Used 2009 Buick Enclave SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Buick Enclave - Consumer Reviews

2009 Buick Enclave SUV

View reviews for a specific Enclave model:

Expensive vehicle to own
By donbee1

2009 Buick Enclave SUV CX 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my 2009 Enclave used with 60K on the clock a year and a half ago. Since then had to replace high pressure fuel pump, battery, and just got it back from the shop after having BOTH catalytic converters replaced for check engine light and rough running. I have owned a bunch of cars in my life and never had a catalytic converter go bad, let alone two on the same car at the same time. Love the ride and gagetry but repairs very expensive. Definately not a do it your self repair vehicle. Mileage combined around 20. I expected a little better. The third Buick I have owned and may be the last. The extended warranty was useless. Only covered "internal" parts.

Favorite Features

Back up camera and collision warning. Automatic climate control. Remote start. Power liftgate. Quiet comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

Brighter cabin lights. I have upgraded the upper console and added LED lights to liftgate.

Beware! Unreliable!
By hchambley

2009 Buick Enclave SUV CXL 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased my used 2009 Enclave approx. 6 months ago. Carfax report looked good and a friend of mine had one and loved it. I have loved and sang praises of my new car! I traded my 2009 Yukon XL for this car to save on gas and loved the downsize and savings. Since I purchased my Yukon brand new and never had issues, I opted out of the extended warranty on this car thinking I wouldn't have issues either. Boy was I wrong! Within a month one of the coil packs went out but it was replaced at no charge under dealership 30 day warranty. About a month and a half ago I started having transmission problems and my transmission needed to be replaced. Within two weeks of it being replaced started

Favorite Features

having traction control problems causing the engine power to be reduced. Also discovered that two more coil packs were going out and the throttle body as well. I'm at the point of should I continue to pay to get these things fixed or trade for another vehicle. I absolutely love the cars features but hate the problems I am having. I've also seen some of the minor cosmetic problems other reviews have mentioned. Save your money and do NOT buy this car!

Love the Enclave but hate my car
By kreshe

2009 Buick Enclave SUV CX 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I wish these reviews were posted before I purchased mine in 2011. After buying the car, I had issues with the engine light (gas tank cap leaked), water pump, air not blowing cold (dealer still unable to locate the problem), I just had my transmission rebuilt (two shops said they have seen this with this vehicle, Traverse and Acadia) and a day after shelling out over $3K, my engine light comes on (possible catalytic converter)!!! I am tired of the problems but after spending all of this money, I cannot afford another vehicle. I seriously wish General Motors would look into all of these issues!

Favorite Features

When it works, it drives well and I really love the car. I also love the features and the way the car is designed. It is very roomy with the seven seats and has enough space when you let the third row down. When I can afford another car (and doing thorough research), I may get another (but not this model year).

Suggested Improvements

A transmission should not go out when a car is five years old and should not have had issues with the water pump, air condition, and catalytic converter. I've had so many issues and the majority of them were not under warranty.

No Longer Own Ours... Buyer Beware!!!
By sfreid1

2009 Buick Enclave SUV CXL 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

When the Enclave is working properly, it is an excellent car. Quiet, comfortable, and fairly powerful for an SUV. However, there was rarely a time where everything was in proper working order. Our first major issue was the entire throttle body going out, which also caused the entire electrical system to crash, leaving us stranded on the side of a busy road, partially blocking traffic. This experience also gave us a chance to try out Onstar, which was worthless. The hazards also drained the battery after one hour, so they didn't work. After that, buttons snapped off, brakes needed replacement, transmission, and power steering prob. We just bought a fully loaded 2014 Infiniti QX60 and love it!

Favorite Features

Quiet, ride comfort, fairly powerful, good looks.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, build quality, transmission, brakes, RELIABILITY!

Enclave Woes!
By vsabre

2009 Buick Enclave SUV CXL 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2009 Enclave in 2012 and in the first year I owned it, I have had the following problems: 1. Timing Chain, 2. Water pump, 3. Front Struts, 4. Rack and Pinion, 5. Power Steering Pump, 6. Engine Mount, 7. Washer fluid pump and 8 Transmission. And since the car never goes more than one week without a check engine light coming on (which disables the remote start), the remote start is not available most of the time. Other than that, I love the car.