Used 2011 Buick Enclave SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Buick Enclave SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Enclave model:

Make a mistake going from my Tahoe to this
By Anna S

2011 Buick Enclave SUV CXL1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I gave up my Tahoe to go to this because my two older children had moved out of the house and I did not need such a large vehicle. I intended on keeping this car for many years and giving it my daughter when she started driving. It has been in the shop with so many issues we now intend on trading it in next year and going back to a Tahoe. We have had problems from the motor mount, the drive train, the axle bearings and several other things. Thank goodness we had bought an extended warranty so we have not had much out of pocket cost. The Buick dealership has been very nice and apologetic about all the problems. It is a comfortable car but it is not as comfortable as I feel it should be.

Good MPG for it's size
By kb5868

2011 Buick Enclave SUV CXL2 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought a 2011 Enclave with only 20k miles after my lease was up on my 2012 Infiniti EX35. My Enclave gets a consistent 17 mpg in town compared to 15 mpg for the EX. It is easily twice the size of the Infiniti, the primary reason for not getting another EX lease - no one could fit in the back seat! So, for a vehicle that is nearly as large as my Yukon Denali, I'm fairly impressed with the gas mileage. everyone has their opinions, but I was puzzled by all the comments about how 2-3 mpg was bankrupting people that bought $45k cars and were considering $60k cars with better MPG to make up the difference. Different econ class than I had in high school I guess...LOL!

Roominess, highway stability and ride, reasonable MPG for it's size, resale value ( MUCH better than my Infiniti EX - good thing that was a lease or it would have been a huge loss)

Hate the transmission characteristics - the roll back, the high revs on accel from a stop. I get it, looking for MPG and peak torque, but annoying in it's operation. Steering wheel blocks instruments for taller people at any seat height or tilt/telescope position.

scary
By staugustine1

2011 Buick Enclave SUV CXL1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have had my Buick for about two and a half years now and love just about everything about it. It is comfortable, responsive, hold lots of people and things. My only concern is about six months ago my "service air bag" light came on. So I promptly took it to the dealer where they had it for several days and repaired the faulty piece. While I was there I asked the service tech if the airbags would still work if the light was on and he told me NONE of the airbags would have worked in a crash. The light came back on again today so I am bringing it back to the dealership to have it fixed for a second time. This is not some thing that I find acceptable in a 2 1/2 year old car.

Fix the airbags. This is a common safety feature in our cars and it is unacceptable to have this many problems with them. There is no reason why Buick should not be able to get this simple safety feature from malfunctioning. Airbags have been around since 1986. Get it together Buick! (A friend recently got rid of hers because she had it serviced four times for the same problem!)

19 months in, tearing my hair out over the gas bills
By bigbaddave

2011 Buick Enclave SUV CXL1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I wrote my first review after driving the Enclave for a week; we've had it now for 19 months. We bought it to transport my teenage daughter and her friends around and it's been a great success. They love the luxurious leather seats, the sound system and the great ride. The back seats fold down in a variety of ways and you can transport pretty much whatever you want. The main drawback is the awful fuel consumption on the AWD version, which is less even than the 15 mpg Buick claims it will get. Our lease runs out at the end of 2014 and we'd like to buy the Enclave, even though it will be a bit big for two people, but I think we'll downsize to a BMW X3 or the Audi Q5 just to save money on gas.

1) the controls are very straightforward 2) the vehicle is super quiet and even the basic sound system is excellent 3) the ride is very comfortable 4) the Enclave handles well and is good for long drives 5) once you work out how to configure the driver and passenger seats they're great to spend time in 6) the cargo capacity is enormous 7) the build quality is excellent 8) spotty radio coverage aside, we haven't had a single problem of note (unlike our Silhouette, which had a raft of electrical glitches right from the start) 9) the rear view camera makes parking a breeze 10) in general, parking is remarkably easy for a vehicle this size

1) I don't know how you can improve the appalling gas mileage, especially on the AWD version. Perhaps Buick could cut some weight somewhere 2) The door storage panels are too small and won't hold a normal sized road map 3) There really isn't enough storage space in the front; the central console is unnecessarily complicated to operate 4) Some of the driver controls are in the wrong place and mean you can easily get distracted while using them. Buttons for the rear view wiper, rear window heater and ventilation fans are very low on the dashboard and you have to look away from the road to activate them 5) the heating system is too brutal; in winter you either boil or freeze in the front

Good and Bad
By enclave774

2011 Buick Enclave SUV CX 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

The Enclave is the most comfortable vehicle I have ever driven. We got it to drive on highway trips and that's all we use it for. My previous Lexus 350 caused Sacrum pain after long drives. Six weeks in physical therapy at $600+/week definitely makes a few miles per gallon mileage difference a non-issue. If you want a performance vehicle get something else. The Enclave definitely is a land cruiser.

Comfortable seats, heated and cooled is great Ride is soft, steering is easy Sound system, interior environmental controls are very nice

Gas mileage needs to be improved for highway speeds Speed control hard to access/set Limited blind spot view on side-mirrors