Used 2008 Buick Enclave SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Buick Enclave SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Enclave model:

Steering noise
By txhawgfan50

2008 Buick Enclave SUV CXL 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I am losing confidence in my 08 Enclave after 2 fairly expensive and out of warranty repairs. Aug 2013- I notice an intermittent whining noise while driving. Take care in and tell mechanic I think brake pad wear indicators are responsible and viola-I need front and rear brake replacement at a cost of $900. Well, I think, at least the whine ill be gone. But no! The whine returns and is more frequent. Then I notice a clear, oily leak towards left rear of car. Take car in and viola- I need rack and pinion replacement on a car with 83,000 miles. This repair comes in at $1100 and not under warranty. This steering issue seems to be a theme with the 08 Enclave. Will never buy GM again!

Run away from this car!
By nanax4

2008 Buick Enclave SUV CXL 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Bought used as a GM Certified with very low miles and a clean service history, but have since been in the shop for steering issue, Nav failure., air conditioning stopped working in back, electrical issues, and complaints about the transmission. Now it's sitting in the shop needing a new transmission with no warranty coverage. It only has 73K miles and has been well maintained...I just dont understand how GM can ignore the transmission issues. Just google it and see complaint after complaint about wave plate failure. I plan on giving GM the chance to make it right, but will take additional action if necessary!

Interior comfort

Stand by your product! No way it has ever gotten the stated gas mileage which is one of the major reasons I purchased it instead of a full size model. It has blind spots, and needs more power...

Buick Enclave Lemon
By bird30

2008 Buick Enclave SUV CXL 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased the 2008 Buick Enclave loaded in 2008 as I wanted a Luxury SUV and wanted to support the American Car Maker's in time of crisis. I made a huge mistake! My car has had every seal replaced since I purchased it and barely has 60,000 miles on it. The car has been serviced and taken care of since I purchased and babied since 2008. The engine seals went out at 30,000 miles, numerous times the airconditioning system has been fixed over and over for problems (4+ times), steering gear/drive problems, water pump seals, rear tail gate piston's replaced, etc., etc. etc. The care is beautiful and comfortable but the biggest lemon and disappointment I have ever purchased.

Buick will need to stand behind their product and fix the thousands of complaints about these vehicles if they want returning customers. I am in Nursing school right now and the car is paid off, but it will be the first thing I get rid of when I graduate if it does not break me first! So disappointed in this car for as beautiful and comfortable as it is! Beware!

BAD TRANSMISSION!!!!
By msgoodie

2008 Buick Enclave SUV CXL 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Buyer Beware! I absolutely love the design of the vehicle. It's perfect for my family. As previous posts mention, the wave plate is a problem. The service engine light kept coming on and it kept losing power. I had to keep bringing it in and they said it was fixed and wouldn't have the problem again. Unfortunately, the problem persisted and after having my transmission rebuilt at only 48,000 miles, I just had it rebuilt again at 56,000 miles. Crazy right!! Unfortunately, I'm now out of warranty. I have to figure out how to get rid of this vehicle that has a carfax report with multiple transmission issues.

build better transmission

Buyer Beware, Extremely Unhappy CustomerÂ…
By smithe2

2008 Buick Enclave SUV CXL 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I am joining this discussion, as we are also having an issue with our 2008 Buick Enclave. We need a new transmission. We have a 3/5/R wave plate fracture. It appears that this is a very common issue with the 2008 Buick Enclave, yet GM does not see a need to do a recall. I see unsatisfied Enclave consumers, on these forums, that are having issues with their transmission. We brought it to the service department, expecting it was still under warranty. To our surprise it was not, due to the in service date of the vehicle. Due to this date, we had missed the warranty coverage by six months. The service department quoted us $4900 to replace the transmission. We had a friend recommend calling GM direct and see if they had any cost assistance they could offer, let our frustration continue. I would like to cover the pain in detail, but there is not enough time. Basically after countless phone calls and two and half weeks later, I was told that they would not offer any help and per our case rep 70,000 miles for a vehicle, was a lot of miles. Imagine my shock that you could by a $50,000 vehicle and only expect to get 70,000 miles out of it. The woman who handled my case was rude and even suggested that maybe I should have bought a different brand vehicle. I did not expect GM to absorb the full cost, but I was hoping they would split the cost of the repair. I have owned GM vehicles for over ten years and after this experience, I am not sure I will ever buy or recommend another GM product. Any thoughts or help out there, I am open to suggestions.

• SUV