Used 2011 Buick Enclave SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Buick Enclave SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Enclave model:

Like an ocean liner (a thirsty one though)
By bigbaddave

2011 Buick Enclave SUV CXL1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I've had the CXL1 AWD for a week and am still adapting to a vehicle that reminds me of an ocean liner. It's very stately and is not the kind of crossover you'd want to be manoeuvring in a tight parking lot. My wife wanted a leather-seated vehicle, so I test drove the Toyota Highlander, Subaru Outback, Mazda CX9, Acura MDX and Chevrolet Traverse. The Enclave beat the lot. I love the exterior design but some of the interior controls are oddly placed. The gas mileage so far has been disappointing (no shocks there) and I haven't yet worked out a totally comfortable seating arrangement. My 15-year-old daughter though says the Enclave is "sick", which is a great compliment coming from her.

1) The controls are straightforward. I have no time for fiddly displays and thousands of buttons that need to be programmed. I chose the CXL1 in part because I didn't want to have to deal with the navigation screen. Even without the manual the dashboard is easy to understand 2) The heating system works well, almost too well. The interior heats up very quickly 3) There is plenty of space, both for passengers and cargo 4) The vehicle is quiet 5) The Enclave has a genuinely luxurious feel 6) The build quality looks to be excellent 7 The acceleration is fine for drivers used to the 0-60 mph in 11 seconds that we got on our old Oldsmobile Silhouette

1) The gas consumption is unimpressive, but you have a 3.6 litre engine hauling a 5,000 pound vehicle 2) The rear visibility is bad 3) The rear view camera is situated too low down and if it's raining, water covers the lens 4) The door storage panels are too small and won't hold a normal sized road map 5) Some of the controls are in the wrong place. Buttons for the rear view wiper, rear window heater and ventilation fans are too low on the dashboard and you have to look away from the road to activate them 6) The keys hang down in such a way that they knock against the driver's right knee 7) Your left knee will bang against the side of the car while the right hits the central console

So far so good.
By rafanna

2011 Buick Enclave SUV CXL1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have had my Buick for about 7 months now. I like and I am happy I bought it. I do miss my Tahoe everyday though. It was more comforable and the radio was far more supreme than the one in the Enclave. It get about 19 miles to the gallon on average only about 3 more mile than my Tahoe. I do love and enjoy the bluetooth that has great clarity and the sunroof. Over all I am happy, but will go back to a Tahoe probably in a few years.

Bluetooth and the sunroof

The radio has to be improved for as much as this car cost. The door trimming stains very easily.

Follow Up On Earlier Review
By rusgc

2011 Buick Enclave SUV CXL1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Just completed 3500 mile trip with new Enclave, I'm adding to earlier review. Ride is excellant and it's quiet. It's a big car, I didn't get used to the size as I thought I would with driving time. Poor outward visibility, and lack of maneuverability in tight spaces, i.e., parking garages, and busy parking lots is my biggest complaint. Gas mileage is disappointing, hoped for rated mileage at least, but it's 1 or 2 mpg less than rated. Interior conveniences are either lacking or too small to be useful. We've had minivans for years, nothing beats them for travelling convenience so I'm biased on these points. Overall, it's a comfortable, nice, if not exciting or "fun" to drive, car.

Good looking, smooth, quiet ride. Rich interior.

Better location and sizing of interior conveniences for travelling, i.e., hanger hooks inside back doors. No conveniently placed hanger hooks seems minor but annoying to us. Improve visibility, i.e., larger glass area. Improve gas mileage.

Quiet, refined, but...
By flablueovalfan

2011 Buick Enclave SUV CXL2 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

There is much to like about the '11 Buick Enclave. It provides a serene, luxurious ride. However, there are a few inexplicable and obvious nods to cost cutting that do not belong in a $50,000+ vehicle of this class. I particularly dislike the fact that the front passenger seat cushion adjusts front to back only - no angle adjustment! And is it to much to ask for some ambient interior lighting - like my $15,000 less expensive '11 Mustang GT has? A few bits of interior materials could be better - too much hard plastic. I had the Ford Flex with Eco Boost higher on my list, but the wife was put off by the styling. The Enclave is a nice car, it just needs more attention to the details.

Quiet ride

Change front passenger seat to same 8-way functionality as driver's seat - at least as an option, add ambient light package.

Enclave Seats Poorly Designed for Booster Seats
By lbardel

2011 Buick Enclave SUV CXL1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

2nd & 3rd row seats are almost impossible to buckle using backless &"with-backs" toddler booster seats (infant car seats w/5-point harness are ok). The latch at bottom of the seat does not budge & presses against the booster so tightly, you'll rub your knuckles raw trying to get the buckle in....also, the buckle is slightly angled making things even more difficult. I transport four 5-year-olds to Kndgarten & not one of them can buckle in......I bought 3 different brands of boosters, & nothing helps. There's just not enough room on the seat for the booster to fit against the latch. Buick suggested a belt extender; Buick later said NOT to use extender; they are perplexed for solution.

(1) DVD option is great; (2) Automatically starting up the car by remote; (3) Automatic rear lift gate; (4) Smooth and quiet ride.

(1) Wider seats or better placement of seat belt latch to accommodate toddler booster seats; (2) Somewhere to hang dry cleaning; (3) larger storage compartments on driver's and passenger's door.