2014 Buick Encore SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Buick Encore - Consumer Reviews

2014 Buick Encore SUV

View reviews for a specific Encore model:

Love this car!
By suydam

2014 Buick Encore SUV Convenience 4dr SUV AWD (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought this car 2 months ago and we are both liking it more and more every day. I love a small car that's quiet and it has a high quality interior. Reviews about its lack of power are misleading. It has plenty of pep with the turbo and it actually gets better gas mileage than I thought it would. A joy to park in small spaces and I like the high seating position. For a small vehicle it feels quite roomy inside. It also handles well. We ar e empty nesters with 2 dogs and this is the perfect second vehicle for us.

Favorite Features

Backup camera with cross traffic alert Blind spot alert High seating Good looking car. I have the cloth interior with leather trim and it is very nice. Sunroof Good storage space Excellent visibility if you fold the back headrests down. Great fuel economy. I'm averaging 27-28 mpg in town, as good as if not better than my Honda Accord. The Intellilink interface is quite easy to use. Auto dim mirror

Suggested Improvements

Push button start Power liftgate Home link transmitter Larger gauges on the dash

Great Little Car
By snoopyfan

2014 Buick Encore SUV Premium 4dr SUV AWD (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased my Encore in September 2014 and I must say it is the best car I have ever owned. I am not one to like SUV's but needed something with AWD. This car sits up high like an SUV but drives like a small car. It does great in the rain and snow on curvy back roads. Gas mileage is great (average 26 mpg). As stated in many reviews, it is not a powerful car but it has the guts to get up on the highway at full speed. It has every comfort available and the safety features of a much more expensive vehicle. This is the best new car I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

Heated seats & steering wheel. Love the technology this car has built in as well as all the safety features.

Suggested Improvements

An automated tailgate would be great but not necessary.

An excellent buy for an commuter/urban vehicle
By davidgmills1

2014 Buick Encore SUV Leather 4dr SUV (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My car came with zero flaws. Great build quality. I have probably bought 20 or so new cars over my lifetime and none came as flawless as this one. First oil change due now after about 5,000 miles. I have not been back to the dealer since I bought it in June.

Favorite Features

This is an excellent commuter/urban vehicle. 1). Very quiet. 2). City mpg is very good. 3). Excellent build quality. 4). Turbo charged engine is fun to drive. Have owned many turbo Saabs and I love turbos. This engine is great around town. 5). Fun to drive for an SUV, which I usually don't like driving at all. 6). Back seat lays down totally flat. Rear seat bottoms pulls up and forward to lay against front seats allowing rear seat-backs to go all the way to the floor. And front passenger seat also lays flat. 7). Really well designed interior space. 8.) Very short turning radius and makes U-turns a breeze and parking easy, especially with rear-parking camera.

Suggested Improvements

1). It does not come with rear independent suspension; but, on the other hand, it does not seem to need it, as it handles very well without it, and is surprisingly comfortable in the rear as well. 2). Not a great highway car. Engine lacks power for a turbo; but then, I am used to Saab turbos which are great small engines for both power and mpgs on the highway. Ride height makes for susceptibility to cross winds. Hwy mpg is not much better than city mpg and disappointing. 3). Not enough trunk space.

literally a vehicle sent from heaven
By wunderman

2014 Buick Encore SUV Convenience 4dr SUV (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased my Encore in May, 2014. I wanted a reliable car that would get good gas mileage and satisfactory performance. What I did not pay attention to was safety features but that has changed! I was driving this past Monday prior Thanksgiving and was driving near 70-mph at 10-pm when I fell completely asleep at the wheel. I rifled off the highway here north of Cincinnati and drove head on into a guard rail. I woke up to incredible jerking and twisting due to the collision which ripped guard rail posts, one-after-another, throwing me in a roller coaster ride. The car air bags erupted and the engine fell beneath me. I kicked open the passenger door and walked without harm!

Favorite Features

Before wrecking the Encore, I had driven 14,500-miles and average 29.4 miles per gallon with an average speed of 35 mph. We had an early snow here in Cincinnati this year and Encore seemed to drive very well. The cabin is quiet and it handles well. Now there are some complaining about engine power, but I bought it knowing the primary target was good gas mileage with sufficient power. I got that and was pleased with its performance. But when I just walked away from a horrible crash I realized the best feature of my Encore is safety engineering. The car is trashed. I hit a guard rail at 70-mph and the police at the wreckage confessed that they anticipated a mangled body. I was fine!

Suggested Improvements

I don't know how to correct this, but I like to see when I turn and look over my shoulder like backing up. In this Encore, if the back seat head-rests are in the up position then they blind full sight. Such that as I look over my shoulder perhaps to change lanes my vision is impaired. It is difficult to see and you must rely on the side mirrors to maneuver on the interstate or in tight traffic.

Dissatisfied with Encore, GM, and the Dealer!
By dissatisfied32

2014 Buick Encore SUV Premium 4dr SUV (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We purchased our Encore brand new. After an initial "honeymoon period", we started having reliability issues. The car has now been repaired three times for suspension noise. It has gotten so bad that the Dealer & GM proposed a "Trade Assist" as they suggested we get rid of the car. Unfortunately the assistance wasn't much. We are very dissatisfied - we have spend endless time on the phone with GM and at the Dealer. I would highly recommend you consider another manufacturer!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive (when it isn't in the Dealer's shop). Comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability is way down. Don't believe the "new GM". Dealer could not get the parts, no one knew where the parts were. Dealer turned quickly to blame GM...need better linkage between GM and Dealers. If parts are promised on a date - someone should at least know WHERE they are!