2008 Buick Enclave Consumer Reviews 3

2008 Buick Enclave - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Enclave model:

2008 Enclave Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Aging Enclave
By usabill

2008 Buick Enclave CXL 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We've had the car now for 4 years with less than 40,000 miles and have run into a few snags - all covered by warranty. 1. Both retractable mirrors stopped working. 2. Battery went dead warranty covered replacement. 3. The vehicle one day left me dead in a parking lot and would not jump start. Both ONStar, & car phone wouldn't work but other electrical did. It had to be towed to dealer they stated anti-theft system locked up and "only" dealer could reset. This is a worry if I had been out camping in remote location. 4. GPS NAV system disk error - had to replace entire radio system. 5. Water pump failed - had to pull off road and call for tow.

Favorite Features

Quite car to drive - very luxurious for driver and passengers.

Suggested Improvements

Electrical systems need to have some sort of backup or override system. Having the vehicle go into anti-theft mode and ONLY dealer can reset is real concern. This aspect alone will cause me to seek another vehicle once time comes because we travel to many remote regions in the desert.

Stay away from the 2008 Enclave,Traverse,Acadia
By fr8bil

2008 Buick Enclave CXL 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

In '08 models of the GM vehicles sharing the "Lambda" platform including Enclave, Traverse and Acadia, GM built the V-6 using a defective timing chain. These chains are prone to stretching which throws a trouble code 1st or causes major engine damage. GM/Buick's solution is to re-program the on-board oil life monitor to advise owners to change oil more frequently which will not fix anything. If the vehicle is still under warranty when the chains stretch, they will be replaced with completely different part numbers. If not under warranty you are screwed for about a $4-$5K repair. GM refuses to do a recall and there should be a class action pn this issue. Cargo door latch, steering squeaks

Favorite Features

Styling, interior room, handling, comfortable driving position. Cargo room.

Suggested Improvements

Replace all '08 engine timing chains via model year recall. Engine badly needs more power to move a 5000lb. vehicle...add turbo option to preserve fuel mileage which now runs about 19-20 hwy.

The Most Awesome Vehicle We Have Ever Owned!
By bob_w

2008 Buick Enclave CXL 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We bought our Enclave in August of 2007. We have had only 1 problem. The GPS unit just did stop working. Other than that it has been extremely reliable. It rides like a dream and is very versatile. We keep a car for a long while, therefore we spend a lot of time in selection. We drove all vehicles in this class before making our decision. My wife just knew that she wanted the Volvo before we started. 13 vehicle test drives later we are picking the options and color of our new Enclave. If I had to replace it today, I would probably get it again!

Favorite Features

It is a true 7 passenger vehicle. That would be comfort for all 7! The problem is that whenever we go somewhere we always have to drive because everyone loves the Enclave! We love the amount of room for luggage and vacation purchases. The ride and low noise level make it the perfect vehicle for a trip or just riding around town. The style is the same now as it was when we bought ours. So some people think that we have a new vehicle! But the classy look did attract us to this vehicle right away. And we still like the "look"!

Suggested Improvements

The only thing that might be nice would be arm rests on the front seats. Other than that I can't think of any.

Trying to be loyal
By manymiles

2008 Buick Enclave CXL 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Come on GM, where is the quality? We have 48,000 miles on our Enclave. In the last four months we have replaced the rear HVAC unit, steering speed sensor, water pump, rewired the trailer harness (incorrect from factory), replaced a screw that was loose from the air box and rattling (very annoying), and now a tpms is faulty causing a low tire every morning! Trying hard to remain a GM fan but these problems are making it difficult. If we travel very far these days we always take our Acura, VERY DEPENDABLE!!!

Favorite Features

Love the looks, soft ride and remote start!

Suggested Improvements

Quality, quality, quality! For this price range should have a much nicer stereo system. Buttons and switches are typical GM, cheap! Would also be nice to stop the liftgate at 3/4.

GM Quality gone?
By creeker00

2008 Buick Enclave CXL 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Switched over from Dodge/Jeep to GM in purchasing the 08' Enclave and what a mistake that was. Guess next time I will go with a Ford, as GM and Dodge have obviously went way downhill. Car rides better than any I've driven. Seat comfort and features such as dual climate control, heated seats, etc. are great. But, with under 50,000 miles on the vehicle the control buttons have lost their paint, the leather seats are terribly worn just from normal use, the rear climate control has had to be replaced due to non-functioning and is acted up again. Also, the transmission had to be completely replaced after 40,000 miles and the rack and pinion had to be replaced. Poor, Poor quality for $37K.

Favorite Features

Dual climate control system.

Suggested Improvements

Drive train reliability, overall build quality. For a $37K vehicle I expect a $37K vehicle, not a $27K vehicle...

For Fair Weather only!
By EAS

2008 Buick Enclave CX 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

If you live in an area that has rain and/or snow - please reconsider purchasing a 2008 Enclave. This car is terrible on wet roads. All else seems to be fairly good; no other issues.

Favorite Features

Good looking vehicle.

Regret Purchase
By wilson

2008 Buick Enclave CXL 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I really regret purchasing my Buick Enclave. This is the first time I have purchased a Buick and it will be the last! Had to have transmission fixed. It took 3 weeks. Now having the same problem. When driving the car suddenly downshifts and I go from 65mph to 45mph and can not do anything about it. The last time I lost all power steering. Very dangerous when it happens on the highway. My car is at the dealership right now and I do not want it back!

in the shop 17 times!
By Dr. D

2008 Buick Enclave CXL 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have had numerous problems with my Enclave. It has been in the shop 17 times, towed 4 times and been jumped 3 times. I first had the battery replaced w/in 8 months of ownership and it has been downhill since. The odometer malfunctioned, water pump replaced in the 2nd year and the transmission was replaced after 2 years. The car has leaked, trunk malfunctioned, On Star was repaired and though I know I am leaving out things, you get the gist of my experience. The time spent and money wasted on car rentals is beyond acceptable. The only positive in my Buick experience is that the service center staff were wonderful and empathic; Kim went out of her way to help me out. Buyer beware!

Favorite Features

I am so damaged by the lack of reliability, I cannot find any. Maybe the auto start feature......

Suggested Improvements

Self explanatory ie. reliability. Also the front pillar and side view mirror together create a huuuge blind spot for both short and taller drivers.

Serious Reliability Issues
By SunShine

2008 Buick Enclave CXL 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I wanted to love this car because it has the features that I needed, and it is my first American built car. Unfortunately, this car has had terrible reliability. The transmission had to be replaced, several rattle and motor sounds had to be fixed, the air conditioner had to be fixed twice already and it still doesn't work, and I just had to be towed, one week after my 50,000 maintenance, because of brake issues. I was on my way to taking my daughter to the hospital! I seriously regret purchasing this car.

Favorite Features

Third row seat that an average size adult can use Beautiful lines inside and out Price for features

Suggested Improvements

Reliability!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smoother shifting at higher speeds Slightly longer seat cushion on second row seats

Buick Enclave
By donald longest

2008 Buick Enclave CXL 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This is a great vehicle. The only things to improve is the small rear window and needs more Hp