor visibility
By kccarib

2012 Buick LaCrosse Sedan Premium II Group 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I love cars....new cars, antique cars I love all cars. I enjoy driving any type of car. My parents have a new Buick Lacrosse and the visibility is nothing short of awful. I absolutely do not like driving it. There are blind spots everywhere. I cannot believe that a car company would design a car that is unsafe to drive. If I am at a stop sign several seconds pass before I have visibility of a full sized car or truck coming from my right. I have to lean forward and backward to avoid that blind spot. There is no way of viewing a car when merging or changing lanes except with the side mirror. If I look over my left should all I see is the b pillar and the c pillar and a tiny slit.

There are no favorite features to this car.

Roof Leak & Rust
By elleleblanc333

2012 Buick LaCrosse Sedan Premium II Group 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased our 2012 Buick Lacross (V6, Premium Pkg) in September 2012, the sunroof was draining inside the backseat floor took it to the dealer and "fixed", got some rain and sunroof was leaking again same place, taken again and "fixed", this time it was fixed right and came faulty from the Manufacturer because apparently there was a seal missing from the rear window..fixed. From the start there was rust on the bumper and trunk of the car, they "fixed" it at time of sale, day after sale and day after after sale, the rust keeps coming back and this makes 5 times the dealer "fixes" the rust issue, a new car as expensive as this should not have rust.

body design is beautiful..I love it!~!

Improve dashboard air bag bumps, they are noticeable and don't look nice on a luxury car. Improve the seatbelt slot, the seatbelt strap rubs against the slot.

Beautiful car, but....
By cherio

2012 Buick LaCrosse Sedan Premium II Group 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I love the color, love the look, the interior is pretty.
Looks, that is about all this car has.
I also own a 2006 Lacrosse.
This 2012 doesn't come close.
It doesn't shift very smoothly.
The ride is ok, but it is loud.
It sounds like I'm in a wind tunnel.
It is comfortable, but the seats are narrow.
A car seat or booster seat in the back doesn't fit well.
It sits on top of the seatbelt button.
I don't like the shift and the arm rest is akward with the gearshift so far back.
The door locks, park break are in the center, no trunk button.
Probably won't keep this one.