Used 2005 Buick LaCrosse CXL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Buick Lacrosse - Consumer Reviews

2005 Buick LaCrosse Sedan

View reviews for a specific LaCrosse model:

Not good long term
By anocrelic

2005 Buick LaCrosse Sedan CXL 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have driven GM cars for the past 32 years and have obviously been very pleased or I would have changed. I like the size, performance, styling and comfort of my La Crosse. I purchased it in 2005 with less than 15,000 miles on it and have had very few problems UNTIL it reached 90,000 miles. After that everything seemed to go wrong with this car almost at once. It's been properly maintained the same as all previous vehicles which lasted 150,000 + miles without problems. I am very disappointed in this vehicle for that reason alone.

Favorite Features

styling, heating/ac having separate controls, comfortable seating

Suggested Improvements

Durability should be improved, I would think long and hard before purchasing another GM car after my experience with this one. I'm very disappointed by the lack of quality long term in this vehicle. City mileage is not good although highway mileage is excellent, 30+

Still love it.
By Rob W.

2005 Buick LaCrosse Sedan CXL 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car new for my birthday in 2005 and saw it come off the car carrier. It is the best auto I have ever owned. I have just replaced orig. battery as I felt I needed to do so in S. FL and it will be six y.o. in Dec. It rides as tight and quietly as the day I took it and no repairs to date. Only a battery and two tires. If it ever wears out I will be another Buick. I do not understand American love of foreign cars when you can buy this luxury from GM for a lot less.

Favorite Features

Climate control, comfort, quiet, reliability. Feels safe.

Suggested Improvements

A/C for rear would have been a plus and only came with two front airbags. Six should be standard given rest of quality.

Good car for the money
By Sandra

2005 Buick LaCrosse Sedan CXL 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The car is roomy and comfortable with great trunk space. Good quality leather - after almost 5 years still looks new. The only three problems are the low oil pressure warning comes on sometimes - taken to two different dealers who could find nothing wrong - hasn't caused any problems, goes off after a few seconds. The other issue is the clunking noise that comes from the steering column when I hit bumps. An the last issue is the A/C which I need to have checked because its unreliable - sometimes cold as the arctic going to warm as the desert back to cold as the arctic within a matter of minutes; however, when it does work, it's very cold :)

Favorite Features

Body design. A/C when it works. Electric controls on drivers seat. Radio sound quality.

Suggested Improvements

Cheap plastic could use improvement - the black has worn off some of the buttons.

Not your father's Buick!
By GM 3.8 fan

2005 Buick LaCrosse Sedan CXL 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this CXL with the legendary 3.8 engine. It had 37,000 miles and was lightly used. I have driven it 7,000 miles. I love the 3.8 engine and GM got it right with the last of the series. Great around town mileage and good highway mileage. The original tires are about shot and I intend to upgrade with premium rubber. GM needs to put better original tires on its premium models. No problems and my mechanic has raved about the good deal I got from a VW dealer. The car depreciated to where a guy with two kids in college can afford a top line car for the cost of a tin can. My only complaint is that I wish the front leather seats were as nice as the European-style seats on my 1994 Bonneville.

Favorite Features

Powerful, thrifty 3.8 engine big trunk, handling

Suggested Improvements

European-style seats from the Bonneville, premium tires

Totally mediocre
By totally mediocre

2005 Buick LaCrosse Sedan CXL 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car used with 22,000 miles. Initially, I was very impressed with the design of the exterior and the interior materials. However, with time I have been mildly disappointed. No major complaints, just room for improvement. Like every other review, I am also disappointed with the fuel economy. Also, the 3.8 liter engine is not nearly as quiet or refined as other reviews suggest. The seats are unsupportive and stiff, although the leather is of very good quality. Have had an ongoing problem with the airbag light coming on for no apparent reason. Finally, the trunk lid has no handle to pull it up. Sounds minor but is very inconvenient.

Favorite Features

Quality of the leather interior, stereo has good sound, acceleration is more than adequate, very nice exterior aesthetically.

Suggested Improvements

More supportive seats, handle on the trunk lid, quieter powerplant, especially on cold winter mornings, roomier rear-seat