Used 2008 Buick Enclave SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Buick Enclave - Consumer Reviews

2008 Buick Enclave SUV

View reviews for a specific Enclave model:

Buyer Beware, Extremely Unhappy CustomerÂ…
By smithe2

2008 Buick Enclave SUV CXL 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I am joining this discussion, as we are also having an issue with our 2008 Buick Enclave. We need a new transmission. We have a 3/5/R wave plate fracture. It appears that this is a very common issue with the 2008 Buick Enclave, yet GM does not see a need to do a recall. I see unsatisfied Enclave consumers, on these forums, that are having issues with their transmission. We brought it to the service department, expecting it was still under warranty. To our surprise it was not, due to the in service date of the vehicle. Due to this date, we had missed the warranty coverage by six months. The service department quoted us $4900 to replace the transmission. We had a friend recommend calling GM direct and see if they had any cost assistance they could offer, let our frustration continue. I would like to cover the pain in detail, but there is not enough time. Basically after countless phone calls and two and half weeks later, I was told that they would not offer any help and per our case rep 70,000 miles for a vehicle, was a lot of miles. Imagine my shock that you could by a $50,000 vehicle and only expect to get 70,000 miles out of it. The woman who handled my case was rude and even suggested that maybe I should have bought a different brand vehicle. I did not expect GM to absorb the full cost, but I was hoping they would split the cost of the repair. I have owned GM vehicles for over ten years and after this experience, I am not sure I will ever buy or recommend another GM product. Any thoughts or help out there, I am open to suggestions.

so far so good...
By dpgull

2008 Buick Enclave SUV CXL 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

well dispite all the horror stories I read about a few major issues, I decided to take the plunge and buy a very well equipped 2008 CXL (everything but the folding mirrors, 110volt outlet and articulating headlights). It was a 1 owner car that was dealer maintained and I had access to all the service records. It seems the original owner had already addressed the steering (full replacement) and strut issue, and at 80,000 miles it runs tighter and quieter than the Mercedes M Class it replaced. Also I got an excellent price for the car well below book value. I did purchase a 3/36,000 extended warranty through my credit union which covers all major component, so if that wave plate goes...

Favorite Features

This car is tight and comfortable. It's like a minivan but way cooler and AWD. I see no evidence of poor build quality, but mine was also a late model year 6/2008 production. Perhaps they worked some kinks out...super quiet and it tows my small camper

Suggested Improvements

Fuel mileage is worse than my V8 M class and it lacks power. I drive mellow anyways so it's no huge deal. Had to add an aftermarket isimple Bluetooth/iPhone module to nav stereo. 2009 and on had it. Wish they could have programmed this car with onstar remote link. Also note if you have a newer (2011 or newer) garage door opener the homelink will not work without a $40 repeater.

Honeymoon is over. Still working on the marriage
By grnmama

2008 Buick Enclave SUV CXL 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Bought 2008 Enclave CLX new. Have since had warranty replacement/repair of GPS (twice), water pump, sunroof leak, and various small things. Many interior trim pieces broke, were glued on in service, only to fall off later. When the warranty was up we started to have steering problems. Found out it was the rack and pinion steering failing at 75,000 miles, a known design flaw for this platform. I have tried to contact our service rep at the dealership and have not had a return call twice. Had it repaired elsewhere. Too bad this didn't happen before we bought the 2013 Buick LaCrosse 3 months ago!!! Would like a GM representative to contact us.

Favorite Features

Comfort features great, chair adjustments, chair heating, heating personalization.

Suggested Improvements

Rack and Pinion steering **** Interior trim installation permanency

So sad this is happening to a vehicle I have loved to drive
By grits18

2008 Buick Enclave SUV CXL 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Mar 2011 power steering whine and locking up repaired under warrenty. Nov 2011 check engine light on, replaced solenoid under warrenty. Feb 2012 check engine light on, service stabilitrack, service traction control, traction control goes on and off, engine loses power, replaced throttle body covered under warrenty. Jan 2013 check engine light, service stabilitrak, service traction control, traction control goes on and off. No longer under warrenty repair is to replace valve cover and seal as the original is a flawed design and has been re-designed. Cost near $1000.00. GM takes NO responsiblity and no recall as not a "safety" issue. No but it is a flaw GM is well aware of!!!

Suggested Improvements

GM should stand behind their product. I didn't expect to purchase a high end vehicle have to do major repairs due to a design flaw.

A bad investment I still want to love
By fortiter

2008 Buick Enclave SUV CXL 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

The Enclave is a great car and I do not like speaking ill about it, but our vehicle has been very disappointing in terms of reliability. We thankfully purchased it under warranty at 30K and it required a new power steering pump, rack and pinion, a radio, and other minor repairs all covered under warranty. Since then, several issues have come up which were not under warranty. The moonroof was leaking and require an $800+ repair for a new seal and replacement of some of the drainage channels. The heating actuator failed to the tune of $400+ in repairs. I was quoted a cost of $200 to replace the key FOB which went bad. Overall, not what I expect from a "luxury vehicle" in terms of quality.

Favorite Features

Seating for 7, durable leather, strong and dependable engine (at least for now). Extremely quiet for the size the cabin and smooth to drive. Clean shifting transmission. Absent of the issues which have infortunately plagued our vehicle, it is a great family ride. But I cannot in good faith recommend the vehicle to others because our problems outweigh the benefits of owning an Enclave.

Suggested Improvements

Eliminate the 19" rim option (which I believe already has been corrected). Rubber was over $1400 and there were only two tire options available. As stated, reliability and cost-to-own is an issue from my experience. We have not gone more than three months without an problem on the vehicle. I also believe that Buick should stand behind issues that question the integrity of the design. The water leak problem from the moonroof is something which would turn away buyers and can not reasonably be attributed to wear and tear. Quite frankly, it just looks bad for the quality and does not encourage consumers to speak well about their experience.