A bad investment I still want to love
By fortiter on
2008 Buick Enclave CXL 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)
The Enclave is a great car and I do not like speaking ill about it, but our vehicle has been very disappointing in terms of reliability. We thankfully purchased it under warranty at 30K and it required a new power steering pump, rack and pinion, a radio, and other minor repairs all covered under warranty. Since then, several issues have come up which were not under warranty. The moonroof was leaking and require an $800+ repair for a new seal and replacement of some of the drainage channels. The heating actuator failed to the tune of $400+ in repairs. I was quoted a cost of $200 to replace the key FOB which went bad. Overall, not what I expect from a "luxury vehicle" in terms of quality.
Favorite Features
Seating for 7, durable leather, strong and dependable engine (at least for now). Extremely quiet for the size the cabin and smooth to drive. Clean shifting transmission. Absent of the issues which have infortunately plagued our vehicle, it is a great family ride. But I cannot in good faith recommend the vehicle to others because our problems outweigh the benefits of owning an Enclave.
Suggested Improvements
Eliminate the 19" rim option (which I believe already has been corrected). Rubber was over $1400 and there were only two tire options available. As stated, reliability and cost-to-own is an issue from my experience. We have not gone more than three months without an problem on the vehicle. I also believe that Buick should stand behind issues that question the integrity of the design. The water leak problem from the moonroof is something which would turn away buyers and can not reasonably be attributed to wear and tear. Quite frankly, it just looks bad for the quality and does not encourage consumers to speak well about their experience.