2005 Buick LaCrosse - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific LaCrosse model:
Not good long term
By anocrelic on 01/04/11 22:27 PM (PST)

2005 Buick LaCrosse CXL 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have driven GM cars for the past 32 years and have obviously been very pleased or I would have changed. I like the size, performance, styling and comfort of my La Crosse. I purchased it in 2005 with less than 15,000 miles on it and have had very few problems UNTIL it reached 90,000 miles. After that everything seemed to go wrong with this car almost at once. It's been properly maintained the same as all previous vehicles which lasted 150,000 + miles without problems. I am very disappointed in this vehicle for that reason alone.

Still love it.
By Rob W. on 11/17/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Buick LaCrosse CXL 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car new for my birthday in 2005 and saw it come off the car carrier. It is the best auto I have ever owned. I have just replaced orig. battery as I felt I needed to do so in S. FL and it will be six y.o. in Dec. It rides as tight and quietly as the day I took it and no repairs to date. Only a battery and two tires. If it ever wears out I will be another Buick. I do not understand American love of foreign cars when you can buy this luxury from GM for a lot less.

Good car for the money
By Sandra on 04/02/10 20:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Buick LaCrosse CXL 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The car is roomy and comfortable with great trunk space. Good quality leather - after almost 5 years still looks new. The only three problems are the low oil pressure warning comes on sometimes - taken to two different dealers who could find nothing wrong - hasn't caused any problems, goes off after a few seconds. The other issue is the clunking noise that comes from the steering column when I hit bumps. An the last issue is the A/C which I need to have checked because its unreliable - sometimes cold as the arctic going to warm as the desert back to cold as the arctic within a matter of minutes; however, when it does work, it's very cold :)

Not your father's Buick!
By GM 3.8 fan on 02/23/10 07:42 AM (PST)

2005 Buick LaCrosse CXL 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this CXL with the legendary 3.8 engine. It had 37,000 miles and was lightly used. I have driven it 7,000 miles. I love the 3.8 engine and GM got it right with the last of the series. Great around town mileage and good highway mileage. The original tires are about shot and I intend to upgrade with premium rubber. GM needs to put better original tires on its premium models. No problems and my mechanic has raved about the good deal I got from a VW dealer. The car depreciated to where a guy with two kids in college can afford a top line car for the cost of a tin can. My only complaint is that I wish the front leather seats were as nice as the European-style seats on my 1994 Bonneville.

Totally mediocre
By totally mediocre on 01/27/09 12:00 PM (PST)

2005 Buick LaCrosse CXL 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car used with 22,000 miles. Initially, I was very impressed with the design of the exterior and the interior materials. However, with time I have been mildly disappointed. No major complaints, just room for improvement. Like every other review, I am also disappointed with the fuel economy. Also, the 3.8 liter engine is not nearly as quiet or refined as other reviews suggest. The seats are unsupportive and stiff, although the leather is of very good quality. Have had an ongoing problem with the airbag light coming on for no apparent reason. Finally, the trunk lid has no handle to pull it up. Sounds minor but is very inconvenient.

First Year Flaws
By GM Brat on 08/20/08 17:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Buick LaCrosse CXL 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have now owned this Buick for 3+ years and have put 75k miles on her. She is still very docile, quiet and well mannered, just what you would expect from a Buick.

Better than expected
By Rodger B on 07/13/08 14:15 PM (PDT)

2005 Buick LaCrosse CXL 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is our first Buick. We had a 2001 Aurora before this. We have driven this car about 38000 miles now. Car is very quiet and handles great. Ride is very smooth. City gas mileage is 19-20 mpg, highway is 30-32 mpg. Like everyone else these days, I would like more mpg but this is better than most cars of this size. Have not needed any repairs except a battery replacement which is normal in southern Arizona. I'm disapointed that there is no tire pressure monitor system on this car, Buick sure missed the boat there. This was corrected in 2006. I do wish this car had a memory system for the seat and mirror settings. Over all, my wife and I both love this car.

Still impressed almost 3 years later.
By J C Glover on 04/08/08 08:36 AM (PDT)

2005 Buick LaCrosse CXL 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

After having driven Japanese cars for almost 20 years, I purchased a GM car with trepidation. Amazingly, GM got it right with this car in 2005. When I turned in my Lexus in Aug '05 I felt deprived but the LaCrosse had all the luxury features and more!

Buick LaCrosse - 2005
By Shirley Quinn/David on 05/05/07 11:38 AM (PDT)

2005 Buick LaCrosse CXL 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Driving this car is good to excellent. Mileage is very poor! It had a recall of the brake, I did not like that. I do not like the locks poping up automatically when the car stops to park. I think that is dangerous. Driver should control that. The exterior receives many compliments.

Beautiful, Competent, Comfortable
By Steve Rau on 01/17/07 01:26 AM (PST)

2005 Buick LaCrosse CXL 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I am thrilled every day to look at this car in the driveway, especially to hear it running (it has the remote start feature) and get into a cool car on a hot day. Yesterday, I was able to get into a toasty warm car with warm seats, because of the seat heaters that also automatically came on when I pressed the remote start button from inside my house. All the great gadgets work perfectly! I've had the car over 18 months, and have had no problems, despite the wealth of technology.