Disappointed with Buick Encore
By neilman on
2013 Buick Encore Premium 4dr SUV (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)
Vehicle road tested wonderful during the dealer visit, but has been a huge disappointment after taking it home. We already exchanged the vehicle (so we're on our second one) and really appreciate the dealership's cooperation with doing their best to make the situation right for us. Both vehicles have the same problem, in fact the 2nd one is worse and I wish I had kept the 1st one. While entering and exiting our driveway (with the steering turned left or right) which has a normal drainage dip (water canal) between the road and driveway elevation, there are thumping noises coming from the suspension. Of course as is typical...the problem could not be duplicated at the dealership. I have driven many many cars on my driveway and never heard this type of noise from any other car. I owned 4 GM cars over a 20 year period through 2009, and finally gave up due to the consistent need to pour money into repairs after about 4 - 5 years of ownership. I thought things may have improved and gave it another shot, but I guess I was dead wrong. I feel terribly let down and like I made a huge mistake. The classic definition of 'insanity' is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. I must be insane for falling for the same mistake over and over.
Favorite Features
Luxury ride (except for the cheap thumping noted above) and features, great technology, peppy engine (I drive a 382 hp MB E550), memory seat, rain sensing wipers, beautiful design which my 18 yr old daughter loves (car is for her), great fuel economy, nice Bose sound system.
Suggested Improvements
Cheap thumping noises which feel like the wheels could fly off in an emergency manueuver, engine a bit loud while accelerating with a constant droning noise - but acceptable. This next one may or may not be a bad thing...as I have never previously owned a car made in Korea...but it is assembled in Korea and I wonder if that contributes to the quality problems I am experiencing. I did not know it was made in Korea...and may not have purchased it if I did. The dealership did not seem to know either...as during the negotiations I was told the vehicles were coming from Europe. I did not realize until after the purchase the window sticker shows where the car is made.
By mouseworks
on 03/31/13 17:07 PM (PDT)

My 2003 Buick Rendezvous developed the same EXACT problem. It was a lower control arm bushing.

By luvmydogz
on 02/07/13 16:44 PM (PST)

I have had mine for 2 full days and so far so good. I did my homework before purchasing and the information regarding assembly in Korea was readily attainable on the internet...this should not have been a surprise

By jdr62
on 10/27/13 22:00 PM (PDT)

I did a lot of research before purchasing mine, the Encore has been available in Europe since 2012 labeled an Opel/Vauxhall Mokka. So far I love mine, But I have the same noise as you experienced also pulling in and out of my driveway. Is this the reason the car was returned ?

By packer3
on 04/12/13 17:01 PM (PDT)

This has been the biggest problem with GM over the 15 years of leasing different Chevys with them. They sell you a good story however the end never comes. Had all of the same problems, I say the lemon law should read if you cant fix it then the deal is dead and you should be comped up front not waiting three time and then going to court to file your case that your going to loose. Just think if these companies were making medical equipment, frightful isn't it.

By rmc62
on 03/17/13 05:00 AM (PDT)

I am a new owner too. The drive is ok, I have not experienced your problem. But my issue has been part availability. I hit something in the road (less than 24 hours after purchasing it... Yep I did) and damaged the front bumper. GM can't get the part. Probably issues with getting it from Korea..... So not happy parts are not available for this new model. Dealer has been great however considering the situation. They paid for my rental. ( no loaners were available)

By neilman
on 03/22/13 12:54 PM (PDT)

Sorry for the delay in providing an update. Luckily we were able to return the vehicle and get our money back. GM and the dealer were very accommodating and cooperative throughout the process. I would say it was the best service I have experienced from all dealers of various brands I have done business with over many years. They actually put MB, Acura, Lexus to shame. Too bad...my kids really loved the Encore. Maybe down the road when the bugs have been worked out and the cars are made in the US we'll give it another try.