Used 2005 Buick LaCrosse Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Buick Lacrosse - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific LaCrosse model:

Not your father's Buick!
By GM 3.8 fan

2005 Buick LaCrosse Sedan CXL 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this CXL with the legendary 3.8 engine. It had 37,000 miles and was lightly used. I have driven it 7,000 miles. I love the 3.8 engine and GM got it right with the last of the series. Great around town mileage and good highway mileage. The original tires are about shot and I intend to upgrade with premium rubber. GM needs to put better original tires on its premium models. No problems and my mechanic has raved about the good deal I got from a VW dealer. The car depreciated to where a guy with two kids in college can afford a top line car for the cost of a tin can. My only complaint is that I wish the front leather seats were as nice as the European-style seats on my 1994 Bonneville.

Favorite Features

Powerful, thrifty 3.8 engine big trunk, handling

Suggested Improvements

European-style seats from the Bonneville, premium tires

Totally mediocre
By totally mediocre

2005 Buick LaCrosse Sedan CXL 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car used with 22,000 miles. Initially, I was very impressed with the design of the exterior and the interior materials. However, with time I have been mildly disappointed. No major complaints, just room for improvement. Like every other review, I am also disappointed with the fuel economy. Also, the 3.8 liter engine is not nearly as quiet or refined as other reviews suggest. The seats are unsupportive and stiff, although the leather is of very good quality. Have had an ongoing problem with the airbag light coming on for no apparent reason. Finally, the trunk lid has no handle to pull it up. Sounds minor but is very inconvenient.

Favorite Features

Quality of the leather interior, stereo has good sound, acceleration is more than adequate, very nice exterior aesthetically.

Suggested Improvements

More supportive seats, handle on the trunk lid, quieter powerplant, especially on cold winter mornings, roomier rear-seat

Not dissapointed
By AmJohn

2005 Buick LaCrosse Sedan CX 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car a year ago and have been very happy overall. Trunk space holds our stroller, a pack and play and still has room for a few bags of groceries. The sound system is very good. Very quiet and comfortable ride, good gas mileage. Only complaint is the intermediary joint is needing serviced or replaced, but other than that I would have no problem buying another one.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, trunk space, sound system, comfort/lumbar support.

Suggested Improvements

Radio control on wheel needs to be able to switch from radio to CD. Intermediary joint issue.

First Year Flaws
By GM Brat

2005 Buick LaCrosse Sedan CXL 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have now owned this Buick for 3+ years and have put 75k miles on her. She is still very docile, quiet and well mannered, just what you would expect from a Buick.

Favorite Features

I really like the body lines. The CXL with chrome package is very easy on the eyes.

Suggested Improvements

This is the second V6 I have owned, and both have pulled hard to the left under heavy acceleration. The suspension is not responsive (nothing to do with firmness) enough to give confidence in driving. Going over grates during a corner causes the car to jump around.

Better than expected
By Rodger B

2005 Buick LaCrosse Sedan CXL 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is our first Buick. We had a 2001 Aurora before this. We have driven this car about 38000 miles now. Car is very quiet and handles great. Ride is very smooth. City gas mileage is 19-20 mpg, highway is 30-32 mpg. Like everyone else these days, I would like more mpg but this is better than most cars of this size. Have not needed any repairs except a battery replacement which is normal in southern Arizona. I'm disapointed that there is no tire pressure monitor system on this car, Buick sure missed the boat there. This was corrected in 2006. I do wish this car had a memory system for the seat and mirror settings. Over all, my wife and I both love this car.

Favorite Features

Back up alert, XM radio, OnStar.

Suggested Improvements

A little more power would be nice, memory package a must, more rear seat head and leg room.