Used 2011 Buick Enclave SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Buick Enclave - Consumer Reviews

2011 Buick Enclave SUV

View reviews for a specific Enclave model:

Good MPG for it's size
By kb5868

2011 Buick Enclave SUV CXL2 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought a 2011 Enclave with only 20k miles after my lease was up on my 2012 Infiniti EX35. My Enclave gets a consistent 17 mpg in town compared to 15 mpg for the EX. It is easily twice the size of the Infiniti, the primary reason for not getting another EX lease - no one could fit in the back seat! So, for a vehicle that is nearly as large as my Yukon Denali, I'm fairly impressed with the gas mileage. everyone has their opinions, but I was puzzled by all the comments about how 2-3 mpg was bankrupting people that bought $45k cars and were considering $60k cars with better MPG to make up the difference. Different econ class than I had in high school I guess...LOL!

Favorite Features

Roominess, highway stability and ride, reasonable MPG for it's size, resale value ( MUCH better than my Infiniti EX - good thing that was a lease or it would have been a huge loss)

Suggested Improvements

Hate the transmission characteristics - the roll back, the high revs on accel from a stop. I get it, looking for MPG and peak torque, but annoying in it's operation. Steering wheel blocks instruments for taller people at any seat height or tilt/telescope position.

scary
By staugustine1

2011 Buick Enclave SUV CXL1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have had my Buick for about two and a half years now and love just about everything about it. It is comfortable, responsive, hold lots of people and things. My only concern is about six months ago my "service air bag" light came on. So I promptly took it to the dealer where they had it for several days and repaired the faulty piece. While I was there I asked the service tech if the airbags would still work if the light was on and he told me NONE of the airbags would have worked in a crash. The light came back on again today so I am bringing it back to the dealership to have it fixed for a second time. This is not some thing that I find acceptable in a 2 1/2 year old car.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the airbags. This is a common safety feature in our cars and it is unacceptable to have this many problems with them. There is no reason why Buick should not be able to get this simple safety feature from malfunctioning. Airbags have been around since 1986. Get it together Buick! (A friend recently got rid of hers because she had it serviced four times for the same problem!)

19 months in, tearing my hair out over the gas bills
By bigbaddave

2011 Buick Enclave SUV CXL1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I wrote my first review after driving the Enclave for a week; we've had it now for 19 months. We bought it to transport my teenage daughter and her friends around and it's been a great success. They love the luxurious leather seats, the sound system and the great ride. The back seats fold down in a variety of ways and you can transport pretty much whatever you want. The main drawback is the awful fuel consumption on the AWD version, which is less even than the 15 mpg Buick claims it will get. Our lease runs out at the end of 2014 and we'd like to buy the Enclave, even though it will be a bit big for two people, but I think we'll downsize to a BMW X3 or the Audi Q5 just to save money on gas.

Favorite Features

1) the controls are very straightforward 2) the vehicle is super quiet and even the basic sound system is excellent 3) the ride is very comfortable 4) the Enclave handles well and is good for long drives 5) once you work out how to configure the driver and passenger seats they're great to spend time in 6) the cargo capacity is enormous 7) the build quality is excellent 8) spotty radio coverage aside, we haven't had a single problem of note (unlike our Silhouette, which had a raft of electrical glitches right from the start) 9) the rear view camera makes parking a breeze 10) in general, parking is remarkably easy for a vehicle this size

Suggested Improvements

1) I don't know how you can improve the appalling gas mileage, especially on the AWD version. Perhaps Buick could cut some weight somewhere 2) The door storage panels are too small and won't hold a normal sized road map 3) There really isn't enough storage space in the front; the central console is unnecessarily complicated to operate 4) Some of the driver controls are in the wrong place and mean you can easily get distracted while using them. Buttons for the rear view wiper, rear window heater and ventilation fans are very low on the dashboard and you have to look away from the road to activate them 5) the heating system is too brutal; in winter you either boil or freeze in the front

Good and Bad
By enclave774

2011 Buick Enclave SUV CX 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

The Enclave is the most comfortable vehicle I have ever driven. We got it to drive on highway trips and that's all we use it for. My previous Lexus 350 caused Sacrum pain after long drives. Six weeks in physical therapy at $600+/week definitely makes a few miles per gallon mileage difference a non-issue. If you want a performance vehicle get something else. The Enclave definitely is a land cruiser.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, heated and cooled is great Ride is soft, steering is easy Sound system, interior environmental controls are very nice

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage needs to be improved for highway speeds Speed control hard to access/set Limited blind spot view on side-mirrors

Like an ocean liner (a thirsty one though)
By bigbaddave

2011 Buick Enclave SUV CXL1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I've had the CXL1 AWD for a week and am still adapting to a vehicle that reminds me of an ocean liner. It's very stately and is not the kind of crossover you'd want to be manoeuvring in a tight parking lot. My wife wanted a leather-seated vehicle, so I test drove the Toyota Highlander, Subaru Outback, Mazda CX9, Acura MDX and Chevrolet Traverse. The Enclave beat the lot. I love the exterior design but some of the interior controls are oddly placed. The gas mileage so far has been disappointing (no shocks there) and I haven't yet worked out a totally comfortable seating arrangement. My 15-year-old daughter though says the Enclave is "sick", which is a great compliment coming from her.

Favorite Features

1) The controls are straightforward. I have no time for fiddly displays and thousands of buttons that need to be programmed. I chose the CXL1 in part because I didn't want to have to deal with the navigation screen. Even without the manual the dashboard is easy to understand 2) The heating system works well, almost too well. The interior heats up very quickly 3) There is plenty of space, both for passengers and cargo 4) The vehicle is quiet 5) The Enclave has a genuinely luxurious feel 6) The build quality looks to be excellent 7 The acceleration is fine for drivers used to the 0-60 mph in 11 seconds that we got on our old Oldsmobile Silhouette

Suggested Improvements

1) The gas consumption is unimpressive, but you have a 3.6 litre engine hauling a 5,000 pound vehicle 2) The rear visibility is bad 3) The rear view camera is situated too low down and if it's raining, water covers the lens 4) The door storage panels are too small and won't hold a normal sized road map 5) Some of the controls are in the wrong place. Buttons for the rear view wiper, rear window heater and ventilation fans are too low on the dashboard and you have to look away from the road to activate them 6) The keys hang down in such a way that they knock against the driver's right knee 7) Your left knee will bang against the side of the car while the right hits the central console